TV licensing...

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: TV licensing...

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 5 Aug 2020, 2:27pm

Hi,

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/12901 ... rect-debit
"BBC faces mass TV licence cancellation in furious campaign for over 75s
Senior citizens have been urged to cancel their television licence direct debits in protest over the BBC's decision to start charging older pensioners. Campaigners called for anyone over 60 to show their anger through "direct action" as the corporation pushes ahead with imposing a fee from August."

He wrote: “Many of our members over the age of 75 have volunteered to refuse to pay the licence fee, but we do not want them to have to stand alone."
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 5 Aug 2020, 4:15pm

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/12901 ... rect-debit
"BBC faces mass TV licence cancellation in furious campaign for over 75s
Senior citizens have been urged to cancel their television licence direct debits in protest over the BBC's decision to start charging older pensioners. Campaigners called for anyone over 60 to show their anger through "direct action" as the corporation pushes ahead with imposing a fee from August."

He wrote: “Many of our members over the age of 75 have volunteered to refuse to pay the licence fee, but we do not want them to have to stand alone."

not the BBCs fault. Any way the licence should be means tested. I read only those on pension credit get it automatically, does this mean that those on just the new state pension would also be eligable, eventually, as the new state pension is only a few pennies more than P.C?

merseymouth

Postby merseymouth » 5 Aug 2020, 4:35pm

Hi, It may be true that HMG has pushed the Beeb into pulling the plug on the "Age Bonus", but they certainly have it in for us wrinklies with there push for the "Yoof Audience" on all platforms! (Kept up with that silly expression)
As someone not long for his 72nd birthday I was looking forward to the freedom from having to cough up for the TVL for the out-put provided, pap & cr*p.
If they must show a succession of repeats why can't it b stuff like "The Forsyth Saga, or even better still "Spy-catcher", of which all 26 episodes still exist? Anyone else remember that series?
No the Beeb don't deserve my money with its attitude towards us rushing for the exit door! IGICB MM

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 5 Aug 2020, 6:53pm

The Beeb don't deserve money by "taxation".
Even if our's was free, we still wouldn't watch any live telly generally ....................... but I've said this many times on here! :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall

simonineaston

Postby simonineaston » 5 Aug 2020, 7:53pm

I'm not sure I understand the use of the word "deserve" with respect to funding. Rather, I would suggest that we, the public, deserve better. I mean having access to a broadcaster that is as free from editorial bias as possible - our right (if we have one!) to democratic freedom depends on it. Think about Trump & Fox News if you need an example of the opposite. Think about the way Kuenssberg not only has access to Johnson but his respect as well. Why? 'Cos she asks him awkward questions and doesn't give up. Compare with where we would be, if we had to rely on The Sun and the rest of Murdoch's pocket so-called journalists for our understanding of UK & world news... It's not news - it's what Murdock wants us to hear - you might agree with the way he thinks but that's not the point...
Never mind sodding Forsythe Saga!
ttfn, Simon in Easton
(currently enjoying a Moulton TSR & a nano Brompton...)

Bullseye

Postby Bullseye » 6 Aug 2020, 9:57am

I don't have a licence now for the past 6 years. Every month without fail I receive their threatening letters, I ignore them all. I hated the bias displayed by the BBC and its long overdue that they went down the subscription route, those that want their propaganda can pay for it.
The problem is because I don't want to fund the BBC I can't watch any live TV at all. If I buy tea bags at sainsburys they don't force me to buy sugar, the whole situation is a farce and its about time they went subscription.

