TV licensing...

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Syd

TV licensing...

Postby Syd » 20 Aug 2020, 3:21pm

Mick F wrote:
Syd wrote:Leith was merged into Edinburgh 100 years ago and is therefore only an area within the city.
Tell the people from Leith about that. :wink:

"Into" Edinburgh?
It may be part of the city, but it's not "in" Edinburgh at all.

Of course it is part of Edinburgh. Very much like Corstorphine and many other areas that have come within the city over the years.

I know I live there. I don’t even have Leith in my official postal address.

mumbojumbo

Re: TV licensing...

Postby mumbojumbo » 20 Aug 2020, 4:59pm

So is Bolton or Bury part of Manchester,Bootle part of Liverpool?I bet the characters in 44 Scotland Street would wanted to be lumped in with grubby Leith,or even shabby Portobello!

Syd

Postby Syd » 20 Aug 2020, 5:20pm

mumbojumbo wrote:So is Bolton or Bury part of Manchester,Bootle part of Liverpool?I bet the characters in 44 Scotland Street would wanted to be lumped in with grubby Leith,or even shabby Portobello!

No. Bolton and Bury are both in Greater Manchester and well outside the boundaries of the city of Manchester itself. If Bolton was ever to be in any city it would be Salford as the Manchester boundary stops miles away to the east.

Bootle remains a separate town slightly to the north of Liverpool.

Leith stopped being a separate town 100 years ago when it became part of Edinburgh.

merseymouth

Postby merseymouth » 20 Aug 2020, 5:29pm

Afternoon, Bolton & Bury are part of Greater Manchester, as is Salford, but none of them is actually part of Manchester. Bear in mind also that Salford is a city in its own right!
Bootle has never been part of Liverpool, only when the knocked together to form "Merseyside" did it get confusing. I don't recognize the "Merseyside" mess, my area is Liverpool part of Lancashire. My birth certificate states Lancashire, so there I remain.
Urban sprawl is at the root of the Leith link, the outward push of the affluent classes!
Today o TV they said that Bexley Heath is part of London? Never was, but the commute has distorted geographical sense. Won't be long before they say Whitstable is part of London?
I think of Man of Kent and Kentish Man, but I suppose that because you can hear Bow Bells through the radio might make some folk believe that they must be Cockneys?
It annoys me greatly to hear Chris Boardman as being a Merseysider??? being born and still living in Hoylake he is definitely a Deesider! Which is of course part of Cheshire :( . TTFN MM

mumbojumbo

Postby mumbojumbo » 20 Aug 2020, 5:33pm

You sound like someone working for the local council or Royal Mail.Bootle merges into Liverpool,and there is no boundary other than that used by bureacrats.

mumbojumbo

Postby mumbojumbo » 20 Aug 2020, 5:38pm

I bet Chris Boardman is similarly displeased.In Yorkshire some refused to write Humberside on letters,and altered county signs.Sad that people get worked up over such minor issues,and yet overlook more looming threats to world stability.

merseymouth

Postby merseymouth » 20 Aug 2020, 5:48pm

Hi Mumbojumbo, You couldn't be more wrong if you tried!
Take an interest in cartography, then you will understand how many people resent boundary tampering. Urban sprawl & geopolitical tinkerers are to blame for sticking their oar in.
One only has to take post codes as an example? Birkenhead, the "One Eyed Town", is now roped into Chester in regards to the post office.
Ulverston is in Cumbria, according to friends who where born there and who have lived there for over 80 years. But the are lumbered with a Lancashire Post Code? As the friend of the well known Ulverston lad said - "That's another fine mess you've got me into"! :lol:
Folk get quite snooty over things, trying to give themselves airs & graces. My late paternal Granny always boasted that her parents got married in a Cathedral? Well yes & no, it was Manchester Cathedral. But that church was a Parish Church before it got the Bishopric Chair! So Granny was playing snobbish games.
Liverpool has an older Parish Church with a separate Cathedral, no confusion here.
I was born in Lancashire, and hopefully I will die in the Premier County, subject to day trips :oops: . MM

* Maybe we should start calling so called Londoners "Thames-siders"? Not to be confused with Thamesiders :lol: :lol: :lol: .
Last edited by merseymouth on 20 Aug 2020, 5:50pm, edited 1 time in total.

