TV licensing...

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
User avatar
NATURAL ANKLING
Posts: 9463
Joined: 24 Oct 2012, 10:43pm
Location: English Riviera

Re: TV licensing...

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 17 Dec 2018, 9:46am

Hi,
SCRAP THE BBC!

I see now that the bbc are starting to look and act like a commercial company, advertising their own items within the actual program, like the weather is coming up soon with a 10 second sneak preview of weather man / person.
Priority Is Still 500K In 24..Just Dreaming...Stay Focused Guys And Keep Sharp...
You'll Find Me At The Top Of a Hill...............Somewhere

User avatar
Mick F
Spambuster
Posts: 43592
Joined: 7 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Tamar Valley, Cornwall

Re: TV licensing...

Postby Mick F » 17 Dec 2018, 10:00am

Only starting?

It was one of my many complaints years ago when we had a telly. What ever happened to The Magic Roundabout et al?
Instead of having slack in the programming where you could fit in a short programme, they fill all the available slots with self-advertising.
Mick F. Cornwall

mercalia
Posts: 9201
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: TV licensing...

Postby mercalia » 17 Dec 2018, 12:27pm

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
SCRAP THE BBC!

I see now that the bbc are starting to look and act like a commercial company, advertising their own items within the actual program, like the weather is coming up soon with a 10 second sneak preview of weather man / person.



well better than the way adverts are done in the USA where typically they are not before or after a show but a large flyer across the bottom of the screen taking up maybe a 5th of the screen :shock: :evil: :twisted:

User avatar
mjr
Posts: 11483
Joined: 20 Jun 2011, 7:06pm
Location: Norfolk or Somerset, mostly
Contact:

Re: TV licensing...

Postby mjr » 17 Dec 2018, 1:16pm

mercalia wrote:well better than the way adverts are done in the USA where typically they are not before or after a show but a large flyer across the bottom of the screen taking up maybe a 5th of the screen :shock: :evil: :twisted:

I thought the BBC had taken to shrinking the end of the show to half-screen so they can use the other half for adverts. Usually it's only the credits that get shrunk, but sometimes the final scene of the show gets the treatment probably by mistake. I think it's a tactic to boost iplayer use, like those trailers that show loads of interesting programmes and then say "This month on the BBC" without telling you when any are on and what channel. Hooray for "EPG Search" on digital TVs!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

User avatar
Pastychomper
Posts: 170
Joined: 14 Nov 2017, 11:14am
Location: Caithness

Re: TV licensing...

Postby Pastychomper » 17 Dec 2018, 1:21pm

I remember reading a story by Larry Niven in which the only TV broadcasts in the world were news, because anything worth watching that hadn't just happened could be purchased cheaply as a recording, without adverts. One of his more pleasant ideas, in my opinion.
Everyone's ghast should get a good flabbering now and then.
--Ole Boot

mercalia
Posts: 9201
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: TV licensing...

Postby mercalia » 17 Dec 2018, 5:12pm

mjr wrote:
mercalia wrote:well better than the way adverts are done in the USA where typically they are not before or after a show but a large flyer across the bottom of the screen taking up maybe a 5th of the screen :shock: :evil: :twisted:

I thought the BBC had taken to shrinking the end of the show to half-screen so they can use the other half for adverts. Usually it's only the credits that get shrunk, but sometimes the final scene of the show gets the treatment probably by mistake. I think it's a tactic to boost iplayer use, like those trailers that show loads of interesting programmes and then say "This month on the BBC" without telling you when any are on and what channel. Hooray for "EPG Search" on digital TVs!


adverts US style
adverts usa style.JPG
adverts usa style

or
adverts usa style 2.JPG
adverts usa style

User avatar
Mick F
Spambuster
Posts: 43592
Joined: 7 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Tamar Valley, Cornwall

Re: TV licensing...

Postby Mick F » 19 Dec 2018, 3:15pm

The December one has arrived! :D
Early, as they have been arriving at the end of the month - they must have posted early to avoid the Christmas rush - but no card enclosed. Pity, it would have been nice.

This one is Number Twelve, and I did wonder how many different ones they have.


Mick F wrote:They wrote again at the end of November. That was the 11th one ............... and all have been different.
They seem to arrive monthly, so I'm on tenderhooks waiting for the December one. Hopefully it'll contain a Christmas card. :D
The December one will be Number 12. I wonder how many different ones they have?
Mick F wrote:New letter today! :D
Entitled, "Will you be in on the 10th October?"

Para 1:
As there is no record of a TV licence at the above address, you should expect a visit from an Enforcement Officer.

Para 2:
It may be on 10th October, or on another day.


That one was Number Nine, and Number Twelve is identical - except they say January 3rd.
Mick F. Cornwall

philvantwo
Posts: 296
Joined: 8 Dec 2012, 6:08pm

Re: TV licensing...

