TV licensing...

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
al_yrpal

Re: TV licensing...

Postby al_yrpal » 6 Feb 2020, 5:11pm

I quite like some of the Beebs output but agree there is a lot of useless dross and tat. Endless cooking programmes, endless quizzes, etc, but some great dramas and documentarys. For £12 a month its quite a bit more expensive than Netflix which is also mostly rubbish without the range of programmes the Beeb has.

Al
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. What do you do to make a difference?

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 6 Feb 2020, 7:33pm

Yep.
All correct, Al.

I think I'd cancel our Netflix account in a jiffy, but Mrs Mick F watches stuff on her laptop.
We pay £5.99 a month to watch stuff on one device at a time. Pay £8.99 and you can watch two devices at a time.
Best way of doing it IMHO is for two separate people in different homes to share the £8.99 = £4.50 each and watch on their own device.

As for BBC, I only want R4 but not much at all.
I like the Today programme but only listen and pay any attention from 6am to maybe 8:30. May as well be off after that.
BBC Radio Cornwall is good from 9am for an hour or two with David White. It may as well go off after that as well.

I used to like You and Yours on R4 from noon to 2pm, but they've whittled it down to little more than half an hour now. Tuesdays with the awful phone-in doesn't even get considered.

Should the BBC even exist?
It's a close call as far as I'm concerned. Definitely not going to pay for the damned thing and even if when I turn 75 and they give it for free, I still wouldn't bother with it.

Scrap the BBC and I wouldn't shed a tear.
Mick F. Cornwall

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 6 Feb 2020, 8:49pm

I don't know why people pay for Netflix as the films are old, can get the dvd/ blu ray from CEX for a pittance.

carpetcleaner

Postby carpetcleaner » 6 Feb 2020, 9:40pm

There is strong support for the compulsory licence fee from those on the so called progressive left of the political spectrum. They are quite happy for the state to ensure the funding of large amounts of vapid TV and radio to divert the masses, then they complain that those masses are too uneducated and ignorant to be trusted with important choices like whether the UK should be in the EU or not.

philvantwo

Postby philvantwo » 6 Feb 2020, 9:59pm

Had months free trial of Netflix last christmas, what a load of rubbish! Never watched a thing.
[color=#FF0000][/color]

Psamathe

Postby Psamathe » 6 Feb 2020, 10:14pm

I have the general impression it's people who enjoy the BBC that support the license fee and those who don't watch it who think the license fee should end. Which in effect is those using the BBC want to continue to be subsidised by those who don't use the service. Fair?

Ian

al_yrpal

Postby al_yrpal » 6 Feb 2020, 10:31pm

I now live with my daughter and can watch Netflix on my TV free. I also pay for Amazon Prime and thus have free programmes from that. I did enjoy Breaking Bad on Netflix and Designated Survivor on Prime, but the latter was very formulaic and flogged to death. However my daughter and Son in Law watch both services quite a lot. Since I am 77 they have had free BBC for the last year, that will end.
I like the BBC TV News, some political stuff, most of the documentries and some of the dramas. Some of R4s stuff is good and 6 Music too. Younger people's tastes are different. The BBC is going to be up against it in future.

Al
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. What do you do to make a difference?

Oldjohnw

Postby Oldjohnw » 6 Feb 2020, 10:33pm

Psamathe wrote:I have the general impression it's people who enjoy the BBC that support the license fee and those who don't watch it who think the license fee should end. Which in effect is those using the BBC want to continue to be subsidised by those who don't use the service. Fair?

Ian

I don't see how you can assume that those using the BBC want to be subsidised. TBH it never occurred to me. I don't watch it but have been ok about paying the fee. Plus, if you don't watch the BBC, why pay the LF?
John

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 7 Feb 2020, 12:25am

The only good thing about the BBC is its website and various podcasts ( from radio I assume) Thats the only BBC I use these days. I used to listen to a few music shows on Radio Three, but no longer. BBC Telly? Well I dont have a TV license so thats a bit hard. Not much there I would want to watch. I picked up a few blu rays from CEX of old David Attenborough nature shows for a £ or so, thats about it really. Sport? Lineker aint going to get any of my money. Some one else can contribute to his £1.5m is it income.

carpetcleaner

Postby carpetcleaner » 7 Feb 2020, 6:33am

Psamathe wrote:I have the general impression it's people who enjoy the BBC that support the license fee and those who don't watch it who think the license fee should end. Which in effect is those using the BBC want to continue to be subsidised by those who don't use the service. Fair?

Ian

I've noticed this too. Advocates of the BBC often have two other characteristics. The first is to justify everyone paying for the BBC by comparing it to the NHS. They don't seem to understand that the NHS provides a necessity of life and the BBC does not. Secondly they sneer at people who choose to pay for Sky and say they would never do so themselves. They'd be appalled if they were forced to do so meaning that they themselves would be required to pay for TV services they do not want, but they are quite happy that their TV viewing is subsidised by people forced to pay for the BBC by the criminal law system.

