TV licensing...

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
leftpoole

Re: TV licensing...

Post by leftpoole »

Hello,
As far as I am aware, watching iPlayer on a computer is classed as requiring a TV Licence.
Regards,
John
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

leftpoole wrote:Hello,
As far as I am aware, watching iPlayer on a computer is classed as requiring a TV Licence.
Regards,
John

maybe but the news on BBC new catchup on NowTv boxes dont use iplayer it has a separate app. A loop hole I suspect

ah the good old beeb trying to turn the clock back with the Generation Game

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-43617852

glad none of my cash is going to support that nonsense

"The Telegraph's Gerard O'Donovan gave the show one star in his review of the Easter Sunday episode.

"If the BBC doesn't think a revival is potentially good enough to beat the Saturday night competition on ITV, then it has no business reviving The Generation Game in the first place," he wrote.

"As for the show itself, there's little to say other than that it was a shameless carbon copy of memorable moments from The Generation Game of the 1970s or 80s.

"In terms of what we should expect from prime time Easter television, this fell well short of the mark. And it focuses the mind on what we should be saying to those responsible for entertainment at the BBC: stop trying to revisit the past. Go away and think up some original ideas."

what next Dads Army 2018 :lol:
Graham

Post by Graham »

. . . . Go away and think up some original ideas."

That is the challenge. 50+ years of television has produced a huge body of creativity.

Now, only very occasionally, something extraordinary appears.

The rest is just filling.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Graham wrote:
. . . . Go away and think up some original ideas."

That is the challenge. 50+ years of television has produced a huge body of creativity.

Now, only very occasionally, something extraordinary appears.

The rest is just filling.

Live events are good. Coverage is always improving. BBC doesn't seem to understand this and even their news is studio-bound rollng news mindlessly repeating the same few headlines instead of live coverage or detailed exlanations and live sports all too often shunted to the low-quality red button while the HD channels show delayed clichéd highlights packages. :roll: I am so glad I can see a range of foreign broadcasts in addition to our plentiful but staid ones. The UK seems to make more good drama than other European broadcasters but finding it in among the piles can be difficult.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

leftpoole wrote:Slightly weird as I expected.
I bet you read newspapers to get the daily crap?
You really need TV to keep abreast of life and be a reasonably normal person, in my opinion.
Plus there’s cycling sport on TV
John

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my stupid phone.

I don't read newspapers, nor do I watch much television (I do watch box sets and films, and some sports).

Why would you need a TV to 'keep abreast of life'? my life happens here, I don't need anything 'tele' to keep me abreast of it, in fact too much 'tele' anything detracts from actually having a life...

I really don't miss broadcast television, and if it could just go away so we could have some more bandwidth for PMSE devices then I'd be much happier.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Mick F wrote:Update.
Here we are in April, and nothing from the TVL people.
Not a sausage.
Letter arrived yesterday ............. dated March.

It's addressed to The Occupier, stating that they are threatening to carry out an investigation of the property unless The Occupier contacts them first with a declaration of TVL or non-TVL.

I'm ignoring it to see what happens next.
Mick F. Cornwall
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Mick F wrote:
Mick F wrote:Update.
Here we are in April, and nothing from the TVL people.
Not a sausage.
Letter arrived yesterday ............. dated March.

It's addressed to The Occupier, stating that they are threatening to carry out an investigation of the property unless The Occupier contacts them first with a declaration of TVL or non-TVL.

I'm ignoring it to see what happens next.

well sooner or later they will find out who you are send a personally addressed letter ( more work for them :D :lol: ) thats the next stage
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Sorry, sort of wrong there.
We got the letter whilst we were away - Monday 2nd to Saturday 7th. A friend looked after the cats and checked the post. The letter was on the kitchen table when we got home Saturday evening. It was probably posted in March but got caught up in the bank holidays.

Yes, no doubt they will catch up with us and sort their records out - electoral role maybe? - and we'll get another auto-produced letter.

I would like them to actually write a real letter.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Received another letter. Not a real letter, just a pro-forma with computer produced signature.
They say they'll be sending out "an Officer".

As we haven't heard from you, an Officer will visit your property soon.

Your property is unlicensed. An Officer has now been scheduled to visit this address to confirm your circumstances.

Note the word Officer with a capital letter.
Mick F. Cornwall
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

sooner or later they will tell you what they can do to unlicenced viewers meaning really you as they assume you are a criminal.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

leftpoole wrote:As far as I am aware, watching iPlayer on a computer is classed as requiring a TV Licence.
True, but here's a loophole I think.

Chatting in the pub's garden yesterday evening to some friends, they were asking if we'd watched Trump and Macron together and their body language etc. I replied that we don't have a telly, so no we hadn't actually seen it.

They replied that they don't have a telly either, but they'd seen the BBC coverage on Facebook.

Therefore if you can't watch live telly, and you can't watch iPlayer either, you can watch it via a different medium.
Mick F. Cornwall
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Emphasis on "Live".

Letters sound usual threatening in assumption your are law breaking :roll:
And misuse of licence payers money.

I am sure a solicitor could drive a bus through that..............
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Something that's only occurred to me this morning is that the BBC's news www seems to be increasingly displaying items which consist of only a clip of video, rather than perhaps using a bit of vid to illustrate a written article. eg, As part of today's local election analysis, there's comment from elections guru John Curtice, but it's only in the form of a video clip.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-politic ... on-results

I had thought that this was just one more example of dumbing down: anybody with the attention span of a gnat is more likely to watch a short vid than read a couple of paragraphs. Perhaps it's more sinister than that. :? Reference has been made to loopholes but before you can spot a loophole, you need to be confident of the law and not "I should of thought..." It's just me surmising, but I wonder if the apparent move to showing more clips like this is a cunning plan. :shock:

The suggestion that signing-up for facebook would enable me to watch Donald Trump in playback or even Donald Duck seems like one more good reason for not signing-up. :lol:
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

thirdcrank wrote:Something that's only occurred to me this morning is that the BBC's news www seems to be increasingly displaying items which consist of only a clip of video, rather than perhaps using a bit of vid to illustrate a written article. eg, As part of today's local election analysis, there's comment from elections guru John Curtice, but it's only in the form of a video clip.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-politic ... on-results

I had thought that this was just one more example of dumbing down: anybody with the attention span of a gnat is more likely to watch a short vid than read a couple of paragraphs. Perhaps it's more sinister than that. :? ....

Might be but I tend to avoid video clips in online news (I get then in Guardian & Independent but never even start them). I find reading an article quicker than watching the videos.

But, in the case of the BBC is might also be avoidance of criticism about their "scope" i.e. other press media (e.g. newspapers) complain that the BBC online news takes online traffic away from them and thus they lose advertising revenue and that it is unfair competition as the BBC is not facing the same commercial pressures and that the text online news is something the BBC have sort of decided to move themselves into rather than being part of their core "raison d'être".

Ian
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

But a bit off-topic but, maybe urban myth or maybe "I fell for it" but apparently there is a TV channel now where young girls take their tops off and giggle about and blokes telephone them for a "chat". Joys of the Murdoch empire? Wonders of modern technology?

Ian