Postby philvantwo » 19 Dec 2018, 7:42pm

Capita run the TV licensing for the BBC now, from a ten year contract they expect to earn up to 1.5 billion pounds! That's as much as Alan Sugars got!
How do you watch films though Mick F if you've got no television?
[color=#FF0000][/color]

User avatar
Mick F
Spambuster
Posts: 43592
Joined: 7 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Tamar Valley, Cornwall

Re: TV licensing...

Postby Mick F » 19 Dec 2018, 7:57pm

We have an iMac in the living room and a MacBook Air each and a good internet connection.
YouTube, Netflix, and a collection of DVDs.

When we chucked the old analogue telly out and installed the iMac, we bought a TV unit that connected to the telly aerial and the software showed us live telly. When Gunnislake went Freeview digital telly, it was a couple of keystrokes to change the settings and Hey Presto it was up and running. Shortly after that, we took the unit off the back, pulled down the telly aerial and wiped the software.

Not had telly, not paid for a TVL since ....... and we don't miss it in the slightest.
Mick F. Cornwall

mercalia
Posts: 9201
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: TV licensing...

Postby mercalia » 19 Dec 2018, 8:09pm

Mick F wrote:We have an iMac in the living room and a MacBook Air each and a good internet connection.
YouTube, Netflix, and a collection of DVDs.

When we chucked the old analogue telly out and installed the iMac, we bought a TV unit that connected to the telly aerial and the software showed us live telly. When Gunnislake went Freeview digital telly, it was a couple of keystrokes to change the settings and Hey Presto it was up and running. Shortly after that, we took the unit off the back, pulled down the telly aerial and wiped the software.

Not had telly, not paid for a TVL since ....... and we don't miss it in the slightest.



yes DVDs can be got from places like CEX or MusicMagpie at cheap prices, though I tend to get blu rays these days when they are just £1-2. TV series esp can be got very cheap on dvd ok for old tv series that were never HD. I rip them all to my Media Center PC ( part of Windows 7 ). Its a real shame that Microsoft discontinued this item in WIndows 10 as it was/is a real fine product. I too got rid of my TVL a few years ago. By the way it is legal to listen to Freeview Radio from an ariel, just delete all the tv channels.
Last edited by mercalia on 19 Dec 2018, 8:21pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Mick F
Spambuster
Posts: 43592
Joined: 7 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Tamar Valley, Cornwall

Re: TV licensing...

Postby Mick F » 19 Dec 2018, 8:15pm

Oh .............. and a nice stereo bluetooth speaker unit.
We can listen to on-line radio fed from the iMac anywhere in the house and garden, and when put next to the screen we have enhanced sound quality of what we're watching on-screen.
Mick F. Cornwall

mercalia
Posts: 9201
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: TV licensing...

Postby mercalia » 4 Jan 2019, 4:12pm

seems like some one else is trying the BBC TV Licence SCAM ( other than Capita )

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-46745298

seems like having a double barrelled name doesnt protect you from being rather dim?

"Leesa Hellings-Lamb, from Bolton, told the BBC she received an "incredibly realistic" email from what she thought was TV Licensing claiming her licence was due to expire in two days.

She followed the link in the email and began entering her bank details but became "suspicious" when she was asked for "too much information".

"Eventually I realised it was a scam," said Ms Hellings-Lamb, who managed to avoid confirming her details to the fraudsters."

well sweety, they may still have your details as a script may have been sending them home as you typed them in - not clicking the confirm button means diddly squat

User avatar
Mick F
Spambuster
Posts: 43592
Joined: 7 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Tamar Valley, Cornwall

Re: TV licensing...

Postby Mick F » 5 Jan 2019, 6:57pm

Yes, I heard all about this on the news today.
More fools falling for scams.

If TVL people emailed us, they must be scammers ................. they write letters to us as "The Legal Occupier" :lol: :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall

User avatar
NATURAL ANKLING
Posts: 9463
Joined: 24 Oct 2012, 10:43pm
Location: English Riviera

Re: TV licensing...

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 5 Jan 2019, 10:50pm

Hi,
What happens if you squat at a property and the owner has a licence......squatter ok?...then it runs out.............whilst you squat............or they don't have a licence....

Your not squatting on the Lord of the manors land are you Mick....or are you the Lord :)
Priority Is Still 500K In 24..Just Dreaming...Stay Focused Guys And Keep Sharp...
You'll Find Me At The Top Of a Hill...............Somewhere

User avatar
Mick F
Spambuster
Posts: 43592
Joined: 7 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Tamar Valley, Cornwall

Re: TV licensing...

Postby Mick F » 6 Jan 2019, 10:37am

If I wanted to watch live telly, I'd take my laptop to the local pub and use their WiFi whilst utilising their TVL.
Mick F. Cornwall