TV licensing...

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

Re: TV licensing...

Postby mercalia » 10 Jul 2020, 7:50pm

simonineaston wrote:To be exact... (and my most recent post wasn't!), you do need a licence if you access content via iPlayer. What I was referring to earlier, when I described signing in, was simply the BBC website, of which iPlayer is one part - see below. Sorry if that's confused anyone! There's tons of content on the BBC's website that's perfectly legal to watch and listen to, or as the dreadful lexicon of the data-age has it - consume. It's just the stuff on iPlayer you should have the licence to watch, just as you need a licence to watch BBC programmes via a lot of other platforms... or indeed content from certain other channels, such as Channel 4.Screenshot 2020-07-10 18.12.08.png
With respect to Landsurfer's post, if they can't get enough evidence, they won't prosecute you, however an admission that you were consuming content that required a licence is evidence, albeit insufficient on its own for a prosecution.

yes even to add comments to articles on the website. There is a double "login" for iplayer and licenced content a) the general login b) the pop up confirming you have a tv licence.

I dont see how you could accidentally make a mistake and watch tv in iplayer?

simonineaston

Postby simonineaston » 10 Jul 2020, 8:14pm

I dont see how you could accidentally make a mistake and watch tv in iplayer?
I agree. Folk who don't buy a licence seem to break into three groups: 1) those who simply don't consume product that requires a licence. These people can go about their business with a clear conscience. 2) a small group consisting of folk who don't get the rules - I can't say as I blame them to be honest. I imagine the day is not far off when Aunty Beeb will make a major change in the way they do this. 3) lastly, those who do consume product for which a licence is required but are unwilling to pay for it. These folk are in my view, acting dishonestly in the way that car drivers do when they break the speed limit, that is to say, a lot of people do it, but that doesn't make it OK. You wouldn't routinely go to Tesco's and walk out the door with tonight's tea without paying for it...
ttfn, Simon in Easton
(currently enjoying a Moulton TSR & a nano Brompton...)

[XAP]Bob

Postby [XAP]Bob » 10 Jul 2020, 9:17pm

Not long ago it was easy enough, since only a small part of IPlayer needed licensing
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.

philvantwo

Postby philvantwo » 10 Jul 2020, 10:41pm

Mick F the licence Dodger uses his middle name to get out of paying. He still watches iplayer though on his 72inch apple mac tv.
:lol: :lol:

landsurfer

Postby landsurfer » 11 Jul 2020, 8:24am

simonineaston wrote:With respect to Landsurfer's post, if they can't get enough evidence, they won't prosecute you, however an admission that you were consuming content that required a licence is evidence, albeit insufficient on its own for a prosecution.

To be honest i just got a bit arsey because he started to caution me on my doorstep, i had not invited him on to my property. At the point of commencement of the caution my brain said trespass and my hand said slam the door .... i was surprised that there has been no further action though.
The Road Goes On Forever

landsurfer

Postby landsurfer » 11 Jul 2020, 8:27am

simonineaston wrote: You wouldn't routinely go to Tesco's and walk out the door with tonight's tea without paying for it...

Unfortunately i know a number of people that regularly do ..... I come into contact with them via our work with Social Care ... :(
The Road Goes On Forever

Tiberius

Postby Tiberius » 11 Jul 2020, 8:42am

landsurfer wrote:To be honest i just got a bit arsey because he started to caution me on my doorstep, i had not invited him on to my property. At the point of commencement of the caution my brain said trespass and my hand said slam the door .... i was surprised that there has been no further action though.

There will be no further action but EVENTUALLY the letters start again - My mate has been through the whole thing, he hasn't owned a TV for years.

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 11 Jul 2020, 9:04am

philvantwo wrote:Mick F the licence Dodger uses his middle name to get out of paying. He still watches iplayer though on his 72inch apple mac tv.
Absolutely and completely wrong on all counts.

We've been watching Randal and Hopkirk (deceased) on YouTube recently. There's 26 episodes. 1969-70.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 9Yn-4KvtKs
Mick F. Cornwall

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 11 Jul 2020, 10:36am

landsurfer wrote:
simonineaston wrote:With respect to Landsurfer's post, if they can't get enough evidence, they won't prosecute you, however an admission that you were consuming content that required a licence is evidence, albeit insufficient on its own for a prosecution.

