Prog rock music

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Alan D

Prog rock music

Postby Alan D » 17 Aug 2014, 12:16pm

At last weeks Cropredy festival, Mrs D picked up a copy of the music Magazine 'Prog'. Attracted by the article on the 'Top 100 voted Prog rock albums', I did a quick count and was pleased to see that I have 22 of them. So here they are:
At 97 we have Steve Hackett with Voyage of the Acolyte.
95 Moody Blues with To our Childrens Children Children.
94 see Jeff Wayne with War of the Worlds.
At 92 the first of two entries by Rick Wakeman with The six wives of Henry IIIV
A big jump to 77, it's Supertramp and Crime of the century.
The Beatles are in at 72 with Sgt Pepper.
At 71 the first of 5 entries by Pink Floyd, Atom Heart Mother.
A single entry by Mike Oldfield at 60 with ...... Tubular Bells!
Rick Wakeman's second entry at 55 with Journey to the Centre of the Earth.
At 44, the first of four entries by Genesis with Wind + Wauthering.
Quickly followed at 41 with a new acquisition from Genesis that day with Nursery Cryme.
37 its Pink Floyd again with Meddle
At 31 another single entry, a surprising entry this time from Camel and The Snow Goose.
Yes is doing well at 26 with Going for the One.
Genesis again at 21 with my personal favourite, A trick of the Tail.
And back to Yes at 19 with Relayer.
14 sees us back at Pink Floyd with Animals.
Now into the top ten.
And at 10 it's Yes with Fragile.
The last two entries from Pink Floyd, at 7 we have Wish you were here and at 4 it's........ what else could it be, but Dark side of the Moon.
At 3 we have the last entry from Genesis with Selling England by the Pound
And at No. 1 we have
Close to the Edge by Yes

Narrowly missing the charts, but deserving a special mention in the article we also have:
The Beach Boys with Surfs Up
Yes and Relayer
Pink Floyd with Piper at the Gates of Dawn
And lastly, an easily overlooked, but vastly underrated Olias of Sunhillow by Jon Anderson.

That's it Prog pickers....

barrym

Re: Prog rock music

Postby barrym » 17 Aug 2014, 12:21pm

How strange, only thinking about Atom Heart Mother this morning. Used to love it back in the day, only Floyd album that I do like. Might have to d/l as fresh copy.

Surprised there's no King Crimson.

Barry
--
Cheers
Barry

al_yrpal

Postby al_yrpal » 17 Aug 2014, 12:56pm

Really like Porcupine Tree. Gerry Clarkson seems to like this stuff..

Al
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. What do you do to make a difference?

Alan D

Postby Alan D » 17 Aug 2014, 3:46pm

King Crimsons Lizard is #96 and Discipline is #70
What have you got in the top 100?
www.progmagazine.com

Cunobelin

Postby Cunobelin » 17 Aug 2014, 4:04pm

I saw the Rick Wakeman "Journey to the Centre of the Earth concert at the Royal Albert Hall earlier this year - a superb event

Cunobelin

Postby Cunobelin » 17 Aug 2014, 4:05pm

Alan D wrote:At last weeks Cropredy festival, Mrs D picked up a copy of the music Magazine 'Prog'. Attracted by the article on the 'Top 100 voted Prog rock albums', I did a quick count and was pleased to see that I have 22 of them. So here they are:
At 97 we have Steve Hackett with Voyage of the Acolyte.
95 Moody Blues with To our Childrens Children Children.
94 see Jeff Wayne with War of the Worlds.
At 92 the first of two entries by Rick Wakeman with The six wives of Henry IIIV
A big jump to 77, it's Supertramp and Crime of the century.
The Beatles are in at 72 with Sgt Pepper.
At 71 the first of 5 entries by Pink Floyd, Atom Heart Mother.
A single entry by Mike Oldfield at 60 with ...... Tubular Bells!
Rick Wakeman's second entry at 55 with Journey to the Centre of the Earth.
At 44, the first of four entries by Genesis with Wind + Wauthering.
Quickly followed at 41 with a new acquisition from Genesis that day with Nursery Cryme.
37 its Pink Floyd again with Meddle
At 31 another single entry, a surprising entry this time from Camel and The Snow Goose.
Yes is doing well at 26 with Going for the One.
Genesis again at 21 with my personal favourite, A trick of the Tail.
And back to Yes at 19 with Relayer.
14 sees us back at Pink Floyd with Animals.
Now into the top ten.
And at 10 it's Yes with Fragile.
The last two entries from Pink Floyd, at 7 we have Wish you were here and at 4 it's........ what else could it be, but Dark side of the Moon.
At 3 we have the last entry from Genesis with Selling England by the Pound
And at No. 1 we have
Close to the Edge by Yes

Narrowly missing the charts, but deserving a special mention in the article we also have:
The Beach Boys with Surfs Up
Yes and Relayer
Pink Floyd with Piper at the Gates of Dawn
And lastly, an easily overlooked, but vastly underrated Olias of Sunhillow by Jon Anderson.

