TV licensing...

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
philvantwo

Re: TV licensing...

Post by philvantwo »

Mick f with his 5 acres and no space for a wheelie bin?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Get your "facts" right Phil.
Nearly three acres, and by far the most of it is woodland.

Using the car when we go shopping once or twice a week is simple. Wheelie bins do not.

Daughter and husband used to live in Manchester. They were in a row of semi-detached houses with an "entry" between the semis.
The entry was impassible due to the four? each wheelie bins = eight?
In order to get to the back gardens, you had to go through the houses.
What an absolute waste of space.

When we woz kids in the 50s, we had one single galvanized bin out the back.
The bin men would come along once a week, pick it up, empty it into their lorry, and put the bin back.
Family of four. One small bin. Three coal fires and with the attendant ash.

Where do we get all this rubbish from these days?

Sorry, we have gone WAY off topic here! :lol: :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
peetee

Post by peetee »

Mick F wrote: 10 Jul 2021, 7:13pm Where do we get all this rubbish from ?
In a word; packaging.
Back when, shopping was done at the grocers and packaging, generally, was paper bags and flattenable cardboard boxes - both of which could also be thrown on the hearth. Now, in my bin at least, it’s predominantly plastic food trays that can’t be recycled and won’t stay compressed so use up far more room in the bin than they should.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes, obvious really.
Anything burnable here gets turned into hot water. That's the way I was brought up. Back boilers in fireplaces.
Trouble is these days, people live in houses without chimneys! :shock:
Roofs look bare without them. Whole estates like that.

We have a galvanised incinerator we use when the cardboard "mountain" gets too big, but modern housing tends to have small (if any) gardens, so lighting up a smoky incinerator is rather a little unsociable.
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

AIUI, it's also illegal in clean air zones.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Mick F wrote: 12 Jul 2021, 9:07am Yes, obvious really.
Anything burnable here gets turned into hot water. That's the way I was brought up. Back boilers in fireplaces.

We have a galvanised incinerator we use when the cardboard "mountain" gets too big, but modern housing tends to have small (if any) gardens, so lighting up a smoky incinerator is rather a little unsociable.
Rooves look bare without solar panels, chimneys are not required in the modern age.
We have far more efficient, and cleaner, ways of heating both water and houses.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

[XAP]Bob wrote: 20 Jul 2021, 11:23am
Mick F wrote: 12 Jul 2021, 9:07am Yes, obvious really.

Rooves look bare without solar panels, chimneys are not required in the modern age.
We have far more efficient, and cleaner, ways of heating both water and houses.
But beyond the pocket of, probably, the majority.
John
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

But beyond the pocket of, probably, the majority.
It's a tough 'un innit - find the money for"green" measures or no planet to live on. I'm going to need a bit of time to think that one through... I know! I'll ask the kids and see what they think!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

All new builds should be required to be solar roofs, it's not nearly as expensive when you get to not build a roof underneath the panels.

When a roof needs replacing then it makes sense to look at solar options as the replacement - rather than replacing the slates, not on top of replacing them.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Maillot Rouge

Post by Maillot Rouge »

Aren’t miss-sold solar panels the new PPI?
There’s adverts all over the radio with the no win no fee merchants.
They take years to pay for themselves.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Maillot Rouge wrote: 20 Jul 2021, 12:57pm Aren’t miss-sold solar panels the new PPI?
The big mis-selling must surely involve persuading people to allow a company to fit solar panels on the basis that the householder can have the free electricity while the company retains the feed-in tariff (FIT) bunce. While the householder is not actually worse off on a day-to-day calculation, they have given the company the right to have their panels up there for perhaps 25 years, including when the house is sold.

It's coming up to the tenth anniversary of the installation of my panels. The salesman had to use a standard chart to assess the likely amount of generation of my roof, based on latitude, orientation and angle of the roof and any unfavourable landscape. That has been accurate and my latest tax-free FIT payment covering April-May-June was £816. (Which, to get back on thread, more than covers my TV licence)
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Maillot Rouge wrote: 20 Jul 2021, 12:57pm Aren’t miss-sold solar panels the new PPI?
Panels are about £1/W at the moment.

And in the UK that would be expected to generate somewhere between 7 and 9 hundred Wh/year according to industry
Single datum point: 5.5kW system -> 5.9MWh in both 2019 and 2020 suggests that the 7-9 hundred is slightly conservative.

Let's run 1kWh/W/year there, just because the maths becomes easier.
You spend £1 and get ~16.4p (UK average for flat rate) or ~20p (E7 average, assuming that the sun shines during the day) benefit in terms of not buying electricity.
That's a 5-6 year ROI (dropping to a generation factor of just 750 would be 7-8 years)

It does assume perfect usage of that energy, which can be better achieved by either battery or intelligent hot water tank (at extra cost of course), but doesn't account for the benefit to the grid, to society or to humanity as a whole.

The "we'll lease your roof for twenty five years" deals were badly missold.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Yesterday my son drove off with our TV.

We soon move house - probably next week - and are dispensing with the telly which we don't watch anyway.

The fun with Capita will no doubt start then.
John
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

:D :D
Excellent! :D

As I said up thread, Capita stopped sending their threatening letters five months before we bought a TVL.
I've still not watched it, though Mrs Mick F watches some iPlayer stuff after I've gone to bed.

Screenshot of my records with the latter stages of their diatribes.
Screen Shot 2021-08-02 at 14.38.20.png
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Mick F wrote: 12 Apr 2021, 2:39pm
thirdcrank wrote: 12 Apr 2021, 1:36pmI fancy that writing your details on the back of the cheque is only relevant if the cheque becomes separated from the application form or if the cheque bounces.
There was and is no application form.

They ask for a cheque with your name and address on the back.Screen Shot 2021-04-12 at 14.37.07.png

They obviously took no notice of this and issued the TVL to the last named person.

Shoddy to say the least.
Perhaps because the cheque came from our joint account ........ like all our accunts are ......... and my name is first as the main bread-winner, and they read nothing from the rear of the cheque.

Follow their instructions, and they pay no attention to anything. They know our address from their long records obviously, so don't bother reading the back of the cheque.

My snotty letter was posted 2nd class on Saturday. They should receive it tomorrow or Wednesday.
Did you ever receive a reply?