To be honest i just got a bit arsey because he started to caution me on my doorstep, i had not invited him on to my property. At the point of commencement of the caution my brain said trespass and my hand said slam the door .... i was surprised that there has been no further action though.

you shouldnt have said all that you did. Just"I dont have a tv and dont watch live or any bbc tv programmes"? close the door, "good day". You gave him a foot in the door.

NATURAL ANKLING

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 11 Jul 2020, 10:54am

Hi,
Mick F wrote:
philvantwo wrote:Mick F the licence Dodger uses his middle name to get out of paying. He still watches iplayer though on his 72inch apple mac tv.
Absolutely and completely wrong on all counts.

We've been watching Randal and Hopkirk (deceased) on YouTube recently. There's 26 episodes. 1969-70.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 9Yn-4KvtKs

that stuff is been out for years and we all watched it many years ago.
but it was never that riveting I find so I wouldn't watch it at all today bit like the Saint.
And some of the other stuff that they make today based on investigations and their side kick, some are incredibly poorly made And lack any grit what's soever.
there is stuff around today which is much much better even if it's reruns of some American stuff, makes that old stuff we all used to watch a bit watch with mother.
The "Law and order" I find is very good, if you like that sort of stuff police and court room dramas.
Some people just prefer big brother or get me out of here, Which as we know it's just improving forgotten over the hill peoples profiles.

P.S.
Can't remember the name at the moment but it was compared with things like the American series homeland.
American stuff can be incredibly well produced they probably have a lot of money to.
It puts a lot of the British stuff to shame.

Luminaries don't even start :roll: :roll:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.

simonineaston

Postby simonineaston » 11 Jul 2020, 10:59am

mercalia wrote:
landsurfer wrote:

you shouldnt have said all that you did. Just"I dont have a tv and dont watch live or any bbc tv programmes"? close the door, "good day". You gave him a foot in the door.

Again, the arguement appears to have slipped away from the central issue. If you consume licenced product, buy a licence. If you don't, you don't need one. That's pretty much it.
ttfn, Simon in Easton
(currently enjoying a Moulton TSR & a nano Brompton...)

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 11 Jul 2020, 11:12am

simonineaston wrote: If you consume licenced product, buy a licence. If you don't, you don't need one. That's pretty much it.
Yep.

Said it before on this thread.
I'm of the TV generation. Spoon fed on it from the B+W 405line days with only ITV and BBC. My older sister remembers when ITV started.

Telly was on from getting home from school, to going to bed. No doubt mum and dad watched it too. I remember when Corrie started and Dr Who, and the Pathfinders series before that. Anyone remember Pathfinders to Mars?

However ........... as the years have progressed, the output of the myriad of stations has become boring - to us at least - so the TVL isn't value for money in the slightest. We have a Netflix account, and Mrs Mick F watches stuff, but I don't. The only time I have seen live TV has been in the Buccaneer Inn in the village. They're not open yet after the lockdown, so it'll be a while before I see any more ......... even then it was boring game shows so I never watched them.

TVL is dead IMHO, and the sooner it's abolished, the better. It's unenforceable and pointless.
Mick F. Cornwall

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 11 Jul 2020, 12:59pm

simonineaston wrote:
mercalia wrote:
landsurfer wrote:

Again, the arguement appears to have slipped away from the central issue. If you consume licenced product, buy a licence. If you don't, you don't need one. That's pretty much it.

but that dont need saying?

mumbojumbo

Postby mumbojumbo » 14 Jul 2020, 4:24pm

I would take a sum of money from a deceased estate,depending on longevity.A figure of £100 per adult year would mean a person of 83,upon death would pay a fee of £6500,with exemptions for spells inprison,blindness,deafness and people living in Yorkshire.

botty

Postby botty » 14 Jul 2020, 7:00pm

I would take a sum of money from a deceased estate,depending on longevity.A figure of £100 per adult year would mean a person of 83,upon death would pay a fee of £6500,with exemptions for spells inprison,blindness,deafness and people living in Yorkshire.

If the deceased had never watched TV why should that be? I have not watched TV for over 10 years. I don't have a TV capable of receiving broadcasts and don't watch via the internet either. Why should my estate subsidies your doing so?