TV licensing...

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
merseymouth

Re: TV licensing...

Post by merseymouth »

Hi MickF, So "Scott Robinson" has written to you? Probably has time on his hands since he left "Neighbours" :lol: :lol: :lol:
I think you enjoy the chase, even if you are the fox! But it doesn't cause half the trouble that spam & phishing does.
The fortunate thing is that the idiots at Capita have legal right to entry, unlike folk like the Royal Mail et al, so until they overstep the mark they are just a niggle.
For myself, if I had no TV Paper trail, but didn't actually need one I would most definitely be taking the matter up with the overseeing body, thereby bring them to the state of actually having to prove that you were in fact evading a lawful duty. After that you would have a case for compensation for harassment! Have your pound of flesh, blood included :D . Go get em Floyd! MM
fullupandslowingdown

Post by fullupandslowingdown »

you'd have thought that after how many years of escalating and investigating and visiting and littering, I mean lettering, that by now they'd have either done you, or given it up as a bad job. Can only assume that they make sufficient profit from their intimidation, that the cost of thousands pointless letters sent out each month is covered.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Mick F wrote:
carpetcleaner wrote:I see no reason for a compulsory tax backed by criminal sanctions to fund Eastenders, 4 national pop music radio stations and huge amounts of junk TV already provided by commercial broadcasters.
Time and Technology have moved on, and terrestrial television has has its day. People are consuming entertainment in other ways now. We have a Netfix account for instance.

Same subject, but different, is that we have a collection of DVDs. The ones that we like, I've recorded onto hard drive, but no-one wants DVDs any more. Charity shops sell them five for a quid, and I'm told that care homes will take them off your hands, especially the old movies and musicals.

We're going to get rid of ours one way or another. They are just clutter on the shelves.

what happens if the hard disk fails? They are also your legal right to have a copy. if you get rid of them strictly speaking your copies are ilegal? Do what I have done get some plastic envelopes the same type that CEX uses and dispose of the original boxes and paper work. Then store them in boxes. If you have a lot you will be surprised the number of bin bags of the library cases you can then dispose of.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

mercalia wrote:
Mick F wrote:
carpetcleaner wrote:I see no reason for a compulsory tax backed by criminal sanctions to fund Eastenders, 4 national pop music radio stations and huge amounts of junk TV already provided by commercial broadcasters.
Time and Technology have moved on, and terrestrial television has has its day. People are consuming entertainment in other ways now. We have a Netfix account for instance.

Same subject, but different, is that we have a collection of DVDs. The ones that we like, I've recorded onto hard drive, but no-one wants DVDs any more. Charity shops sell them five for a quid, and I'm told that care homes will take them off your hands, especially the old movies and musicals.

We're going to get rid of ours one way or another. They are just clutter on the shelves.

what happens if the hard disk fails? They are also your legal right to have a copy. if you get rid of them strictly speaking your copies are ilegal? Do what I have done get some plastic envelopes the same type that CEX uses and dispose of the original boxes and paper work. Then store them in boxes. If you have a lot you will be surprised the number of bin bags of the library cases you can then dispose of.

Sensible people back them up from time to time. If they've got a machine which will take several disks they mirror them.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

merseymouth wrote:The fortunate thing is that the idiots at Capita have legal right to entry, unlike folk like the Royal Mail et al, so until they overstep the mark they are just a niggle.

Sorry, don't understand that. It doesn't make any sense

Surely if Capita have a legal right to entry as YOU have stated, they are more than just a niggle if they overstep the mark :?

Have to admit that I was under the impression that they don't have a legal right of entry without a warrant :?
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Whoops :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: , typo! Should have typed have No Legal Right to enter :roll: :roll: :roll: .
Senior moment augmented by worry over Coronavirus. :(
As a further excuse my laptop keyboard suffers from dyslexia, sorry. MM
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

We have a copy of the stuff, and we have backups, and they are all on SSD nowadays too.

