TV licensing...

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: TV licensing...

Post by Mick F »

Nope.
Never received a replacement TVL either.
At this moment, we have nothing other than our bank account details and we can see that the cheque has been cashed.

It'll be interesting to see what happens in late March next year.
If they send a reminder to me personally ....... they can get stuffed. :lol:

Mrs Mick F can go through the system again ..................... but only if she want to.

From what I know, iPlayer is on for maybe an hour three or four times a week. She's not watched anything live.
Netflix gets used more than iPlayer.

TVL isn't worth a jot IMO.
Mick F. Cornwall
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Oldjohnw wrote: 2 Aug 2021, 10:42am Yesterday my son drove off with our TV.

We soon move house - probably next week - and are dispensing with the telly which we don't watch anyway.

The fun with Capita will no doubt start then.
Gonna be exciting for you sitting there in silence, maybe you'd better get a big tick tick clock to listen to!
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

We have these old fashioned things called books. And music.
John
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yep.
Many things to do instead of the Goggle Box.
Heard it said years ago, that watching telly was "sucking on the glass nipple".

Just finished the prequel to Pillars of the Earth. The Evening and the Morning - Ken Follet.

Not a bad read, but the story leaps from highs to lows all the way through. Roller coaster emotional ride, and it ends on a sudden high with no sort of finish as if he ran out of ideas.
Mick F. Cornwall
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I also have a bike. Go walking. Fly fishing. A piano. A radio. Fall asleep early most nights. The TV has stood in the corner with about an hour max of use per week because it was there or Mrs Ojw watches some Jane Austen dvd.

I was in my mid 30s before I ever had a tv so have never really got into it.
John
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Can't be doing reading fiction novels!
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

philvantwo wrote: 3 Aug 2021, 1:29pm Can't be doing reading fiction novels!
I'm the same but I don't know why. Some of those I read in earlier life had a huge influence on me, although that may or may not have been for the best.

It didn't even occur to me that somewhere down the line I'd stopped reading fiction until I realised that the books I was borrowing out of the library were all non-fiction.

Same even with TV, not having had a TV set for ~20 years and hardly ever having been to the cinema in that time either, or hired DVDs or subscribed to Netflix or whatever. I watch fictional stuff and can't suspend disbelief - to me they're actors acting in a film or a series or a play, directed by a director, written by a writer and scored by a musician. I get absorbed in the technicalities of how it's acted, directed, written and scored but that's about it.

Sad, huh? :(
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

philvantwo wrote: 3 Aug 2021, 1:29pm Can't be doing reading fiction novels!
I mostly read non-fiction but I do like a whodunnit.
John
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Not fiction.

Some fictional places, but factual history plus real factual historical characters.
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 3 Aug 2021, 6:20pm Not fiction.

Some fictional places, but factual history plus real factual historical characters.
Jane Austen or The Evening and the Morning?

Thanks

Jonathan
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Read it.
Read Pillars of the Earth, World Without End, and the prequel Evening and the Morning.

Fiction maybe, but with fact in there with real factual history.
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Yes, it's fiction.

Jonathan
jb

Post by jb »

Historical novels can give a person a distorted idea of history depending on the authors bias. Hence actual historians spend years learning how not to be bias.
Cheers
J Bro
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Morning all, I'm currently reading a book that is surely hard to categorize? "Riding in the Zone Rouge" by Tom Isitt!
It is in effect a personal tour record, but also an attempt to inform folk about a really brutal cycle race.
The Circuit des Champs de Bataille (the Tour of the Battlefields), was an event that took place in 1919, racing through the hell which remained after WW1.
As I say hard to categorize, but so far it is well worth reading it! As Ialready have a deep interest in WW1 matters I feel it was a good find. MM
rjb

Post by rjb »

I would ask for a TV licence refund if I was one of the million who live in the area served by the Bilsdale transmitter on the north yours moors. TV and radio down indefinitely following the fire.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... lNjj22u29X
download.jpeg
download.jpeg (4.4 KiB) Viewed 246 times
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D