TV licensing...

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

Re: TV licensing...

Post by mercalia »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
thirdcrank wrote:Left to my own devices, I wouldn't bother with a telly, but my wife is something of a telly addict so there's no point paying for a licence if we can have one free. I suppose I do quite a bit of passive telly watching (cf passive smoking.)

AFAIK, there are no moves afoot to make it compulsory.

In Germany it is compulsory already, every household pays €200 pa approx even if one only has a radio
There are lots of good jobs in the 'Staatsfunk', National Broadcasters :wink:

yes I read they even go after people who just live there for a short time and take money from bank accounts if you refuse to pay up?

I cant see that happening here though. If the BBC/govt tried that i think you would find the yellow jackets on the streets
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Just thinking ...................

A TV Licence is a legal permission to install or use television receiving equipment to watch or record television programmes as they are being shown on TV or live on an online TV service, and to download or watch BBC programmes on demand, including catch up TV, on BBC iPlayer. This could be on any device, including TVs, desktop computers, laptops, mobile phones, tablets, games consoles, digital boxes, DVD, Blu-ray and VHS recorders.

What happens if you don't watch, but only listen? If you can't see, you can't watch.
I understand that blind people only get a 50% discount. :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
rjb

Post by rjb »

Mick F wrote:Just thinking ...................

A TV Licence is a legal permission to install or use television receiving equipment to watch or record television programmes as they are being shown on TV or live on an online TV service, and to download or watch BBC programmes on demand, including catch up TV, on BBC iPlayer. This could be on any device, including TVs, desktop computers, laptops, mobile phones, tablets, games consoles, digital boxes, DVD, Blu-ray and VHS recorders.

What happens if you don't watch, but only listen? If you can't see, you can't watch.
I understand that blind people only get a 50% discount. :lol:

Looks like your betamax is ok to record on, better get it down from the loft. :lol: :lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Do profoundly deaf people get a 50% discount just like blind people?

Oh, sorry ........... the TVL is to WATCH telly, and listening or hearing is besides the point.
Mick F. Cornwall
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

A newspaper article today claimed that the Beeb is going to step up efforts to get the millions who dont pay to pay because of the expected loss of income from providing free licences to the over 75s. Capita are handling it.

So expect a blizzard of demands through the letterbox. Great for the wood burner :lol:

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

And another thing ..............

If you're over 75 and in perfect physical health, you get a free TVL.
If you're in your 20s or 30s and utterly blind, you only get 50% off.

Where's the fairness in that?
Mick F. Cornwall
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Who said anything about fairness...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Why is Mick F bothered? He claims not to watch TV? Maybe he only listens to it :lol: :lol: :lol:
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

philvantwo wrote:Why is Mick F bothered? He claims not to watch TV? Maybe he only listens to it :lol: :lol: :lol:

Freeview radio dont need a license
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

philvantwo wrote:Why is Mick F bothered? He claims not to watch TV? Maybe he only listens to it :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not watching TV is his veganism. A badge of honour.

It's not really about anything else except letting us know. ;)
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I raised the "blind" subject and the "watching" subject due to a conversation we were having with one of our daughters. She said she knows loads of people who don't have a TVL because if they watch anything at all, it's on a mobile device away from the home. She reckons it's the end of the line for it as it's completely unenforceable. It was nice to hear it from her completely unprompted by me.

I looked up the law on it, and found the word "watch".
Not "listen", but "watch" hence raising the anomaly of a blind person licence only getting 50% off, when in actual fact if they didn't pay, they wouldn't be breaking the law as they couldn't "watch".
Mick F. Cornwall
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

In the 'old' days when TV's were analogue you could of course listen to the audio using a radio.
AFAIK no license was required (unless you go even further back to when radio licenses existed).

Which suggests that it's the type of device that you pay a license on not how you experience it.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes, in the 405 line VHF and 625 line UHF TV days, the audio was frequency modulated (FM) and the video amplitude modulated (AM) in one combined radio signal. You could indeed listen to either of them with the correct waveband radio. The video was just a buzz.
From memory, I think the audio and video elements of the combined signal were frequency separated so they didn't interfere with each other.

No doubt these digital days, you could do similar, but the equipment isn't readily available, to my knowledge, to decode the audio from the complete signal. Digital is probably still UHF as the analogue aerials will work with digital.
Mick F. Cornwall
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hello all, With regards to blind persons using a tv to get audio only, yet having to pay for a TV License?
If I remember correctly it used to be possible to buy a squawk box that put out the audio part of a TV signal? So No TV, No License needed.
One thing that puzzles me is the quoted 50% discount for blind persons, I thought that the discount was considerably less?
Take us back to the old days - TV License, Radio License, Car Radio License or even a License if you took your Tranny in the rot box!
Hang the dodgers like MickF :roll: . MM
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

merseymouth wrote:One thing that puzzles me is the quoted 50% discount for blind persons, I thought that the discount was considerably less?

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if- ... aired-aud5
I think that they think, that if you're blind, you must live with a sighted person, or a sighted person could visit, so therefore the sighted people can watch your telly.
Mick F. Cornwall