TV licensing...

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: TV licensing...

Post by Mick F »

Letter posted off yesterday including the TVL.
Lets see what happens.
Mick F. Cornwall
rjb

Post by rjb »

TVL could use the name registered on the council tax list as proof of address and occupancy. Mrs RJB has had this in the past when her mail been addressed to me. :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

We're BOTH registered on the list.

She signed the TVL cheque, put her name on the back as requested, but still the TVL was in my name, and not her's.

Sexist and sloppy, and they have records and pay no attention to anything else.

Any road up, the TVL has gone back with a snotty letter.
They either fix this, or they can get stuffed.
Mick F. Cornwall
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

So after all this, you now haven't got a TV licence?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Licensed, but the licence is "in the post" going back.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I fear you are making an unwinnable fuss.
From the FAQs on the Gov TV licence page:

"A TV Licence is issued in the name of the person paying the fee and covers the use of television receiving equipment at the address/premises specified on the Licence.

The Terms and Conditions of a TV Licence are printed on the Licence. A copy of the Terms and Conditions is available here, and state that: “The licence allows installation and use of TV equipment at the licensed premises by anyone.” So while it is the address/premises that is licensed for using television receiving equipment, the Licence is issued in the name of the person on the Licence.

An “address” is any place which constitutes a “licensable place” for the purposes of the Communications Act 2003 (opens in a new window) and the Communications (Television Licensing) Regulations 2004 (opens in a new window) (as amended). An address or place with only one postal delivery point may be registered as being two or more licensable premises e.g. a house split into several flats, or a flat which includes a lodger."

So it is the address which is licensed although it is in a person's name.
John
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

A TV Licence is issued in the name of the person paying the fee
To save MickF's BP I think the above is the crux of this.
Syd

Post by Syd »

I think we already have a winner of the grumpy old man of 2021 award.
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

Syd wrote: 12 Apr 2021, 8:15am I think we already have a winner of the grumpy old man of 2021 award. Image
Indeed. Very funny.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

thirdcrank wrote: 12 Apr 2021, 7:23am
A TV Licence is issued in the name of the person paying the fee
To save MickF's BP I think the above is the crux of this.
Spot on.

They ask for the name, then pay no attention to it! :shock:
Mick F. Cornwall
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I imagine they need a name because they have to charge someone. Then anyone can watch, or not as the case may be and as they choose.

I wonder if Mick has read Don Quixote?
John
botty

Post by botty »

I wonder if producing a TV license in the name of someone who did not make the application and pay the fee breaches GDPR? Another possible breach is keeping details of a person who last had a TV license at an address for the length of time TV licensing appears to have done so? They had no reason to store those details and especially not for years.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

botty wrote: 12 Apr 2021, 12:21pm I wonder if producing a TV license in the name of someone who did not make the application and pay the fee breaches GDPR? Another possible breach is keeping details of a person who last had a TV license at an address for the length of time TV licensing appears to have done so? They had no reason to store those details and especially not for years.
Their privacy policy:
https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/privacy-s ... de=preview
https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/ss/Satell ... inary=true
The full policy in the second link includes discussion of compliance with DPA and GDPR and how to exercise your rights.

But if you have any residual concerns I recommend writing to the ICO:
https://ico.org.uk/make-a-complaint/

I've always found them very helpful.

Jonathan
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I can't imagine they would do this just to wind up somebody.

Presumably, a postal application involves a printed form. That would have been anonymous in the days when they were stocked at post offices but I presume that nowadays you either download one or use one they have posted to you in one of their inquiry letters. I could imagine that such forms will be linked to their database and if it's all computerised then the computer will pick that up.

Ultimately, the licence covers the premises, not the licence holder.

I fancy that writing your details on the back of the cheque is only relevant if the cheque becomes separated from the application form or if the cheque bounces.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I am expecting a noticeable improvement in BBC programmes now Micks household has paid! :lol:

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......