That's it Prog pickers....

... and sadly, very, very sadly ......

I own every single one of those!

Neilo

Postby Neilo » 17 Aug 2014, 9:07pm

got a few of those as well :roll:
No Rush?

Neil
If it aint broke, fix it til it is.

tatanab

Postby tatanab » 17 Aug 2014, 9:12pm

Wot, no Nice!

Tubular Bells and War of the Worlds would not have been described as Prog Rock. Indeed the days of Prog Rock were pretty much over by the time War of the Worlds came out. I was about 25 at that time and associate Prog Rock more with the early 70s when I was about 20.

Psamathe

Postby Psamathe » 17 Aug 2014, 9:24pm

Also got quite a lot of them.

Not sure I agree with all the choices (e.g. Yes have some far better albums like "Time and a Word").

Also, I never really considered Pink Floyd in the Prog Rock genre. Similarly, never thought of The Beatles in that genre either.

Surprised there is no Caravan, no Curved Air, no Focus, no Hawkwind, no Renaissance, no Rush (I agree with above), no Manfred Mann Earth Band, etc. in there.

SuerTramp Crime of the Century - excellent LP. Only recently come across Roger Hodgeson's "Open the Door" album (which seems to be carrying the SuperTramp banner onward).

I often wonder about the "Genre" thing as it seems a continuum and there would often be quite a debate about what genre any music might be categorised in. There seems quite a bit of similar style music being made today but nobody likes the "Prog Rock" genre title so they invent different names for it.

Ian

Cunobelin

Postby Cunobelin » 17 Aug 2014, 10:38pm

Psamathe wrote:Also got quite a lot of them.

Not sure I agree with all the choices (e.g. Yes have some far better albums like "Time and a Word").

Also, I never really considered Pink Floyd in the Prog Rock genre. Similarly, never thought of The Beatles in that genre either.

Surprised there is no Caravan, no Curved Air, no Focus, no Hawkwind, no Renaissance, no Rush (I agree with above), no Manfred Mann Earth Band, etc. in there.

SuerTramp Crime of the Century - excellent LP. Only recently come across Roger Hodgeson's "Open the Door" album (which seems to be carrying the SuperTramp banner onward).

I often wonder about the "Genre" thing as it seems a continuum and there would often be quite a debate about what genre any music might be categorised in. There seems quite a bit of similar style music being made today but nobody likes the "Prog Rock" genre title so they invent different names for it.

Ian

Curved Air was almost an apprenticeship.....

When you look at their list of members it is a "who's who" of rock

I remember (fondly) Sonja Kristina in thigh length boots at the Cambridge Corn Exchange, with an unknown drummer called Stewart Copeland

... and has any other band had a violin sol of that length and intensity?

pete75

Postby pete75 » 17 Aug 2014, 11:57pm

And then there's this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sc79m1X-mXU

I liked some prog rock at the time but thank god the Pistols, Clash, Siouxie et al eventually came along to blow away the whole thing and bands like the Who, CCR and the Doors kept the flame alive before it happened.

al_yrpal

Postby al_yrpal » 18 Aug 2014, 9:00am

Prog Rock encompassed some great musical gems but I get bored with living in the past musically. Just lately I have been following the alternative music Festival scene worldwide and there are some great bands out there right now. After all 'Prog Rock' is actually an oxymoron although it defines a certain sort of music, to say nothing of stage fashion.
Have a listen to Alcest, War on Drugs and Imagine Dragons for some fresh sounds.

Al
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. What do you do to make a difference?

simonineaston

Postby simonineaston » 18 Aug 2014, 9:52am

Boring, meandering, self-indulgent twaddle back then and hasn't improved with age! Pop should be 3 minutes long, tops. Sinatra knew it, Presley knew it and to his credit the penny dropped with Stewart Copeland too...
ttfn, Simon in Easton
(currently enjoying a Moulton TSR & a nano Brompton...)

al_yrpal

Postby al_yrpal » 18 Aug 2014, 9:59am

+1 on too long... Repeated musical phrases just boredom.

Al

eclipse

Postby eclipse » 18 Aug 2014, 6:06pm

Sorry, but I have to agree that prog to me is tedious, pompous, long winded and totally misses the 'rock' bit.....
Old AC/DC......much more like it. :D