TV licensing...

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: TV licensing...

Post by Mick F »

PS:
Perhaps I'm just being grumpy because I'm ill and can't even think about doing much, let alone cycling. :cry:
Mick F. Cornwall
mjr

Post by mjr »

Mick F wrote:Isolated?
Not in the least.
Happier without a google box?
Absolutely! :D

Indeed. Boycott Google! ;)

mercalia wrote:it is easy to record your ip address: internet providers have to disclose the account details so once they have you using iplayer to watch a tv programme they have got you?

Use Tor but I bet BBC block that. iplayer is a complete PITA to use and so much worse than many alternatives, in this country and abroad. It's much easier just to record stuff when it's broadcast, but I guess then they get your money so the BBC won't care.

Psamathe wrote:It gets quite mad when as a license fee payer sitting at home in the UK on my BT landline I cannot use iPlayer and am blocked from downloading some of their published radio podcasts. I think the BBC have become another public funded body who have lost sight of their customer base (i.e. who actually stumps up the cash for their mega salaries.

Indeed. I listen to more podcasts from WNYC and CBC/RC than I do from BBC now. I just can't be doing hoop-jumping all the time. My TV box can record BBC Radio so I do that if there's anything I really want to listen to not when it's broadcast. BBC have lost the plot.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

mjr wrote:
Not in the least.

I hit the double oo instead of the double gg ............ funny though eh? :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

................ and another thing .............

Over 75s get a free TVL even if they are hail and hearty, plus living with an extended family in a big house with numerous live TV receiving equipment.
If you are registered blind, you get a 50% reduction even if you live alone.
Mick F. Cornwall
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

mjr wrote:
Not in the least.

mercalia wrote:it is easy to record your ip address: internet providers have to disclose the account details so once they have you using iplayer to watch a tv programme they have got you?

Use Tor but I bet BBC block that. iplayer is a complete PITA to use and so much worse than many alternatives, in this country and abroad. It's much easier just to record stuff when it's broadcast, but I guess then they get your money so the BBC won't care.

Psamathe wrote:It gets quite mad when as a license fee payer sitting at home in the UK on my BT landline I cannot use iPlayer and am blocked from downloading some of their published radio podcasts. I think the BBC have become another public funded body who have lost sight of their customer base (i.e. who actually stumps up the cash for their mega salaries.

Indeed. I listen to more podcasts from WNYC and CBC/RC than I do from BBC now. I just can't be doing hoop-jumping all the time. My TV box can record BBC Radio so I do that if there's anything I really want to listen to not when it's broadcast. BBC have lost the plot.

tor
wont work as you need a UK ip address
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

mercalia wrote:
mjr wrote:
Not in the least.

tor

You need more than a UK IP address as the BBC seem to have a list of UK IP addresses they don't like and reject (or a list of IP addresses they do like and accept). Some of the IP addresses I use geolocate to Manchester and are rejected by the BBC, others geolocate to London and are rejected.

Ian
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Psamathe wrote:
mercalia wrote:
mjr wrote:Indeed. Boycott Google! ;)

tor

You need more than a UK IP address as the BBC seem to have a list of UK IP addresses they don't like and reject (or a list of IP addresses they do like and accept). Some of the IP addresses I use geolocate to Manchester and are rejected by the BBC, others geolocate to London and are rejected.

Ian

whats that all about then? how are you able to change your ip address in the first place? unless you are using a tunneling server ( forgot what they are called, VPN's? ) in which case I can understand why the BBC rejects them as then any one could access their services from abroad?
Last edited by mercalia on 5 Feb 2018, 8:57pm, edited 1 time in total.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

mercalia wrote:
Psamathe wrote:
mercalia wrote:

tor

Ian

whats that all about then? how are you able to change your ip address in the first place?

Do you keep your IP address the same the whole time?

http://www.whatsmyip.org - probably depends on your ISP but a fixed IP address is usually charged extra.

Ian
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Psamathe wrote:
mercalia wrote:
Psamathe wrote:You need more than a UK IP address as the BBC seem to have a list of UK IP addresses they don't like and reject (or a list of IP addresses they do like and accept). Some of the IP addresses I use geolocate to Manchester and are rejected by the BBC, others geolocate to London and are rejected.

Ian

whats that all about then? how are you able to change your ip address in the first place?

http://www.whatsmyip.org - probably depends on your ISP but a fixed IP address is usually charged extra.

Ian

so some times the ip address your internt provider assigns you is rejected by the BBC? I wonder why that is - some one has been up to no good using that ip address I assume?
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

mercalia wrote:
Psamathe wrote:
mercalia wrote:

Ian

so some times the ip address your internt provider assigns you is rejected by the BBC? I wonder why that is - some one has been up to no good using that ip address I assume?

I did contact the BBC about it as a licence fee payer being denied access to resources they seem to include s part of the license fee - but they are not interested.

That said, it's not a massive issue as just change configs a bit and easy to get in. I'm not kicking-up about it, just pointing out how bad the BBC are at managing these things.

Ian
mjr

Post by mjr »

mercalia wrote:
mjr wrote:

tor

You can tell tor which country you want to reenter the internet in.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

Their location filtering might be working on the routing rather than the origin IP (no idea if this is possible)

If any ISPs network is struggling, packets can end up going on a bit of a world trip to get to another place in the same country.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Just thinking .........................

If you have a car and you SORN it, do DVLA write to you twelve months later and ask you again?
Perhaps they do. We've never SORN'd a car long enough to have any experience of this.

If you don't reply to the 12m reminder, what happens next?
Do they get threatening and demanding?
Do they threaten to send in the coppers with a Search Warrant?
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Mick F wrote:Just thinking .........................

If you have a car and you SORN it, do DVLA write to you twelve months later and ask you again?
Perhaps they do. We've never SORN'd a car long enough to have any experience of this.

SORN is an alternative to car tax. When you become the keeper of a mechanically propelled vehicle it is registered in your name. If you are registered as the keeper of a mechanically propelled vehicle subject to tax (ie the vehicle is not exempt) you must either tax it, or complete the statutory declaration (SORN) Failing to do one or the other will result in the issue of a fixed penalty + back duty if appropriate. When you dispose of a vehicle of which you were the registered keeper, you have to inform the DVLA and there's a penalty if you do not do so. AFAIK, non-payment of the penalties is enforced without the routine involvement of the police.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Mick F wrote:Just thinking .........................

They used to.
IIRC you had to SORN it every year and if you didn't then you were liable to a fine (pretty sure I know someone that happened to).
They changed it recently so you only have to declare the SORN once, probably a nod to those sorts of folks on Shed & Buried who have humongous shed's full of old cars and bikes.

To complete the analogy you're obviously after they could make it so you declare a TV "Statutory Off Air", eventually for those folks with hundreds of TV's in their attic they might make it a one off.
But to make it work (and to make your analogy valid) you'd probably need a license plate and registration documents for all your TV(s).

Also iirc they simply fined you without bothering with courts, so to continue with the analogy if you forgot to SORN your TV (or ignored the letter) you'd simply get a fine through the post.
TBH that sounds like a good system. Cheap to implement too!