TV licensing...

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
thirdcrank

Re: TV licensing...

Post by thirdcrank »

Mick F wrote:I... I'm an obsessive sort of chap. ...

I find that hard to believe.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You've noticed?
Mick F. Cornwall
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

so Crapita is closing lots of local offices ( where the home visitors are based?)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53968213

so makes a nonsense of the job they do for the BBC?
rjb

Post by rjb »

Ive just renewed mine but if the beeb persist with rubbish like Canada Drag Race it could well be my last time.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

mercalia wrote:so Crapita is closing lots of local offices ( where the home visitors are based?)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53968213

so makes a nonsense of the job they do for the BBC?
Our "local office" was Plymouth, but there was a job vacancy! :lol:
Then, our "local office" was Bristol, but there's no way on God's earth that an "investigator" would come 120miles each way to the Devon/Cornwall border, let alone to deepest darkest Cornwall. :lol:
rjb wrote:Ive just renewed mine but if the beeb persist with rubbish like Canada Drag Race it could well be my last time.
No idea about anything to do with Canada Drag Race, but is was pap like that, that made us see that it's all rubbish and not worth paying them for.

Back in the old days, we stopped watching ITV for the same reason. C4 wasn't too bad initially, but that turned into pap too.
The Beeb's rhubarb was the last straw ......... if you pardon all my metaphors. :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

mercalia wrote:so Crapita is closing lots of local offices ( where the home visitors are based?) so makes a nonsense of the job they do for the BBC?
I'm not sure it follows that Capita's sale of local offices affects the way they do business with the BBC. The EOs will continue to work from home, like they have been for the last 6 months and may have been since the get-go, for all I know.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

so where does all the licence fee go to? the fat cats at the bbc for one

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8734655/Zoe-Balls-1MILLION-pay-rise-Radio-2-presenter-BBCs-highest-paid-female-star-1-3million.html

But not for Mickf to read :lol:

but just for him

Capture.JPG

who the heck is Zoe Ball?
No wonder they are all smiling

as far as I can see not a single black person. oh dear....
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Whilst wishing Ms. Ball no ill-will, as an individual, of course, I have zero interest in anything she thinks, does, says, or come to that, the limited scope of the hacknied play-list of old clichés she trots out each morning... if she disappeared off the face of the earth tomorrow, I would be none the wiser and couldn't care less. Same goes for the grey-haired & creased old Mr. Linelaker - he is apparently nearly as old as me... I cannot begin to understand why their respective contributions are worth an annual coughing to the tune of two and three-quarter million pounds. But there you go - just goes to show how much I have in common with The Great Unwashed. I suppose they, TGU, that is, need something to keep what passes for their minds off more difficult subjects, like the way the country is run! Stops ' em from revolting!
And I suppose, on the plus side, the longer Ms. Ball / Mr. Lanklower are busy doing their thing, the less likely they are to crop up on R3 & 4. Horrah!
Last edited by simonineaston on 15 Sep 2020, 9:38pm, edited 1 time in total.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

simonineaston wrote:Whist wishing Ms. Ball no ill-will, as an individual, of course, I have zero interest in anything she thinks, does, says, or come to that, the limited scope of the hacknied play-list of old clichés she trots out each morning... if she disappeared off the face of the earth tomorrow, I would be none the wiser and couldn't care less. Same goes for the grey-haired & creased old Mr. Linelaker - he is apparently nearly as old as me... I cannot begin to understand why their respective contributions are worth an annual coughing to the tune of two and three-quarter million pounds. But there you go - just goes to show how much I have in common with The Great Unwashed. I suppose they, TGU, that is, need something to keep what passes for their minds off more difficult subjects, like the way the country is run! Stops ' em from revolting!
And I suppose, on the plus side, the longer Ms. Ball / Mr. Lanklower are busy doing their thing, the less likely they are to crop up on R3 & 4. Horrah!

where is she then? on tv or radio? she a dj?
RickH

Post by RickH »

mercalia wrote:so where does all the licence fee go to? the fat cats at the bbc for one

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8734655/Zoe-Balls-1MILLION-pay-rise-Radio-2-presenter-BBCs-highest-paid-female-star-1-3million.html

But not for Mickf to read :lol:

but just for him

Capture.JPG

who the heck is Zoe Ball?
No wonder they are all smiling

as far as I can see not a single black person. oh dear....

Wher or not you think these individuals are worth it the total of those folks pay comes to around £6 million out of a total BBC budget of about £4 billion. So around 0.15% of the total.

In terms of pay, the vast majority of the many (thousands of) people working for the BBC will be on modest incomes.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

people working for the BBC
The Beeb 'saw the light' in the late eighties / early nineties and got rid of a ton of tech. & production staff. These guys all went off to work as freelancers, or if more ambitous, started a production company. I remember sharing a flat with a sound engineer, who worked silly hours when he had a contract, and then had weeks with nothing. Not a pleasant way to make a living...
S
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Old TV caused village broadband outages for 18 months

The mystery of why an entire village lost its broadband every morning at 7am was solved when engineers discovered an old television was to blame.

is this the time base in old crt tvs? Was that how the licensing vans used to detect if you had a unlicenced tv?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-54239180
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Yo, The householder should have held out to coerce he neighbours to provide a new 72" telly!
If hy didn't cough up for a TV and a free licence it should be switched back on :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: . MM
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Saw the story.
I find it hard to believe that a crt could have that effect on BB?
Its not connected to the BB is it?
Well you can use it as a monitor whilst watching via a box connected to BB.
BUT you mean to say that a signal could pass up line through box on your BB line which is solid copper wire to the nearest exchange?

Its another one of those well we have to blame it on something :P

Embarrassed........why would the owner be embarrassed..........more hype by the media.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:I find it hard to believe that a crt could have that effect on BB?

I'm waiting for a reply from the engineers.

Jonathan