TV licensing...

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Oldjohnw

Re: TV licensing...

Post by Oldjohnw »

Mick F wrote:Did I hear that the PM will be making daily announcements on the telly regarding the Virus?
If so, how do people without a telly know what he's saying?
During this Virus outbreak, are we going to get free telly?

Try a radio. Or the gov.uk website.
John
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes, of course.
I was being facetious about it. :lol:

The news said that the PM would be on television, but didn't say you could hear or read it in or on any other medium.
Mick F. Cornwall
Patrickpioneer

Post by Patrickpioneer »

I don't have a tele but they have granted, yes granted me a two year period of not having a tele and then after two years they will ask me again if i still don't have a tele,
its very kind of them.
carpetcleaner

Post by carpetcleaner »

Patrickpioneer wrote:I don't have a tele but they have granted, yes granted me a two year period of not having a tele and then after two years they will ask me again if i still don't have a tele,
its very kind of them.

If a private citizen persisted in asking someone else to confirm that they were not committing a criminal offence with no evidence whatsoever they had ever committed it they'd probably be done for harassment.

How would the BBC's chairman like it if I kept writing to him to ask him to confirm he hadn't committed a certain crime when I had no reason to act so impolitely?

I wonder what crime I would choose. Perhaps one which has hit the headlines in recent years in relation to BBC employees like Savile and Hall.
fullupandslowingdown

Post by fullupandslowingdown »

So..............
Now only essential travel is permitted, does that mean that the TV detector van can be re-purposed for food delivery to our hard working NHS staff?
After all, the licencing operative will be breaking the law if he/she tries to enter a house with more than one person that is not related to them, at last we can call the police on nuisance callers
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

There's a business rates holiday now.
Why isn't there a council tax holiday?

Considering the (almost) daily announcements by HMG, why can't we have TVL holiday as well?
Mick F. Cornwall
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi MickF, You surely have been on a "TVL Holiday" for years? Just view it as another tax that e are forced to pay! "Your Country Needs The Money!" :D
IGIMNCB MM
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Dunno why they don't just put the income tax rate up.
I'd be happy to pay another penny or tuppence on the pound.
Mick F. Cornwall
carpetcleaner

Post by carpetcleaner »

Mick F wrote:Dunno why they don't just put the income tax rate up.

If you want to pay more tax simply send a cheque to the chancellor at 11 Downing Street. No need to wait for the government to raise taxes for everybody.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Mick F wrote:Dunno why they don't just put the income tax rate up.

I'm sure that they will. This situation will be the only topic for the rest of the Johnson Government. It could take a generation to recover financially.
John
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi all, I personally think it take rather longer than a single generation to sort out the financial woes brought about by the bug!
More like the time it took us to pay of our debts to the USofA for WW2, not in my lifetime :( . IGIMNCB MM
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

merseymouth wrote:Hi all, I personally think it take rather longer than a single generation to sort out the financial woes brought about by the bug!
More like the time it took us to pay of our debts to the USofA for WW2, not in my lifetime :( . IGIMNCB MM

Possibly right: I used the term in th broad sense meaning 'a long time'. We haven' had the bill yet. Politicians have always claimed, rightly,that the first duty of government is protecting the people. They tend to state this in order to justify more weapons of mass destruction. We are beginning to see the real meaning.
John
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

I'm sure that this question has been answered somewhere in this thread but I can't be bothered trawling through the whole thing, so.....

My mate (really) has no TV and no TV license, he hasn't had either for years. He has recently started watching the Joe Wicks LIVE streams, on his laptop, on YouTube and he reckons that he doesn't need a TV license. He accepts that he's watching a LIVE stream but says that as it's not on or from an actual TV channel then he doesn't need a license.

I say that he's watching a live stream, it's the 'live' bit that matters and so he should have a license. However, I think that he has a point as the stream is not coming from a TV channel but YouTube.

Who's right ??
rjb

Post by rjb »

Tiberius wrote:I'm sure that this question has been answered somewhere in this thread but I can't be bothered trawling through the whole thing, so.....

My mate (really) has no TV and no TV license, he hasn't had either for years. He has recently started watching the Joe Wicks LIVE streams, on his laptop, on YouTube and he reckons that he doesn't need a TV license. He accepts that he's watching a LIVE stream but says that as it's not on or from an actual TV channel then he doesn't need a license.

I say that he's watching a live stream, it's the 'live' bit that matters and so he should have a license. However, I think that he has a point as the stream is not coming from a TV channel but YouTube.

Who's right ??

I read that Joe has fallen off his bike and is now doing his exercise regimes with a broken Wrist. :shock:
The Beeb are using your license fee to give free Dab radios to over 70's
https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/lates ... oronavirus
:wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
RickH

Post by RickH »

Tiberius wrote:I'm sure that this question has been answered somewhere in this thread but I can't be bothered trawling through the whole thing, so.....

Who's right ??

My understanding is that you need a licence if you watch the live (or near live) output of any of the UK TV stations (the channels on Freeview) even if you are watching a stream rather than the over the air broadcast. You also need one if you watch anything on BBC iPlayer. For anything else online, whether live or recorded, you don't need one.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.