TV licensing...

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
thirdcrank
Posts: 29431
Joined: 9 Jan 2007, 2:44pm

Re: TV licensing...

Postby thirdcrank » 24 Aug 2020, 3:04pm

Mick F wrote:I... I'm an obsessive sort of chap. ...


I find that hard to believe.

User avatar
Mick F
Spambuster
Posts: 49813
Joined: 7 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Tamar Valley, Cornwall

Re: TV licensing...

Postby Mick F » 24 Aug 2020, 3:22pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You've noticed?
Mick F. Cornwall

mercalia
Posts: 14005
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: TV licensing...

Postby mercalia » 31 Aug 2020, 12:02pm

so Crapita is closing lots of local offices ( where the home visitors are based?)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53968213

so makes a nonsense of the job they do for the BBC?

rjb
Posts: 3984
Joined: 11 Jan 2007, 10:25am
Location: Somerset (originally 60/70's Plymouth)

Re: TV licensing...

Postby rjb » 31 Aug 2020, 1:49pm

Ive just renewed mine but if the beeb persist with rubbish like Canada Drag Race it could well be my last time.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin, Raleigh 20, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Longstaff trike conversion on a Falcon corsa. :D

User avatar
Mick F
Spambuster
Posts: 49813
Joined: 7 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Tamar Valley, Cornwall

Re: TV licensing...

Postby Mick F » 31 Aug 2020, 3:59pm

mercalia wrote:so Crapita is closing lots of local offices ( where the home visitors are based?)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53968213

so makes a nonsense of the job they do for the BBC?
Our "local office" was Plymouth, but there was a job vacancy! :lol:
Then, our "local office" was Bristol, but there's no way on God's earth that an "investigator" would come 120miles each way to the Devon/Cornwall border, let alone to deepest darkest Cornwall. :lol:
rjb wrote:Ive just renewed mine but if the beeb persist with rubbish like Canada Drag Race it could well be my last time.
No idea about anything to do with Canada Drag Race, but is was pap like that, that made us see that it's all rubbish and not worth paying them for.

Back in the old days, we stopped watching ITV for the same reason. C4 wasn't too bad initially, but that turned into pap too.
The Beeb's rhubarb was the last straw ......... if you pardon all my metaphors. :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall

User avatar
simonineaston
Posts: 3418
Joined: 9 May 2007, 1:06pm
Location: Live & work in Briz'l

Re: TV licensing...

Postby simonineaston » 31 Aug 2020, 5:07pm

mercalia wrote:so Crapita is closing lots of local offices ( where the home visitors are based?) so makes a nonsense of the job they do for the BBC?
I'm not sure it follows that Capita's sale of local offices affects the way they do business with the BBC. The EOs will continue to work from home, like they have been for the last 6 months and may have been since the get-go, for all I know.
ttfn, Simon in Easton
(currently enjoying a Moulton TSR & a nano Brompton...)

mercalia
Posts: 14005
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: TV licensing...

Postby mercalia » 15 Sep 2020, 2:05pm

so where does all the licence fee go to? the fat cats at the bbc for one

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8734655/Zoe-Balls-1MILLION-pay-rise-Radio-2-presenter-BBCs-highest-paid-female-star-1-3million.html

But not for Mickf to read :lol:

but just for him

Capture.JPG


who the heck is Zoe Ball?
No wonder they are all smiling

as far as I can see not a single black person. oh dear....

User avatar
simonineaston
Posts: 3418
Joined: 9 May 2007, 1:06pm
Location: Live & work in Briz'l

Re: TV licensing...

Postby simonineaston » 15 Sep 2020, 7:50pm

Whilst wishing Ms. Ball no ill-will, as an individual, of course, I have zero interest in anything she thinks, does, says, or come to that, the limited scope of the hacknied play-list of old clichés she trots out each morning... if she disappeared off the face of the earth tomorrow, I would be none the wiser and couldn't care less. Same goes for the grey-haired & creased old Mr. Linelaker - he is apparently nearly as old as me... I cannot begin to understand why their respective contributions are worth an annual coughing to the tune of two and three-quarter million pounds. But there you go - just goes to show how much I have in common with The Great Unwashed. I suppose they, TGU, that is, need something to keep what passes for their minds off more difficult subjects, like the way the country is run! Stops ' em from revolting!
And I suppose, on the plus side, the longer Ms. Ball / Mr. Lanklower are busy doing their thing, the less likely they are to crop up on R3 & 4. Horrah!
Last edited by simonineaston on 15 Sep 2020, 9:38pm, edited 1 time in total.
ttfn, Simon in Easton
(currently enjoying a Moulton TSR & a nano Brompton...)

mercalia
Posts: 14005
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: TV licensing...

Postby mercalia » 15 Sep 2020, 9:15pm

simonineaston wrote:Whist wishing Ms. Ball no ill-will, as an individual, of course, I have zero interest in anything she thinks, does, says, or come to that, the limited scope of the hacknied play-list of old clichés she trots out each morning... if she disappeared off the face of the earth tomorrow, I would be none the wiser and couldn't care less. Same goes for the grey-haired & creased old Mr. Linelaker - he is apparently nearly as old as me... I cannot begin to understand why their respective contributions are worth an annual coughing to the tune of two and three-quarter million pounds. But there you go - just goes to show how much I have in common with The Great Unwashed. I suppose they, TGU, that is, need something to keep what passes for their minds off more difficult subjects, like the way the country is run! Stops ' em from revolting!
And I suppose, on the plus side, the longer Ms. Ball / Mr. Lanklower are busy doing their thing, the less likely they are to crop up on R3 & 4. Horrah!


where is she then? on tv or radio? she a dj?

User avatar
RickH
Posts: 5149
Joined: 5 Mar 2012, 6:39pm
Location: Horwich, Lancs.

Re: TV licensing...

Postby RickH » 15 Sep 2020, 9:24pm

mercalia wrote:so where does all the licence fee go to? the fat cats at the bbc for one

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8734655/Zoe-Balls-1MILLION-pay-rise-Radio-2-presenter-BBCs-highest-paid-female-star-1-3million.html

But not for Mickf to read :lol:

but just for him

Capture.JPG

who the heck is Zoe Ball?
No wonder they are all smiling

as far as I can see not a single black person. oh dear....

Wher or not you think these individuals are worth it the total of those folks pay comes to around £6 million out of a total BBC budget of about £4 billion. So around 0.15% of the total.

In terms of pay, the vast majority of the many (thousands of) people working for the BBC will be on modest incomes.

User avatar
simonineaston
Posts: 3418
Joined: 9 May 2007, 1:06pm
Location: Live & work in Briz'l

Re: TV licensing...

Postby simonineaston » 16 Sep 2020, 12:00pm

people working for the BBC
The Beeb 'saw the light' in the late eighties / early nineties and got rid of a ton of tech. & production staff. These guys all went off to work as freelancers, or if more ambitous, started a production company. I remember sharing a flat with a sound engineer, who worked silly hours when he had a contract, and then had weeks with nothing. Not a pleasant way to make a living...
ttfn, Simon in Easton
(currently enjoying a Moulton TSR & a nano Brompton...)