TV licensing...

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

Re: TV licensing...

Post by mercalia »

Mick F wrote:
mercalia wrote:so this is where the tv license money is going, £87m of it :roll

http://gu.com/p/b363m
A complete and utter waste of money. Thank goodness we're not involved with this stupidity.

the funny thing is that is will be those who get the free tv licence ( soon not to be ) who watch this stuff, who will have to go without? hehehe talk about irony,
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi Mick :P , Ruddy Tax Dodger! Pay up like the rest of us poor sods, you rich young folk have a duty to pay more taxes! :roll: You are younger than me so Yah Boo Sucks :wink:
They should move all of the "Soaps" and "reality"? shows onto a subscription channel, then maybe the could provide proper programmes in the Reith mode, educational and uplifting, instead of the depressing garbage that Eastenders, Corrie, Emerdale et al present!
I currently watch about 5 hours broadcast TV a week, Sport excluded, the rest of my box watching is spent viewing my ancient DVD collection.
The television of old was way better than the slick, sick rubbish broadcast these days.
"Come Dancing" was way better than "Strictly", "What's My Line" bettered "Through the keyhole", nothing currently matches the standard of "Time Team" :( .
So get on and pay more taxes, you know it makes sense. :lol: TTFN MM
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Just been watching a brilliant series on BBC (The Chronices of Mourne) about a year in the Mourne National Park. Happy to pay a licence fee for this and many similar programmes, uninterrupted by adverts. Landward, The Farming Life, Springwatch and many more.

We are not forced to watch East Enders or The Apprentice and so on.
John
RickH

Post by RickH »

I don't watch Eastenders, but I've come across plenty of folk of all ages & backgrounds who do.

OK the new set has gone well over budget but the figure for a complete rebuild & expansion (the new exterior set is significantly bigger) of a major set that has been in continuous & frequent use for 35 years probably isn't that surprising.

I've no idea what the BBC's overall spending on sets is but it wouldn't surprise me if that would make the Eastenders figure look minor in comparison.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Oldjohnw wrote:Just been watching a brilliant series on BBC (The Chronices of Mourne) about a year in the Mourne National Park. Happy to pay a licence fee for this and many similar programmes, uninterrupted by adverts. Landward, The Farming Life, Springwatch and many more.

We are not forced to watch East Enders or The Apprentice and so on.

No but yeh but you have to pay to watch any live TV :? Irrespective of the broadcaster.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi Natural Ankling, Not just "Live" programmes! Repeats, on-line, both require a TV License. Remember also that a breech of the rgulations is a "Criminal Offence"!
The wording of the Act makes even watching Videos & DVD's a risky oursuit, because the TV itself is capable of using a broadcast signal :cry: .
When BBC airs repeats repeatedly they should be obliged to send a refund to all license payers, automatically!
Of course MickF will be piqued, as I'm sure he'd feel cheated :wink: :wink: . IGICB MM
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
merseymouth wrote:Hi Natural Ankling, Not just "Live" programmes! Repeats, on-line, both require a TV License. Remember also that a breech of the rgulations is a "Criminal Offence"!
The wording of the Act makes even watching Videos & DVD's a risky oursuit, because the TV itself is capable of using a broadcast signal :cry: .
When BBC airs repeats repeatedly they should be obliged to send a refund to all license payers, automatically!
Of course MickF will be piqued, as I'm sure he'd feel cheated :wink: :wink: . IGICB MM

On TV yesterday it was said that..............Martin Lewis says that catch up needs no licence.................?....But Iplayer does...?
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
merseymouth wrote:Hi Natural Ankling, Not just "Live" programmes! Repeats, on-line, both require a TV License. Remember also that a breech of the rgulations is a "Criminal Offence"!

On TV yesterday it was said that..............Martin Lewis says that catch up needs no licence.................?....But Iplayer does...?

thats true. the new restrictions only cover iplayer
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi again all, When I go to Catch-Up through Virgin to a BBC programme it automatically routes me to the "BBC i-Player", so catch-up for such a programme requires a license!
But above all of that if a visual device used to view even DVD's has a receiving capability that that device falls within the scope of the reulations.
Only if the capability is physically disabled is it legal for viewing without need for a licence.
I don't fancy jail food, nor can I afford to cough up for the possible fine. TTFN MM
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

merseymouth wrote:Hi again all, When I go to Catch-Up through Virgin to a BBC programme it automatically routes me to the "BBC i-Player", so catch-up for such a programme requires a license!
But above all of that if a visual device used to view even DVD's has a receiving capability that that device falls within the scope of the reulations.
Only if the capability is physically disabled is it legal for viewing without need for a licence.
I don't fancy jail food, nor can I afford to cough up for the possible fine. TTFN MM

Catchup for CH4/ITV etc ie non BBC channels is allowed not covered by the changes to the license
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

What I can't understand, is why would you want to catch up with stuff you didn't want to watch in the first place! :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Mick F wrote:What I can't understand, is why would you want to catch up with stuff you didn't want to watch in the first place! :lol:

Perhaps people want to watch some stuff at a more convenient time than the original transmission or only found out later what they had missed. eg When reading a review or hearing others going on about it.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

thirdcrank wrote:
Mick F wrote:What I can't understand, is why would you want to catch up with stuff you didn't want to watch in the first place! :lol:

Perhaps people want to watch some stuff at a more convenient time than the original transmission or only found out later what they had missed. eg When reading a review or hearing others going on about it.
I meant that people like me, don't need a catch-up system because I didn't want to watch it in the first place.

I'm of the generation who watched telly before ITV came on the scene. I watched telly almost all evening, and My dad used to tell me that I'd get square eyes I watched so much of it. :lol:

Then, as I grew older, telly became less of a habit. Eventually, we stopped putting the goggle-box on at all except for the odd programme now and again. We stopped buying the Radio Times when they privatised it as all it became was a glossy magazine like all the others. Ceefax was all we needed.

Eventually, we took the telly to the recycling yard.
The rest is history.
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Mick F wrote: ... The rest is history.

I could not have expressed it better.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

:lol: :lol: