TV licensing...

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
philvantwo

Re: TV licensing...

Post by philvantwo »

Wonder if Toshiba delivered a new remote after his dog swallowed it?
:|
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Not got round to that issue yet.
The email address is saved.

support.uk@toshiba-tv.com
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

thirdcrank wrote: 12 Apr 2021, 1:36pmI fancy that writing your details on the back of the cheque is only relevant if the cheque becomes separated from the application form or if the cheque bounces.
There was and is no application form.

They ask for a cheque with your name and address on the back.
Screen Shot 2021-04-12 at 14.37.07.png
They obviously took no notice of this and issued the TVL to the last named person.

Shoddy to say the least.
Perhaps because the cheque came from our joint account ........ like all our accunts are ......... and my name is first as the main bread-winner, and they read nothing from the rear of the cheque.

Follow their instructions, and they pay no attention to anything. They know our address from their long records obviously, so don't bother reading the back of the cheque.

My snotty letter was posted 2nd class on Saturday. They should receive it tomorrow or Wednesday.
Mick F. Cornwall
RickH

Post by RickH »

I was going to ask if the cheque was from a joint account as I had wondered if they had just issued the licence to the first name. That isn't a situation unique to TVL if they did.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

RickH wrote: 12 Apr 2021, 11:28pm I was going to ask if the cheque was from a joint account as I had wondered if they had just issued the licence to the first name. That isn't a situation unique to TVL if they did.
Quite possibly correct, but doesn't make it right though.

Why do they ask for a name on the back of the cheque if they don't read it?
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

How does Mrs MickF feel about this?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

She agrees with me, though is less fussed about it.
I'm upset by the principle of it.
It's her license, she wanted it, and she organised it.

TV aerial went up on the 22nd March, and I personally haven't watched live telly or BBC iPlayer nor have any desire to.

Prediction here:
Like the last time we had a TVL, we hardly watched anything, so didn't renew. I predict that history will repeat itself.
Mick F. Cornwall
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

Beautiful sunny weather in London.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I was reminded of this thread when I received an email with the subject Relax, you're covered for another 12 months - settle down to another year's great viewing The reality is that they've taken another year's direct debit but pay somebody to devise euphemisms.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

This thread resurrection has reminded me about the remote control.
Never contacted Mr Toshi Wotsisname, but made my own.

I've still not watched any live telly or iPlayer. Watched our recorded DVD movies though.
Mrs Mick F watches Netflix and some iPlayer after I go to bed. I go to bed early, and she, late! She has a pair of bluetooth earphones so I'm not disturbed.

As far as I know, she hasn't watched anything live on it.

Made a new bit for the remote with some alu plate I had kicking about. Hacksaw, accurate file-work, careful bending, and hey presto!
IMG_0646.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

I was down in Falmouth 2 weeks ago working. Hotel I was in there was a Toshiba smart TV in the room, what a complete load of rubbish. I was glad to get back to my far superior LG!
Oh and why are cornwall 10 yrs behind on recycling? Sorting everything out into different boxes and bags, what a faff!
South staffordshire have a blue wheelie bin for recycling stuff and a black bin for other stuff. Simple!
peetee

Post by peetee »

philvantwo wrote: 10 Jul 2021, 2:14pm I was down in Falmouth 2 weeks ago working. Hotel I was in there was a Toshiba smart TV in the room, what a complete load of rubbish. I was glad to get back to my far superior LG!
Oh and why are cornwall 10 yrs behind on recycling? Sorting everything out into different boxes and bags, what a faff!
South staffordshire have a blue wheelie bin for recycling stuff and a black bin for other stuff. Simple!
Down here collection for waste is weekly and recycling is every fortnight. By that time the volume of recycling material exceeds that of your waste so putting it in one bag would not make life easy at all. Why not wheelie bins? Simply because there are a vast number of properties here where the front doors open to the road and there are no pavements so there is nowhere to store a rigid bin.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

More like the council can't find a company willing to take the contract on.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Also people live on HILLS.
It would be impossible to have a weelie bin here ......... and where would we put it?

For us, we put a black (non-recycleable stuff) in a black binbag at the end of the drive once a week on a Wednesday morning.
The recycling stuff goes to supermarkets in the car where they have skips for it. We could put it out (separated) at the end of the drive on the same day, but it's hassle and would take three trips up and down the drive ............... so it's far easier to put it in the car when we go shopping.

Tesco Callington for instance, take metal and plastic in the very same skip.
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I don't know how we got onto wheelie bins. IMO the problem is that waste collection and disposal is a local authority responsibility so things can be completely different from one town to the next. At the very least, that Leeds to confusion. It got off to a bad start here in Leeds because they wrote to people in town clerk lingo which got a lot of backs up. After various problems including a strike which seemed to drag on for several months it had settled down and now generally works well. We have black bins one week for non-recyclable and green bins for recyclable the next. They trialled a food waste collection a few years ago in Rothwell but we never heard any more. We also have brown bins for garden waste in the summer months.

The recycling centres (previously known as civic amenities) closed at the beginning of lockdown and are now only available for appointments. They seem not to understand that anything which isn't easy will be ignored and we seem to be getting a lot more fly tipping. We have bottle banks and charity collection lockers all over the place, particularly supermarket car parks, and they are abused with all sorts being piled up.

One thing that seems never to have been resolved is how to organise waste collection in the areas with high levels of students.