simonineaston

Postby simonineaston » 6 Aug 2020, 11:13am

Bullseye wrote:I don't have a licence now for the past 6 years. Every month without fail I receive their threatening letters, I ignore them all. I hated the bias displayed by the BBC and its long overdue that they went down the subscription route, those that want their propaganda can pay for it.
The problem is because I don't want to fund the BBC I can't watch any live TV at all. If I buy tea bags at sainsburys they don't force me to buy sugar, the whole situation is a farce and its about time they went subscription.
I'll make a couple of comments, based on my understanding of the current licencing arrangments. First, it seems reasonable for an agency to send you letters under the circumstances you describe, that is where you used to purchase a licence and then stopped, without giving the agency a reason. While you're quite entitled to do that, it makes some sense to let the agency concerned know why - presumably you decided to stop watching live TV. Once you've alerted them to your change in circ.s they'll stop writing to you (for a while at any rate!).
You refer to the BBC "bias / propaganda" - I'm not sure what you mean - do you have any examples? Are you talking about their news programmes, or else the nature of their other content? All news agencies have some sort of editorial stance - if you don't get on with the BBC's recognised line of traditional, fact-based, liberal take on news & current affairs, where do you get your unbiased material from?
Although I agree that it's not readily clear which tv services you need a licence to watch, there are lots of ways in which it is perfectly legal to do so, so I'm not exactly sure why you have a problem with watching any tv, now there are so many ways to "catch-up" :-) You don't need a licence to watch subscription services like Netflix and you don't need a licence to watch programmes from say Channel 4, or ITV so long as you do so via their respective catch-up services. The only thing you must have a licence to do, is watch any broadcast telly (BBC1 / 2 or ITV 1 / 2 or Channel 4) live - or else, fairly reasonably, using iPlayer to catch-up with BBC content. Few of us have any real need to watch anything live, except for news programs, (although the BBC make plenty of their news coverage available in ways other than broadcast tv...) and soaps maybe, if addicted! or else sport. As far as I know there are plenty of subscription-only ways to access all sorts of sports - it's just rather ironic that they are a lot more expensive than a telly licence! And it's hard to imagine how the BBC could inject bias or propaganda into a footie match, or indeed Planet Earth - Attenborough having bent over backwards to exclude anything other than strict facts, in his many excellent programmes - all available to purchase separately should you be a fan of nature study...
I do agree though, that over-all, the old-fashioned telly licence is past its best-before date and that it's due a re-boot to suit modern ways of programme consumption. As I have said many times before, the danger will be that we (indeed the whole world - there are places out there that rely on the quality and accuracy of the BBC's World Service for their only access to news & current affairs) will throw the baby out with the bath-water - if we make the BBC into a simply commercial concern, we'll risk ending up with the broadcasting equivalent of a Grenfell-type disaster... where bad things happen and no-one gives two hoots - think about Trump and his relationship with Fox News, or Maxwell and what he did to the group's pension fund...
Last edited by simonineaston on 6 Aug 2020, 12:39pm, edited 1 time in total.
ttfn, Simon in Easton

NATURAL ANKLING

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 6 Aug 2020, 12:34pm

hi,
If you stop paying for something you stop paying?
If there is no legal requirement for every single person to own a TV licence why is it when you stop buying a license you are badgered!
There is no requirement to tell the BBC that you have stopped or want to stop at all?
If there is or you think there is then We live in a Stasi country!

simonineaston

Postby simonineaston » 6 Aug 2020, 12:44pm

Communicating with others - I would call it common-sense or politeness or both. Some people say Goodnight to the landlord on the way out of the pub (or used to), some don't. Some people like to have a chat with the bloke who's just MOTed their jam-jar, some turn their back on him and drive off. Some people are comfortable acting in isolation and not recognising their follow citizens and some aren't.
ttfn, Simon in Easton

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 6 Aug 2020, 12:52pm

simonineaston wrote: ... As I have said many times before, the danger will be that we (indeed the whole world - there are places out there that rely on the quality and accuracy of the BBC's World Service for their only access to news & current affairs) will throw the baby out with the bath-water - ...

The baby was endangered from the moment the Coalition decided to withdraw Foreign and Commonwealth Office funding as an ill-considered part of Austerity.

NATURAL ANKLING

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 6 Aug 2020, 1:11pm

Hi,
simonineaston wrote:Communicating with others - I would call it common-sense or politeness or both. Some people say Goodnight to the landlord on the way out of the pub (or used to), some don't. Some people like to have a chat with the bloke who's just MOTed their jam-jar, some turn their back on him and drive off. Some people are comfortable acting in isolation and not recognising their follow citizens and some aren't.

