TV licensing...

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
reohn2

Re: TV licensing...

Post by reohn2 »

Were you expecting sausages? :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

As I mentioned another thread, search warrants normally involve the element of surprise. It's not usually a media release followed by " ...99, 100. Coming, ready or not."
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

They're going to do a dawn raid maybe?
I hope they ring the door bell before they come in.

What happens if we're not in?
Are they allowed to enter with a warrant if no-one's in?
Who do they serve the warrant to? The parrot? :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Mick F wrote:... What happens if we're not in?
Are they allowed to enter with a warrant if no-one's in? ...

That depends on the warrant. Most allow forced entry if it's delayed. (Otherwise you'd have people just hiding behind the settee. Or, destroying evidence.)

... Who do they serve the warrant to? The parrot? :lol:

A warrant is executed, rather than served. If a warrant was executed at premises where there was nobody present, the paperwork would be left there. eg record of property removed.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Next stupid question ...........
Warrants are "executed". Ok. I can accept that.
What happens if we refuse forced entry and "repel all boarders" and set the parrot on them?

Remember, we are totally and completely innocent here.
No telly and no ability to receive other than via on-line ............ and we don't access live on-line TV at all ............ and no desire to do it either.
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I've no idea, but there's generally more mileage in complying under protest, and then getting in the lawyers than being obstructive using violence, etc., and then consulting lawyers. I don't know much about TV licensing and some of the stuff I looked up higher up the thread I've forgotten, but I fancy there are offences involving non-cooperation. So, pretending there's nobody in might not help with a claim for the door mending.

Completely outside my experience but I think one of the things is "reasonableness." AFAIK, it's considered "reasonable" to reply to correspondence - not just telly licensing but more widely - and while it's not an offence to ignore a tv licence letter, doing so may not strengthen any sort of compo case because it's "unreasonable." Ditto not answering the door if somebody is there with a warrant.

An Englishman's home may be his castle, but all the King's horses and all the King's men have all sorts of things on their side if it's the King who sent them.
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

Hello,
I would be interested to know what type of person doesn’t have and never does, watch TV.
Weird .......
Regards,
John

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

mercalia wrote:so the Swiss have justed voted to retain the COMPULSORY TV LICENSE @ 451 swiss francs

Thats nearly £350 :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Ten years ago it was only around £200 though.
And before "The Referendum" the pound ran at over £1:50.

Wage levels are higher there too.

It's a pretty severe reminder of how the pound has weakened.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

thirdcrank wrote:Completely outside my experience but I think one of the things is "reasonableness." AFAIK, it's considered "reasonable" to reply to correspondence - not just telly licensing but more widely - and while it's not an offence to ignore a tv licence letter, doing so may not strengthen any sort of compo case because it's "unreasonable." Ditto not answering the door if somebody is there with a warrant.

An Englishman's home may be his castle, but all the King's horses and all the King's men have all sorts of things on their side if it's the King who sent them.

I refuse to reply because I refuse to pay the postage. I don't consider it reasonable to pay for postage which they should be paying for...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

[XAP]Bob wrote:
thirdcrank wrote:Completely outside my experience but I think one of the things is "reasonableness." AFAIK, it's considered "reasonable" to reply to correspondence - not just telly licensing but more widely - and while it's not an offence to ignore a tv licence letter, doing so may not strengthen any sort of compo case because it's "unreasonable." Ditto not answering the door if somebody is there with a warrant.

I refuse to reply because I refuse to pay the postage. I don't consider it reasonable to pay for postage which they should be paying for...

I agree with that - they should enclose an SAE, they are a business not a charity, I dont see why I should be part of their business plan to cut costs?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Thanks TC.
I have no intention on non-compliance if anyone calls. No point in compounding the issue.

leftpoole wrote:I would be interested to know what type of person doesn’t have and never does, watch TV.
Weird ........
If you trawl back through this thread, you'll see our story.

Briefly ...........
We are of the TV generation. Always had one. Owned tellies from when we first married from 405lines black and white, through dual standard 625/405lines black and white with BBC2, then later a colour set or two, then the advent of C4 ................ Gunnislake was the last place in England to get C4.