Syd

Postby Syd » 20 Aug 2020, 5:49pm

merseymouth wrote:Afternoon, Bolton & Bury are part of Greater Manchester, as is Salford, but none of them is actually part of Manchester. Bear in mind also that Salford is a city in its own right!

Where did I say anything different?! I lived in both Manchester and Salford for a 16 year period.

merseymouth wrote:Bootle has never been part of Liverpool, only when the knocked together to form "Merseyside" did it get confusing.

Again, where did I say anything different?! I lived in Liverpool for several years too.

Syd

Postby Syd » 20 Aug 2020, 5:52pm

mumbojumbo wrote:You sound like someone working for the local council or Royal Mail.

Wrong on both counts.

mumbojumbo wrote:Bootle merges into Liverpool,and there is no boundary other than that used by bureacrats.

There in no obvious boundary between Glasgow and Paisley but you really upset the locals if you get that one wrong.

merseymouth

Postby merseymouth » 20 Aug 2020, 5:52pm

Hi Syd, You may have lived in a stable for years but it doesn't make you a horse! Although you may do a lot of nagging :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: MM

mumbojumbo

Postby mumbojumbo » 20 Aug 2020, 6:13pm

Hi Mumbojumbo, You couldn't be more wrong if you tried!
Take an interest in cartography, then you will understand how many people resent boundary tampering. Urban sprawl & geopolitical tinkerers are to blame for sticking their oar in.
One only has to take post codes as an example? Birkenhead, the "One Eyed Town", is now roped into Chester in regards to the post office.
Ulverston is in Cumbria, according to friends who where born there and who have lived there for over 80 years. But the are lumbered with a Lancashire Post Code? As the friend of the well known Ulverston lad said - "That's another fine mess you've got me into"! :lol:
Folk get quite snooty over things, trying to give themselves airs & graces. My late paternal Granny always boasted that her parents got married in a Cathedral? Well yes & no, it was Manchester Cathedral. But that church was a Parish Church before it got the Bishopric Chair! So Granny was playing snobbish games.
Liverpool has an older Parish Church with a separate Cathedral, no confusion here.
I was born in Lancashire, and hopefully I will die in the Premier County, subject to day trips :oops: . MM

* Maybe we should start calling so called Londoners "Thames-siders"? Not to be confused with Thamesiders :lol: :lol: :lol: .
Last edited by merseymouth on 20 Aug 2020, 5:50pm, edited 1 time in total.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Furness

This shows a bit about the cartography I learnt at primary school,and shows Ulverston and Barrow belonged to Lancashire,once.It shows the limits of your own grasp of your county,and your Ulverston friends were misinformed or told you an untruth knowingly.

merseymouth

Postby merseymouth » 20 Aug 2020, 6:17pm

Hi Mumbojumbo, I need your authoritative view on both Berwick & Todmorden? Good luck. MM

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 20 Aug 2020, 6:22pm

Postcodes are another bugbear.
Mrs Mick F lived in Burscough, Lancashire and was born in Bootle, Lancashire.
The postcode where they lived in Burscough was a Liverpool one.
We have a Plymouth one even though Plymouth is in England, and we live in Cornwall.

Geography and heritage and boundaries have been swept away by bureaucracy and sprawl.

Leith is Leith, and Edinburgh is Edinburgh. Been there loads of times to both, and they are separate places but under the same bureaucracy.
Mick F. Cornwall

mumbojumbo

Postby mumbojumbo » 20 Aug 2020, 6:32pm

Hi Mumbojumbo, I need your authoritative view on both Berwick & Todmorden? Good luck. MM

|s this a substitute for an apology?
Berwick ,an English team plating in a Scottish League.Todmorden claimed equally by Lancashire,and Yorkshire,birthplace of Shackleton,and boasting the greatest population of lesbian couples outside London,and where food grows in municipal gardens.Lancs claim it is in Yorks etc. etc.

Oldjohnw

Postby Oldjohnw » 20 Aug 2020, 6:34pm

mumbojumbo wrote:

|s this a substitute for an apology?
Berwick ,an English team plating in a Scottish League.Todmorden claimed equally by Lancashire,and Yorkshire,birthplace of Shackleton,and boasting the greatest population of lesbian couples outside London,and where food grows in municipal gardens.Lancs claim it is in Yorks etc. etc.

Berwick is no longer in a Scottish Professional League. Demoted last year. Still a Scottish League - The Lowland League which is an amateur league.
John