TV licensing...

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Psamathe

Re: TV licensing...

Post by Psamathe »

kwackers wrote:
Mick F wrote:Just thinking .........................

If you have a car and you SORN it, do DVLA write to you twelve months later and ask you again?
Perhaps they do. We've never SORN'd a car long enough to have any experience of this.

If you don't reply to the 12m reminder, what happens next?
Do they get threatening and demanding?
Do they threaten to send in the coppers with a Search Warrant?

They used to.
IIRC you had to SORN it every year and if you didn't then you were liable to a fine (pretty sure I know someone that happened to).
They changed it recently so you only have to declare the SORN once, probably a nod to those sorts of folks on Shed & Buried who have humongous shed's full of old cars and bikes.
.....!

(Originally probably my analogy) I think there is a distinction between owning a vehicle and SORN'ing it and not owning a vehicle atall. I think the analogy might work better in the situation where you used to own a vehicle (taxed/SORD'd) and then dispose of the vehicle, notifying DVLA and then they harass you every year requiring you to declare that you have still disposed of the vehicle.

I suspect that once you have disposed of the vehicle and notified DVLA they will not harass you every year about the vehicle.

Ian
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Psamathe wrote:(Originally probably my analogy) I think there is a distinction between owning a vehicle and SORN'ing it and not owning a vehicle atall. I think the analogy might work better in the situation where you used to own a vehicle (taxed/SORD'd) and then dispose of the vehicle, notifying DVLA and then they harass you every year requiring you to declare that you have still disposed of the vehicle.

I suspect that once you have disposed of the vehicle and notified DVLA they will not harass you every year about the vehicle.

Ian

Indeed, that's why TV's need registering, then when you get rid you can fill in the appropriate form.
Trouble with TV's is they move freely around the world with nobody tracking them. For the analogy to work TV's need some way of tracking them otherwise how can you prove you no longer have it?

I think Mick is just refining his analogy so he can use it in his local. Personally I don't see it, but I guess he needs something to think about when conditions are too crap to cycle.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Re car tax.

The big difference used to be that all the onus of proof was on the prosecution ie the mechanically propelled vehicle had to be proved - usually seen by a witness - to be on a road maintained at public expense and the whole rigmarole went through the criminal justice system. If there was a claim for back duty, the defendant could give evidence that the vehicle had not been on a relevant road and the application failed. Pretty much the same if they applied for the tax disc after a gap. They could say it was off the road with impunity, unless a police report was in the system and they were prosecuted for a fraudulent application. Notification of change of ownership was also a total mess.

By and large, the SORN system tightened it up pretty well, but it seems that scrapping the paper tax disc may have been a step too far.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Thanks guys.

My thoughts turned to SORN due to chatting with a mate this morning. He's had a stroke, and SORN'd his car - now parked on his drive. We don't think he'll get back to driving for quite some time, so I was wondering if he'd get a reminder after twelve months, and if he did, if it would be a recurring thing in the long term.

It was only later today that I drew a parallel with the TVL thing.
Mick F. Cornwall
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

kwackers wrote:
Psamathe wrote:(Originally probably my analogy) I think there is a distinction between owning a vehicle and SORN'ing it and not owning a vehicle atall. I think the analogy might work better in the situation where you used to own a vehicle (taxed/SORD'd) and then dispose of the vehicle, notifying DVLA and then they harass you every year requiring you to declare that you have still disposed of the vehicle.

Ian

Indeed, that's why TV's need registering, then when you get rid you can fill in the appropriate form.
Trouble with TV's is they move freely around the world with nobody tracking them. For the analogy to work TV's need some way of tracking them otherwise how can you prove you no longer have it?

I think Mick is just refining his analogy so he can use it in his local. Personally I don't see it, but I guess he needs something to think about when conditions are too crap to cycle.

how do you know your ( smart ) isnt tracking you and its location? :twisted:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Just read this:
https://www.gov.uk/sorn-statutory-off-road-notification
You don't need to renew a SORN.

Why do you need to renew a non-telly?

Maybe because there's a reasonable chance that using a SORN'd vehicle on the road, you'll be caught, and using a telly without a TVL is commonplace and you're unlikely to be found out.
Mick F. Cornwall
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

kwackers wrote:Indeed, that's why TV's need registering,

The license isn't for owning a TV though, it's for watching live broadcasts and/or iPlayer.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Mick F wrote:Just read this:
https://www.gov.uk/sorn-statutory-off-road-notification
You don't need to renew a SORN.

Keep up man, I pointed that out further upstream. :wink:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Sorry.
I'm a bit lax in keeping up. Dreaded Lurgy, but very slowly coming back up to speed.

BTW, no (third) letter from TVL HQ as yet. No1 and No2 were in January.
Mick F. Cornwall
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

A referendum on licence fees will be held in Switzerland soon
Many people wanted to vote for abolition of the fees but opinions have changed, they are afraid of losing their "bbc", looks like the vote will be in favour of keeping licence fees
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
mjr

Post by mjr »

Cyril Haearn wrote:A referendum on licence fees will be held in Switzerland soon
Many people wanted to vote for abolition of the fees but opinions have changed, they are afraid of losing their "bbc", looks like the vote will be in favour of keeping licence fees

SFR currently require one to dick about with viewing cards. Maybe they can get rid of it if they're keeping the licence fees.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Chatting to a friend the other evening, and he said they went for seven years without a licence. He went online after getting the reminder declaring his non-TVL requirement. That's all.

He ignored all the follow-up letters. Nothing happened.
Mick F. Cornwall
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

here is a thought. How much does the BBC pay capita to go after the non license fee payers? and how much money would be lost if they didnt, and just depended on people doing the honourable thing and buying a license? That would be an interesting calculation?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes, me and Mrs Mick F discussed that very point this morning.
Is there any money in it when they can't actually see or check that you're obeying the rules?
All they can do is pester you and hope you acquiesce.

In the old days we had tellies. Easy to see them when they look in the windows.
These days, we have devices .............. we have two iPhones, one iPad, two MackBooks, and an iMac, let alone people that come here and use our broadband. Daughter and her husband stayed with us for a week recently. Did they watch live TV on their phones?

Unless they check on our internet connection and what is being streamed, how would they know anything?
Mick F. Cornwall
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

well the license fee is going to £150 odd soon.