TV licensing...

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Jdsk

Re: TV licensing...

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 8 Apr 2021, 7:06pm Ah, there's another section off the bottom of the FAQs, and off the bottom of my screen.
Sneaky.
That's strange. I don't need to scroll down on my Mac or my iPhone.

What device are you using?

Jonathan
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

MacBookAir, but I always have the windows not on full screen as I like to see the rest of the desktop too.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Mick F wrote: 8 Apr 2021, 6:40pm I FEEL A VERY SNOTTY LETTER COMING ON.
How's this for a first stab?

TV Licensing
Darlington
DL98 1TL

License Number ************

I am in receipt of a TV License that I did NOT apply for. Please find it enclosed for your attention.

My wife wants the licence, not me.

*************** wrote the cheque, wrote her name and address on the back, and posted it to you according to your instructions. She applied for the license, but you sent it to me. I consider this at best lax and sloppy, and at worst sexist and offensive.

I suggest you amend your records and re-issue the license correctly addressed.

Thank you.
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Jdsk wrote: 8 Apr 2021, 7:13pm
Mick F wrote: 8 Apr 2021, 7:06pm Ah, there's another section off the bottom of the FAQs, and off the bottom of my screen.
Sneaky.
That's strange. I don't need to scroll down on my Mac or my iPhone.

What device are you using?
Mick F wrote: 8 Apr 2021, 7:23pm MacBookAir, but I always have the windows not on full screen as I like to see the rest of the desktop too.
There's an element down the side of the window known as a scroll bar. You can use it to move the contents of the window up and down. And it shows when there's more off the bottom and top than you can currently see.

On macOS you can choose when it's visible.

Jonathan
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Mick, I feel your pain, however your response to what you see as the poor execution of a straightforward bureaucratic process is made on the assumption that your very reasonable & succinct letter will be received & read by someone who a) knows what they are doing and b) gives a [rude word deleted]. The matrices used to measure the success of their business operation are focused solely on revenue; there are no targets for, or interest in, customer relations - they simply don't care what you think or want.
I do hope my bitter cynicism is proved to be wrong, but I bet my lucky 10p it won't...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

The issue here is that they obviously have put two and two together, and paired the address to the last TVL recorded, and used that.
In all these years of my ignoring their empty and vicious threats, they knew all along who last had a license here.

How do they know I personally still live here?
I could be anywhere, and my wife be here by herself.
Absolutely shoddy.
They have no right to assume anything.
Mick F. Cornwall
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

So if you didn't pay for it, but its got your name on it.......
have you had a free TV licence?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

:lol: :lol:
One TVL per household.
Doesn't matter how many people live there and how many tellies in the household.

There needs to be a name on the TVL.
That name is the person who organised the payment and put their name on the dotted line ................ and it wasn't me.
The fact that they paired my name up to this address is abhorrent.
What right have they to even suggest I'm still alive? My wife could be in mourning or have entered a new relationship ......... or anything at all.

She signed the cheque, she put her name on it, and she posted it off.
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

How about writing politely to ask why?

Jonathan
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Maybe someone on this forum works at the TVL department and has done this to deliberately wind you up Mick f?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

For some reason, letters with a lot of capitals and underlining are often said to be written in green ink.

I've just found this:-
Green ink is a British journalistic term for the frothing of lunatics
https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Green_ink

I've never been a journalist but I received several in my official capacity.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Yes. Widely known by the same term in medicine.

And close to la maladie du petit paper.
https://www.jaad.org/article/S0190-9622(07)00425-2/pdf

Jonathan

PS: OTOH it's a really good idea to write down the time course of your condition and the questions you want to ask before medical consultations. But moderation in all things. And other colours of ink and paper are available. : - )
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I'm drifting away from TV licences but distinctively coloured ink has been a thing for many senior and not-so-senior police officers. The extroverts flourishing fountain pens with odd tints of ink, the cheapskates using felt tips etc.

Going back to my short spell at HQ in Wakefield, I remember one of the secretaries - only ACPO ranks had secretaries - was leaving and everybody chipped in for a gift + greetings card signed by everybody. I grabbed the nearest pen to sign my name and when the recipient came round to thank us all, she told me that the chief constable had told her to tell me that only he was allowed to use green ink.

"Time for a letter to Dogberry" came the cry from the back. (Dogberry is/was a feature in the Police Federation mag recording silly things like this.) I had to plead that nobody should do that as it would lead back to me.

Going back to my earliest days at work, there was a very affable and easy going inspector called Jack Woolley. His long service meant he was the "spare" inspector - covering shifts when their own inspector was absent. I had to get advice about an accident report liberally marked in purple felt-tip by Harry Bottomley. He dug deep in his pocket, got out a selection of writing implements including the right shade of purple to make an invisible correction saying "That's the one for Mr Bott."

Sadly, Jack Woolley was killed with four members of his family soon afterwards in a car crash in Spain.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Commanding Officers wrote in red ink, and admirals in green, or was it purple? .......... never saw anything hand-written by an admiral though! :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Mick F wrote: 9 Apr 2021, 11:12am Commanding Officers wrote in red ink, and admirals in green, or was it purple? .......... never saw anything hand-written by an admiral though! :wink:
Could they write, maybe only needed to issue commands verbally. :lol: