TV licensing...

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: TV licensing...

Postby Mick F » 13 Aug 2020, 7:38pm

Thanks.
I agree with him entirely.

Strange ................. it was a BBC programme?
How could I watch it on YouTube for free without a TVL?

How can we watch BBC programmes on Netflix or on YouTube (or whatever) ............... but not watch iPlayer?

Come on BBC, sort it out! :shock:
Mick F. Cornwall

yakdiver

Postby yakdiver » 17 Aug 2020, 12:24pm

yakdiver wrote:
rjb wrote:You don't need a license to watch the beeb in prison. :lol:

I haven't got a telly so no licence, but the other day I got a letter from them saying that I have used iplayer twice this year and put me under investigation, which I have not, we will have to see what come of it.

Update
just got this email :D
Image Attachments
tv.jpg
Alias Numbnuts

simonineaston

Postby simonineaston » 17 Aug 2020, 3:25pm

I know! What a crazy system!!
ttfn, Simon in Easton
(currently enjoying a Moulton TSR & a nano Brompton...)

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 17 Aug 2020, 3:45pm

yakdiver wrote:just got this email :D
Why do they have your eMail address? :shock:

simonineaston wrote:
I know! What a crazy system!!

Crazy ........ or just pointless in this day and age.
Mick F. Cornwall

yakdiver

Postby yakdiver » 17 Aug 2020, 5:00pm

Mick F wrote:
yakdiver wrote:just got this email :D
Why do they have your eMail address? :shock:
A few years back when I told them I didn't have a TV anymore I had to fill in a form to say I no longer needed a licence.
Alias Numbnuts

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 17 Aug 2020, 7:47pm

I filled in the form online for YEARS, but never was asked for an email address.
Even if we bought a TVL, they wouldn't ask for an email address.
The reminders were sent by post, and you could reply by post or via their website. No email required.

To access online BBC radio via a computer, they want one, but we use a fictitious one, so theoretically we could watch online telly with it .......... but we don't coz it's boring and crass ............ well, it was when we last watched telly.

Talking of BBC online radio, Mrs Mick F has a Siri thing, and she can listen to R4 and R2 on it with an email address that BBC don't have a clue about, though Amazon do of course.
Mick F. Cornwall

PH

Postby PH » 17 Aug 2020, 8:54pm

Mick F wrote:How can we watch BBC programmes on Netflix

On Netflix it'll be because they've bought the rights to show it.
The BBC does have it's own Youtube channel, but there's very few programs on it, it's mostly promo clips and some news items that it deems in the public interest - like the Covid briefings. Everything else you see from the BBC is unauthorised recordings which have been uploaded, it has the right to get them removed and often does.

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 17 Aug 2020, 9:03pm

Often?
Maybe the newer stuff, but older progs are there and have been for ages - years?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWxOr6HJop8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuVsvnFtknw
Mick F. Cornwall

mumbojumbo

Postby mumbojumbo » 20 Aug 2020, 6:16am

It is amazing how a charge of £3 per week,or a daily charge of a mere 43 pence exercise pepole so much,when surveys show people overpay for energy and broadband etc.I wonder how the state might utilise a levy of 43 p collected as VAT

1.paying for Covid call-centres
2.financing 12 metres motorway construction
3.supporting Prince Andrew and his practice of helping young women find jobs abroad
4.paying child benefits to Rees-Mogg family
5.painting Royal yacht ,Britannia moored in Plymouth
6.cleaning outside of PO tower
I could go on,but surely the provision of TV services to the whole community(excepting homeless and acerbic hairshirt wearing followers of Cromwell) is worthy of a small payment,even if Strictly Come Gardening or Antiques Bake Off with Fanny Bruce-Winkelman do not appeal

Syd

Postby Syd » 20 Aug 2020, 7:02am

mumbojumbo wrote:It is amazing how a charge of £3 per week,or a daily charge of a mere 43 pence exercise pepole so much,when surveys show people overpay for energy and broadband etc.I wonder how the state might utilise a levy of 43 p collected as VAT

1.paying for Covid call-centres
2.financing 12 metres motorway construction
3.supporting Prince Andrew and his practice of helping young women find jobs abroad
4.paying child benefits to Rees-Mogg family
5.painting Royal yacht ,Britannia moored in Plymouth
6.cleaning outside of PO tower
I could go on,but surely the provision of TV services to the whole community(excepting homeless and acerbic hairshirt wearing followers of Cromwell) is worthy of a small payment,even if Strictly Come Gardening or Antiques Bake Off with Fanny Bruce-Winkelman do not appeal

Unless they removed it overnight and returned it before I woke up the Royal Yatch Britannia is most certainly still moored in Edinburgh, where it has been for many years, as I saw it once again during my morning run.

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 20 Aug 2020, 9:15am

Mick F wrote:I filled in the form online for YEARS, but never was asked for an email address.
Even if we bought a TVL, they wouldn't ask for an email address.
The reminders were sent by post, and you could reply by post or via their website. No email required.

To access online BBC radio via a computer, they want one, but we use a fictitious one, so theoretically we could watch online telly with it .......... but we don't coz it's boring and crass ............ well, it was when we last watched telly.

Talking of BBC online radio, Mrs Mick F has a Siri thing, and she can listen to R4 and R2 on it with an email address that BBC don't have a clue about, though Amazon do of course.

I think the email address is optional

mumbojumbo

Postby mumbojumbo » 20 Aug 2020, 11:24am

Unless they removed it overnight and returned it before I woke up the Royal Yatch Britannia is most certainly still moored in Edinburgh, where it has been for many years, as I saw it once again during my morning run.

Usually the draught is deeper at Leith but certainly a mooring in Princess Street or outside Waverley would please tourists.

Syd

Postby Syd » 20 Aug 2020, 2:16pm

mumbojumbo wrote:

Usually the draught is deeper at Leith but certainly a mooring in Princess Street or outside Waverley would please tourists.

Leith was merged into Edinburgh 100 years ago and is therefore only an area within the city.

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 20 Aug 2020, 2:19pm

Does Prue know?

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 20 Aug 2020, 3:00pm

Syd wrote:Leith was merged into Edinburgh 100 years ago and is therefore only an area within the city.
Tell the people from Leith about that. :wink:

"Into" Edinburgh?
It may be part of the city, but it's not "in" Edinburgh at all.
Mick F. Cornwall