TV licensing...

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
merseymouth

Re: TV licensing...

Post by merseymouth »

Hi again, I really should try to get up to date when it comes to research?
Barrow & Ulverston in Lancashire??? To quote Jim Royle - "My Ar*e!".
My 1890 Baedeker's Guide has both firmly in Westmorland, so I must reconfigure my thought processes to take in the newby mob!
Spot on MickF, Post Codes & those rubbish administrative areas have screwed everything up. All of my research and obtaining Civil Registration Documents supports that fact. Glad that Rutland got back its history after border tampering wreaked havoc! MM

* Why should I apologise when not in error? Berwick has moved country let alone county many times, Todmorden has been switch between counties nearly as often as Berwick ha shifted! I think you will find that it is Hebden Bridge that holds sway with regards to lesbian population, that is according to a couple of friends who thought of moving there. Yes, they are a contented lesbian couple, I take their word for it. MM
Syd

Post by Syd »

merseymouth wrote:Hi Syd, You may have lived in a stable for years but it doesn't make you a horse! Although you may do a lot of nagging :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: MM

No but I do like to learn about the areas I live in. [emoji4]
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulverston

It is too easy to contradict your claims

"Ulverston is a market town in the South Lakeland district of Cumbria, England. Historically in Lancashire, it is in the Furness area 8 miles (13 km) north-east of Barrow-in-Furness, 4 miles (7 km) south of the Lake District and just north-west of Morecambe Bay."

Too much time watching mediocre sit-coms,soft lad!
Syd

TV licensing...

Post by Syd »

Mick F wrote:Postcodes are another bugbear.
Mrs Mick F lived in Burscough, Lancashire and was born in Bootle, Lancashire.
The postcode where they lived in Burscough was a Liverpool one.
We have a Plymouth one even though Plymouth is in England, and we live in Cornwall.

Geography and heritage and boundaries have been swept away by bureaucracy and sprawl.

Leith is Leith, and Edinburgh is Edinburgh. Been there loads of times to both, and they are separate places but under the same bureaucracy.

Leith is in Edinburgh, Edinburgh is Edinburgh and includes Leith. Love those folk that think they are experts just because they have visited a place.

Yes there are people, like everywhere, that try to maintain the identity of a place. Leith’s new harbour, Newhaven, created in 1504 have since split their identity away from Leith but all live in Edinburgh.
Last edited by Syd on 20 Aug 2020, 7:33pm, edited 1 time in total.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

At least we've drifted from TV licensing.....
Syd

TV licensing...

Post by Syd »

thirdcrank wrote:At least we've drifted from TV licensing.....

That had been flogged to dead as no doubt this tangent will be soon.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Syd wrote:Leith is in Edinburgh, Edinburgh is Edinburgh and includes Leith. Love those folk that think they are experts just because they have visited a place.
Nothing to do with visiting.

There are places that have been subsumed into a Greater place.
When Greater Manchester was formed, subsumed loadsa towns and villages.

Wigan used to be in Lancashire.
Then, it was part of Greater Manchester which includes parts of Cheshire too.
Torquay and Paignton used to be in Devon, and Exeter too, but they are Unitary Authorities and no longer part of Devon ..............

............. but they still are.
Same as Wigan is still in Lancashire and Altrincham is still in Cheshire, and they will always be,

Leith is Leith and always will be. Edinburgh is Edinburgh and always will be too.
Mick F. Cornwall
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

Leith is in Edinburgh, Edinburgh is Edinburgh and includes Leith. Love those folk that think they are experts just because they have visited a place.

My insight is based on Rankin,which I love,McCall Smith,and Bartholomews maps.Never fancied Edinburgh since Jean Brodie,Hearts,Hibs and cockaleekie-prefer England and decent beers.
Syd

Post by Syd »

Mick F wrote:Leith is Leith and always will be. Edinburgh is Edinburgh and always will be too.

As a resident of the Leith area of Edinburgh we will have to agree to disagree.
Syd

Post by Syd »

mumbojumbo wrote:

My insight is based on Rankin,which I love,McCall Smith,and Bartholomews maps.Never fancied Edinburgh since Jean Brodie,Hearts,Hibs and cockaleekie-prefer England and decent beers.

Almost as reliable as basing your insight on the Daily Mail.
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

Do you get daily papers other than Aberdeen Advertiser,Leith Local and Gklasgow Gazette,and later versiions of Sun etc.I thought Ian Rankin would know more about Edinburgh than some ex-pat.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Interesting that the county boundaries reorganised in 1974 only dated from 1888.
Syd

Post by Syd »

mumbojumbo wrote:Do you get daily papers other than Aberdeen Advertiser,Leith Local and Gklasgow Gazette,and later versiions of Sun etc.I thought Ian Rankin would know more about Edinburgh than some ex-pat.

What makes you think I am an ex-pat?
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

Was refering to Alex Mcall,born Bulawayo,Zimbabwe.
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Well! I'll go to the foot of our stairs? Wikkipedia is now the font of all truth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
As for knowing about the area you live in, however temporary, is fine. I used to know Every Street in Liverpool, but no longer! TTFN MM