Later, we sold the telly and fitted an iMac with the unit at the back into USB plus the software, and we could watch all four channels. When TV went digital here, it was a couple of keystrokes on the computer and we were converted to Freeview.

That's when the rot set in. We stopped watching it. It all seemed dumbed down - BBC and everything. We'd stopped watching ITV years ago, and BBC was going the same way. Yes, there were good programmes, but they were few and far between. We cherry picked using iPlayer. Later, we stopped using iPlayer as well.

I removed the TV unit from the computer and took down the TV aerial - that went to the recycling.
The aerial lead is still there, we still have the software on disc, and we still have the TV unit in it's box stored in the loft.
If we ever wanted to watch telly again, it only needs a new aerial on the bracket were it used to be, and a simple installation on the iMac.

...................... except we have no intention of ever wanting to do it ...................... as we have kicked the habit of Telly Addiction.
Mick F. Cornwall
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

Mick F wrote:Thanks TC.
I have no intention on non-compliance if anyone calls. No point in compounding the issue.

leftpoole wrote:I would be interested to know what type of person doesn’t have and never does, watch TV.
Weird ........
If you trawl back through this thread, you'll see our story.

Briefly ...........
We are of the TV generation. Always had one. Owned tellies from when we first married from 405lines black and white, through dual standard 625/405lines black and white with BBC2, then later a colour set or two, then the advent of C4 ................ Gunnislake was the last place in England to get C4.

Later, we sold the telly and fitted an iMac with the unit at the back into USB plus the software, and we could watch all four channels. When TV went digital here, it was a couple of keystrokes on the computer and we were converted to Freeview.

That's when the rot set in. We stopped watching it. It all seemed dumbed down - BBC and everything. We'd stopped watching ITV years ago, and BBC was going the same way. Yes, there were good programmes, but they were few and far between. We cherry picked using iPlayer. Later, we stopped using iPlayer as well.

I removed the TV unit from the computer and took down the TV aerial - that went to the recycling.
The aerial lead is still there, we still have the software on disc, and we still have the TV unit in it's box stored in the loft.
If we ever wanted to watch telly again, it only needs a new aerial on the bracket were it used to be, and a simple installation on the iMac.

...................... except we have no intention of ever wanting to do it ...................... as we have kicked the habit of Telly Addiction.

Slightly weird as I expected.
I bet you read newspapers to get the daily crap?
You really need TV to keep abreast of life and be a reasonably normal person, in my opinion.
Plus there’s cycling sport on TV
John

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Mick F wrote:They're going to do a dawn raid maybe?
I hope they ring the door bell before they come in.

What happens if we're not in?
Are they allowed to enter with a warrant if no-one's in?
Who do they serve the warrant to? The parrot? :lol:

Maybe the cat
See live thread: 'are dogs more stupid than cats?'
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

leftpoole wrote:Hello,
I would be interested to know what type of person doesn’t have and never does, watch TV.
Weird .......
Regards,
John

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my stupid phone.

I know several of them including myself
What sort of person? I am not quite normal, but harmless :wink:
I do watch the S4C on holiday, and today I am seeing 'The death of Stalin' in the cinema
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
leftpoole wrote:Hello,
Weird .......
Regards,
John

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my stupid phone.

I know several of them including myself
What sort of person? I am not quite normal, but harmless :wink:
I do watch the S4C on holiday, and today I am seeing 'The death of Stalin' in the cinema

I also dont watch tv any more - it was only the films anyway and they can be got in better quality else where. If you dont mind dvd quality CEX are inundated with 2nd dvds these days they sell cheap, they have branches allover the country. eg got various Rumpole of the Bailey series dvds 50p each. Best of Tony Hancock £1. Other major usa tv series like Heroes for about £2 for a boxset of 6 dvds 20+ episodes. If you want news you could get a NowTV box for £10 or so and watch Sky news or I think BBC news ( aint iplayer ) Channel 4 catchup have lots of boxsets of old tv series you can watch.

What type of person dont watch tv? someone who wont spend £147 on crap?