Is that the best you can come up with :roll:

if you are renting a TV and you decided to stop renting you might expect to get some information from them but it would only be marketing et cetera.
You will explain to me why I need a TV licence to watch ITV Channel 4 et cetera et cetera if I don't want to watch any BBC material?
Live that is.

simonineaston

Postby simonineaston » 6 Aug 2020, 1:45pm

Is that the best you can come up with...
I've made the point, repeatedly, that the telly licencing arrangements need review & revision.
The current situation, with its ambiguity and complexity, is clearly unsatisfactory in a number of ways, not least the clumsy and thoroughly disliked manner in which Capita persue the goal of revenue. The fact that the system is poorly explained and hard to interpret correctly, as well as unpopular simply gives folks who are relucant to pay their way, ample opportunites to wriggle out of coughing up either by dishonestly claiming they don't need a licence or else by making out that they disagree with the BBC's point of view. Unfortunatley, experience tells Capita that these excuses are often simply lies.
Now clearly, that description is unlikley to be the case, with respect to CUK forum users, as we are all, on the whole, decent types, who can be depended on to do the right thing. But Capita are used to dealing with all sorts of types, of all sorts of moral dependability... I'll say it one more time, for the record, the system desperately needs review and revison.
The fact that they've made a start by attempting to charge the over 75s ,albeit means-tested, in the middle of periods of enforced isolation due to C19, is at best, unfortunate timing, and at worst will provoke a refusal to pay that may will upset the whole apple-cart.
ttfn, Simon in Easton

NATURAL ANKLING

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 6 Aug 2020, 2:20pm

Hi,

simonineaston wrote:First, it seems reasonable for an agency to send you letters under the circumstances you describe, that is where you used to purchase a licence and then stopped, without giving the agency a reason. While you're quite entitled to do that, it makes some sense to let the agency concerned know why - presumably you decided to stop watching live TV. Once you've alerted them to your change in circ.s they'll stop writing to you (for a while at any rate!

What you're saying is that if you pay for something and then decide you no longer want it you have to give a reason for no longer wanting it!
That's a funny way of looking at life isn't it really.

you are saying that on the one hand the whole system is out dated and needs sorting out, but then you go on to say that it's reasonable to expect people to give a reason to stop paying for something they no longer want?

If that's the law then it stinks.
And it does appear that government are implicit in allowing this to go on for so long.

I hardly think that stopping paying for a TV licence in the same way you stop paying for a mobile phone contract in the same way you stop paying for your Netflix contract et cetera et cetera Needs any input from the customer what so ever.

You may also go on to explain why Mick F After many years of not having a TV licence still is badgered and threatened by repeated letters from any organisation?

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 6 Aug 2020, 4:01pm

Snip .................
NATURAL ANKLING wrote:What you're saying is that if you pay for something and then decide you no longer want it you have to give a reason for no longer wanting it!
That's a funny way of looking at life isn't it really.

You may also go on to explain why Mick F After many years of not having a TV licence still is badgered and threatened by repeated letters from any organisation?
Every month.

Got one yesterday.
Not read it particularly or logged it into my list as yet, but it seems similar to others.

I agree with the BBC TVL, but what I DO NOT AGREE WITH is the threatening letters every month if you don't have one at an address.
Yes, I could reply ..................

Then what?
Two years later, they ask again.
Ad Infinitum.

Stop Netflix?
They would probably sent an eMail in confirmation, and that's that.

Stop a standing order?
The bank will contact you in confirmation, and that's that.

TVL?
They'll be hounding me until the day I die ............ and they won't believe that either.
Mick F. Cornwall

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 6 Aug 2020, 4:15pm

Mick F wrote: ... They'll be hounding me until the day I die ............ and they won't believe that either.

Perhaps your executor etc., will reply to the first letter received after your unfortunate demise. They may say "This is just what he would have wanted, not." They may prefer to end the hassle here on Earth and take a chance on whether anybody is watching from above.