TV licensing...

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
rjb

Re: TV licensing...

Post by rjb »

Why isn't Carol Kirkwood on the list above. She's worth every penny of Louise Minchins salary. :(
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Mick F wrote:The cheque is in the post. :wink:
First cheque we've written since Nov 2018.
Checking (sorry about the pun) our bank account online, I see that BBC Licensing have cashed our cheque.

We await a paper TVL or at least a letter.
They can't send us an email, because they don't know it.
They can't send us a letter telling us to download the TVL as they don't know if we even have the internet here.

Therefore, I'm going to give it until Friday next week, and then write them a letter asking why they haven't sent us a paper TVL.
If still no result, I'll be sending threatening letters once a month! :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I see that BBC Licensing have cashed our cheque.
I imagine that David Attenborough is rushing round to the nearest ATM from Broadcasting House to get hold of the lolly, as we write!! :lol:
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

simonineaston wrote:
I see that BBC Licensing have cashed our cheque.
I imagine that David Attenborough is rushing round to the nearest ATM from Broadcasting House to get hold of the lolly, as we write!! :lol:

I fear his "rushing" days are behind him.

They're still trying to figure out what the scam is.

Cheque "looks" valid.
Cheque didn't bounce.
Bank transferred the money.

So what's the scam?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

A lot depends on whether Crapita does it all by computer or if there's human input. If it's the latter, they may have all clocked off early to go to the boozer to celebrate a success.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Still not watched anything, but Mrs Mick F has.
She signed the cheque and put her name (and our address) on the back.
Mick F. Cornwall
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Joint bank account?
:shock:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Of course.
All our bank accounts are joint .......... and why not?
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

TVL arrived in the post just now.
Signed by the non-existent Jackie Garswood! :lol: :lol:

However, I think the TVL is a damned cheat. We wrote the cheque on 22nd March, but the TVL expires on the 28th February! :evil: :evil: :evil:

You don't get a full twelve months. They don't tell you that they round it down to the last full month. Yes, we'll get 12months from 28 Feb next year, but we've got less than eleven months now.

Read their website.
https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/faqs
Mick F. Cornwall
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Mick F wrote: 8 Apr 2021, 12:34pm TVL arrived in the post just now.

However, I think the TVL is a damned cheat. We wrote the cheque on 22nd March, but the TVL expires on the 28th February! :evil: :evil: :evil:

You don't get a full twelve months. They don't tell you that they round it down to the last full month. Yes, we'll get 12months from 28 Feb next year, but we've got less than eleven months now.

Read their website.
Same as VED, innit.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I think - and I'll add hastily that I have no evidence to support this thought - that this represents yet another way in which modern life is slipping away from notions of fairness and equal treatment. Is this a necessarily a Bad Thing? Well I don't know but consider this: the two richest men in the US have assets roughly the same as the bottom 40% of the population - try imagining a see-saw with Musk and Bezos sitting on one end and 135,000,000 poor people struggling to sit on the other!
EDIT actually I've changed my mind - in some ways, we're probably treated more fairly than ever before, however there is a percpetion that we have a right to be treated fairly, which is a different matter...
Last edited by simonineaston on 8 Apr 2021, 3:11pm, edited 2 times in total.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
RickH

Post by RickH »

Mick F wrote: 8 Apr 2021, 12:34pm TVL arrived in the post just now.

Read their website.
I may be wrong, but I thought the TV licence has only ever been for whole calendar months. Ours has been paid on direct debit for so long, & we haven't had a break since around 1990, that I can't be completely sure though.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

The TVL runs for 12m, and they tell you that .................... but not that it's whole months.

Also .......... and this REALLY gets up my nose, is that Mrs Mick F put her name on the back of the cheque, but the TVL is in MY name.
In order to correct their mistake, I have to write to them to change who the license holder actually is! :shock:
Screen Shot 2021-04-08 at 15.35.15.png
A bit of history, that I've written on here way up thread.
We had a TVL since we first set up home after marrying. Back in those days, Mrs Mick F bought TVL stamps each time she went to the local post office. The TVL was in her name.

Eventually, in the fulness of time, she set up a DD from our bank account. This ran for decades.
We stopped watching telly, so stopped the DD and paid the balance off.
A couple or so years went by and we decided to buy a TVL outright. No doubt it was me wot bought it online.
A year later, we still weren't watching much telly, so didn't renew. They wrote to me bi-annually and I made the required declarations ................ which I got tired of doing, so ignored them.

Two more letters arrived addressed to me, which I ignored, and then every month after that, they wrote to "the legal occupier" which I ignored too.

Now, we have a telly ............. which personally I haven't watched other than a couple of Netfix things ............. so Mrs Mick F sent a cheque signed by her with her name and address on the back ............................ and they've sent the TVL to ME.

Sexist, or what?
Digging up past records?
Signed by a non-existent Capita officer who have sent all those threatening letters ............ and they knew my name all along.

Just typing this, is getting me riled up again, and Mrs Mick F keeps telling me to calm down about it all and let sleeping dogs lie.

I FEEL A VERY SNOTTY LETTER COMING ON.
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 8 Apr 2021, 12:34pmYou don't get a full twelve months. They don't tell you that they round it down to the last full month. Yes, we'll get 12months from 28 Feb next year, but we've got less than eleven months now.

Read their website.
"They expire at the end of the month and your licence starts on the day you buy it. For example, if you buy a licence today it will cover you for up to 12 months - the rest of this month and 11 months after that. Then if you renew your licence on time next year it will run for a full year. If you renew late it may not last a full 12 months."

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/faqs/FAQ25

Jonathan
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Ah, there's another section off the bottom of the FAQs, and off the bottom of my screen.
Sneaky.

It doesn't solve the issue of them sending the TVL to someone who didn't ask for it, or pay for it.
Snotty letter tomorrow.
Mick F. Cornwall