I couldn't give a toss about copyright. If the DVD manufacturers can't understand that people can copy them, why should anyone care?
I've copied Garmin maps that are supposed to be "locked".
If it matters so much to these people, they need to do something to make it impossible. As it is, copies are possible so people like me will do it.

I've bought the product in the first place, so why shouldn't I use it in any way I choose?
Mick F. Cornwall
PH

Post by PH »

Mick F wrote:They're welcome to come round and we can have a chat ...... but I'm not letting them in.

If they ever come round again I'll let them in as I did last time, I told them then that if I started watching TV I'd buy a license, there's no need for the letters.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
PH wrote:
Mick F wrote:They're welcome to come round and we can have a chat ...... but I'm not letting them in.

If they ever come round again I'll let them in as I did last time, I told them then that if I started watching TV I'd buy a license, there's no need for the letters.

Micks a amateur unlike yourself, he is still one level one.
You have progressed to level two and had a physical contact with the Stasi of bbc :P
And lived to tell the tale :mrgreen:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
carpetcleaner

Post by carpetcleaner »

I've opened the door to the BBC's revenue collection staff. I just blanked them and shut the door. They are very low wage people working on behalf of a rich corporation, and are just people desperate for any wage at all. Many of them will be compelled to take such employment or risk losing benefits for turning down jobs nobody else wants. They don't get to share the good lifestyles of its in house staff, where the average wage is nearly £50,000 per year, nearly twice the UK average wage. I wouldn't dream of telling them what I think of the licence fee system, so making what must be a miserable job even worse.

Large, wealthy corporations often get poverty wage people on poor terms and conditions to do their dirty work. The BBC is no exception.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

carpetcleaner wrote:I've opened the door to the BBC's revenue collection staff. I just blanked them and shut the door. They are very low wage people working on behalf of a rich corporation, and are just people desperate for any wage at all. Many of them will be compelled to take such employment or risk losing benefits for turning down jobs nobody else wants. They don't get to share the good lifestyles of its in house staff, where the average wage is nearly £50,000 per year, nearly twice the UK average wage. I wouldn't dream of telling them what I think of the licence fee system, so making what must be a miserable job even worse.

Large, wealthy corporations often get poverty wage people on poor terms and conditions to do their dirty work. The BBC is no exception.

They are actually employees of a private company, Capita. If you've complaints about their wage levels direct them at Capita who are responsible not the BBC.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
PH

Post by PH »

carpetcleaner wrote:They don't get to share the good lifestyles of its in house staff, where the average wage is nearly £50,000 per year, nearly twice the UK average wage.

I've no idea where that figure comes from, but it's pretty meaningless, it'll be skewed by a small number of highly paid executives and celebrities. There will be many BBC staff earning below the average income at Capita.
Of course the person doing the awful job of knocking on doors deserves respect, they are just doing their job and I doubt it's anyone's dream. i had no problem with making their job as easy as possible, invited them in, answered all the questions, asked them if there was anything they's like to see, took about the same time as typing this.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Did I hear that the PM will be making daily announcements on the telly regarding the Virus?
If so, how do people without a telly know what he's saying?
During this Virus outbreak, are we going to get free telly?
Mick F. Cornwall
fullupandslowingdown

Post by fullupandslowingdown »

Mick F wrote:Did I hear that the PM will be making daily announcements on the telly regarding the Virus?

Didn't you know Mick, the precise reason why so many people don't have a telly is so they don't have to see boris.gov.uk* in action :lol:
Avoids catching something worse than corona virus; a face full of bovine brown stuff

*delete boris and insert preferred name of politician or public figure if you love boris
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Mick F wrote:Did I hear that the PM will be making daily announcements on the telly regarding the Virus?

You were already self isolating anyway.
Pubs and meeting places will be no go too.
Don't worry when it's all over someone will come and knock on your door and tell you you can come out to play :mrgreen:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.