TV licensing...

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: TV licensing...

Post by Mick F »

Received another threatening letter yesterday.
Identical to the one received in May 2018.
Mick F. Cornwall
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hello there, At a mere 70 I pay the blood money for the so called reality TV? Very little quality stuff, so value for money it is not!
But what does annoy me greatly is the number of phishing scam e:mails I keep getting? Very official sounding, just like the HMRC ones, why can't those bloody parasites get traced & dealt with?
With the number of do gooders that keep saying we should have open door access for all who want to come here, with the tax payer to pick up the tab, yet now they want senior citizens to give up hard earned privileges! The travel pass helps me avoid using a car, which I don't own, thereby being greener that the idle a*se in the 4x4. Look after us "Oldies". TTFN MM
mjr

Post by mjr »

merseymouth wrote:But what does annoy me greatly is the number of phishing scam e:mails I keep getting? Very official sounding, just like the HMRC ones, why can't those bloody parasites get traced & dealt with?

Because people wouldn't pay enough tax for the police to deal with this and the big internet companies are now big enough that governments are scared of legislating to cut off this very lucrative income stream they have serving scammers.

merseymouth wrote:With the number of do gooders that keep saying we should have open door access for all who want to come here, with the tax payer to pick up the tab, yet now they want senior citizens to give up hard earned privileges!

I think that's a bit confused. Both wasting money on the futile theatre of "closed" borders and cutting BBC funding (which is why the free licence fees are going) are obsessions of the right wing of UK politics. A vote for open borders would probably also be a vote for better-funded public broadcasters!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Sorry but you cannot keep demanding tax cuts then expecting taxpayer funded perks.
John
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hello there, Is someone saying that I'm demanding tax cuts? Not me! Maybe M.P.s should stop trying to claim everything going on expences money would be available for better use?
But the BBC has a nerve claiming hardship, yet has lashed out mega dosh for things such as that "Eastenders" set, never seen an minute of the apparently tedious drivel. Maybe they should fund "Soaps" as they used to, all paid for by gullible advertisers?
And as for BGT, The Voice, Strictly etc, complete drivel Bring back "Come Dancing"! TTFN MM
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Free TV licences cannot be saved with cuts to salaries, says BBC

Maybe not but it would wipe self congratulatory look off their faces?

_107390288_bbcstars.jpg

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48647548
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Mick F wrote: ................ I wonder how many different ones they have?
At least two identical repetitions in the last couple of years. Maybe twenty-five different letters but with different dates .............. and the dates are only whole months, not real dates.

I would reply if they wrote a real letter to us personally and signed it with a real signature from a real person.
There is an electoral role, so any address can be paired up with the names of the occupiers.

Shoddy cheap rubbish spam coming through the post, and all paid for by the TVL.
Do it properly, and they would get proper results.
Mick F. Cornwall
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Shame, you were only 5 years away from getting a free TV licence as well Mick F!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Even if it were free, we still wouldn't have a telly.
They'd have to pay us to have one. :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

But haven't you got a 43" apple monitor you watch dvds on and iplayer catch up?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

IMac.

Youtube, Netflix, DVDs.
Also, recorded stuff from DVDs and Youtube too, all held on a hard drives. Many many GBs of it.

Mrs Mick F and Daughter2 are watching Friends via Netflix at the moment. I can't stand it, so sitting here typing away on this forum. :wink:

Not watched iPlayer or any other catchup for YEARS.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Question NOT related to us. :shock:

Someone we know has stopped her direct debit for her TVL as she's moved house and disposed of her telly.
As I understand it, the TVL isn't a subscription system like Netflix, but an annual payment.

If she's cancelled her DD, is she liable for the balance of the whole twelve months, or do they "pause" the TVL so you can carry on some other time later to consume the balance of the twelve months if you buy a new telly?

I honestly don't know, and maybe the rules have changed.
Mick F. Cornwall
mjr

Post by mjr »

mercalia wrote:Maybe not but it would wipe self congratulatory look off their faces?

Graham Norton is pictured at an awards ceremony, so that look is from others congratulating him!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Mick F wrote:If she's cancelled her DD, is she liable for the balance of the whole twelve months, or do they "pause" the TVL so you can carry on some other time later to consume the balance of the twelve months if you buy a new telly?

Neither. You tell them you're cancelling, then cancel the DD: https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if- ... funds-top7

If you buy annually, you have to request a refund of any unused months, submitting the property completion statement, final water bill or other proof of leaving the old address.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

So ...................
You're suggesting that you could have a single month of a TVL. No you can't.

If you pay by DD, you pay in arrears for 6m and in advance for the next 6m ............. or something like that.
If you stop your DD, you either have to pay for the arrears, or they pay you for the advance.

My question was asking if you can pause your TVL and carry it on at a later date.
Mick F. Cornwall