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 7 Feb 2020, 8:38am

mercalia wrote:I don't know why people pay for Netflix as the films are old, can get the dvd/ blu ray from CEX for a pittance.
Yes, we have quite a stash - all recorded as MP4 on a hard drive. The originals we sell back, or donate to a charity shop. Also downloaded a few off YouTube and put on the HD with the movies.

Not watched any of them for a month or two perhaps.

philvantwo wrote:Had months free trial of Netflix last christmas, what a load of rubbish! Never watched a thing.
It's been a week or two since I was watching a few Red Dwarf, but other than that, it's been months.

Mrs Mick F watches things on Netflix, but I don't think she gets our money's worth. It was me who suggested to her that we should scrap the TV. We tried for a a year, and she wanted it back, so I relented. After that year, she agreed with me as we'd hardly had the thing on at all!
Mick F. Cornwall

Oldjohnw

Postby Oldjohnw » 7 Feb 2020, 8:56am

A couple of years ago my daughter bought us a subscription for Netflix. I watched nothing: Mrs ojw watched part of the Crown. That was it. I don't watch sport except a bit of tennis and occasionally some athletics if a major event - I have a niece and a friend's son who participate internationally (my niece for an Olympic Bronze twice).

On the BBC I watch wildlife and various other documentaries quite unavailable eleswhere, usually on iPlayer.

I have considered the LF worthwhile because it supports the World Service and various foreign language programmes which I believe is a force for good, enabling people in the Middle East, China, Russia to hear a different POV.

I don't understand this about people happy to be subsidised by those who don't watch the bbc. but are forced to pay. If you don't watch it why pay the fee? The CJ system will not force you. I have never thought about my viewing being subsidised: rather I subsidise as above.
John

peetee

Postby peetee » 7 Feb 2020, 9:43am

My son has a Netflix account and, to my great surprise, I noticed it includes BBC programs. Being TV licence free, with some trepidation and expecting the door to be beaten-in by ‘The Establishment’ I stole myself to watch an episode of Q.I. - one of the few programs I would tune in for when we still had a TV.
Oh dear, what was once a very entertaining mix of humour and quirky facts is now riddled with smut, innuendo and expletives.
It seems my choice to give up the goggle-box all those years ago has even more relevance and weight now.
Current status report:
Back on two wheels in deepest Pastyland and loving every minute. Mission: to enjoy big, bad hills again.

carpetcleaner

Postby carpetcleaner » 7 Feb 2020, 10:20am

Oldjohnw wrote:
I don't understand this about people happy to be subsidised by those who don't watch the bbc. but are forced to pay. If you don't watch it why pay the fee? The CJ system will not force you. I have never thought about my viewing being subsidised: rather I subsidise as above.

It is quite simple really. People complain about having to pay for the BBC because they have to to obtain the state's permission to watch any TV channels at all.

Nobody would complain about the state's licence fee if they could simply not pay it, not watch the BBC, but use their TV to watch the products of all other broadcasters.

The state fee to fund its own broadcaster in return for permission to watch any TV at all is as ridiculous and sinister as it would be if we had a state newspaper which was published at great expense and which was handed out free at newsagents to anyone who wanted it on production of a licence, that licence also giving the holder permission to purchase any other newspapers of his choice - no licence, no papers at all.

Many TV viewers would stop paying the licence fee if non-purchase was decriminalised because they are quite willing to do without the BBC's offerings. If this happened the BBC would need to charge people like you more to maintain its income. That's why you are currently being subsidised,

NATURAL ANKLING

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 7 Feb 2020, 10:23am

Hi,
Oldjohnw wrote:

Ian

I don't see how you can assume that those using the BBC want to be subsidised. TBH it never occurred to me. I don't watch it but have been ok about paying the fee. Plus, if you don't watch the BBC, why pay the LF?

The wording I think is very vague.
I think the fact is if you have a receiver that is possible to watch TV live then you need a license irrespective of if you watch BBC or not.
Just saying you never watch BBC does not get you out of paying the license does it, otherwise we all could do it and we could watch a bbc program when we wanted to without detection.
I just thought to watch iPlayer now you need to have signed up and say you have a licence.
Perhaps the BBC come up with a system similar to that for watching programs made by the BBC.
Then they wouldn't have to send out letters and inspectors to knock on your door.
But we know that's never going to happen as overnight they will lose most of their money.
There is no wording in the license fee as far as I know which said you can watch TV live as long as you don't watch BBC stuff.
Some of the BBC stuff is worth watching, like some others on here have said.
But as mentioned further up post license fee holders are paying to watch celebrities in rigged dance competitions.
We are used to watching rigged TV competitions
But competitions for their own employees Are not morally correct are they, Especially when they win several times.
The BBC probably have an excuse for that too, saying that it will be fair.
In my opinion BBC have left it too late to keep up, they are always shooting themselves in the foot with knee-jerk reactions when they get accused of ageism racism et cetera.
In the frustration to get it right they overlook moral issues, As I said further up post our local BBC News station has become even more and more obsessed with showing children on TV?
Let's hope that they move up quick and go for Subscription., they already have a commercial arm to the business, where they have moved all their highly paid mates so they are Out of public scrutiny.
How are you handle unbiased news reporting I don't know.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.