Canoe

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
reohn2

Canoe

Post by reohn2 »

Anyone do any canoedling(open,Canadian not Kayaking)been looking at a Venture Prospector 16 :) it would be gentle stuff,lakes,mild rivers,etc.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Bonefishblues

Re: Canoe

Post by Bonefishblues »

Given our mutual passion shouldn't you be looking at one of these instead :o : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lD6OQhCeXqs

I'm a fishist too, so the fact that these keep your arms free to rod-waggle, is perfect!
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Do you know how to paddle ?
If yes, ignore the rest of my post as I ask only as I find canoes a complete "pain" compared to a kayak. They are slow, heavy, harder to control. The are a complete @£$% is going single handed.

For me a kayak is better in so many ways. Of course different people are looking for different things, but if you don't have experience of both, try doing your 1 star BCU (either a 6hr course or over a few evenings and not difficult) and ask to try both.

Ian
SteveHunter

Post by SteveHunter »

I agree with the above. Canoes are not easy to paddle. Having only one blade on one side makes going in a straight line quote hard until you have mastered the stroke properly. It's not easy. A kayak is a lot easier to paddle and as you are sat down a lot more comfortable for long periods. A nice touring kayak would be ideal.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

SteveHunter wrote:I agree with the above. Canoes are not easy to paddle. Having only one blade on one side makes going in a straight line quote hard until you have mastered the stroke properly. It's not easy.

And it always strikes me as very wasteful of energy as well, when you make a drive forward stroke and you have to waste a significant part of the energy with the "direction steer" at the end of the stroke. Even more extreme when single handed.

Ian
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bonefishblues wrote:Given our mutual passion shouldn't you be looking at one of these instead :o : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lD6OQhCeXqs

I'm a fishist too, so the fact that these keep your arms free to rod-waggle, is perfect!

I gave up worm drowning about 30 years ago on compassionate grounds to worms,so the flipping canoe in the video won't suit me/us,though it's a novel idea :wink:
Last edited by reohn2 on 31 Aug 2014, 4:48pm, edited 1 time in total.
W H Auden
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Me too - exclusively a fly-botherer now.

ETA
The Hobie's an interesting take on things though - using the much stronger leg muscles for propulsion.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Psamathe wrote:Do you know how to paddle ?

Yep,but it's been quite a while since I've done any.

I find canoes a complete "pain" compared to a kayak. They are slow, heavy, harder to control. The are a complete @£$% is going single handed.

I know what you mean but it'll be two man and two grandchildren aged 10 and 7 with a view to maybe a bit of camping.

For me a kayak is better in so many ways.

That may come later. :)

but if you don't have experience of both, try doing your 1 star BCU (either a 6hr course or over a few evenings and not difficult) and ask to try both.

Ian

I don't think,due there being two or more,that we'll all go on a course.
W H Auden
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

Unfortunately no canoedaling at the moment just me and the dog in the caravan in Wales.

That seems a reasonable boat and not to heavy (Coleman and some Old Town) and compared to some a reasonably good price.
I have just looked on Ebay and seen some wooden kits that given your knowledge and experience could make a nice project over the winter.
The reason for mentioning this is you get a much nicer looking boat that is usually lighter and often hold a straight line better. On lakes a cross wind in a pest and a pain but with a canoe easy to compensate for. Just paddle on the other side. :)

Provided you are not trying to go fast the full J stroke is not normally necessary even on your own. You just end with a slow relaxed rudder finish.

You could check out the sit on type of Kayak for ease of paddling and fun for the grand children. It would be possible for 2 to use one of these for a camping trip but again they are heavy.

This may just inspire me to get my very old wooden single out to use again.

Some of the modern inflatable Kayaks seem to be worth checking out. A friend has one that cost about £500 and it handles nicely on the lakes.
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
yakdiver

Post by yakdiver »

I would seriously think on doing the BCU 1 star course, you will learn so much in one day and it would be money well spent.
fast but dim

Post by fast but dim »

I've just sold a 17' venture canoes peace river cruiser :roll:

I'd seriously look at hiring: I had an open boat for 6 or 7 years ( plus a Sit on) but only used the canoe a couple times annually, mainly due to the hassle of loading it on the car (big 4x4 :wink: ) and put ins. It's ok if you're with another adult, but with kids the whole transport to the put in is hard work.

That's before you get on the water: my lad's just turned 11, and our last trip camping on Derwentwater (Easter) with a river trip was very hard work due to wind, and only one competant paddler (me).

I've just got a Ocean kayaks malibu xl: not as dry, but easier to use and transport.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

yakdiver wrote:I would seriously think on doing the BCU 1 star course, you will learn so much in one day and it would be money well spent.

+1
If you talk to some local schools you can probably all do it together and it should not cost much. Or look into local clubs who probably include the training for free (i.e. part of them membership).

Ian
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Psamathe wrote:Do you know how to paddle ?
If yes, ignore the rest of my post as I ask only as I find canoes a complete "pain" compared to a kayak. They are slow, heavy, harder to control. The are a complete @£$% is going single handed.

But OTOH compared to a kayak they're more comfortable, carry more, are easier to pack, allow you to take a friend (or two), and while they are more difficult to control there's also the pleasure in doing a harder job well.

I have a kayak playboat for surf and silliness, a sea kayak for, err, the sea, but for flatter stuff I do prefer a canoe, despite all the disadvantages listed above.

Psamathe wrote:For me a kayak is better in so many ways. Of course different people are looking for different things, but if you don't have experience of both, try doing your 1 star BCU (either a 6hr course or over a few evenings and not difficult) and ask to try both.

Smart plan!

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Heltor Chasca

Canoe

Post by Heltor Chasca »

I have spent years in all sorts of boats including kayaks but I've settled into a canoe (Wenonah Solo+). I've never been so pleased as I can tour with enormous amounts of kit and cider, kids, dogs etc and once I had a mild fantasy about canoeing with my bike in the front so I could tow the boat home on a cart.

Also I found the 'art' of mastering many different 'j' strokes is one of the most satisfying things. Riding a bike is kids's play! Canoeing gives me a feeling of going back to ancestral roots and doing things slowly and quietly like the old people.

Wenonah are sold on the UK and are beautiful craft. I have heard that red canoes are faster than green ones, but as I have a green one that may be open for debate...hc
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Thanks everyone for your input.I'm giving it a good coat of thinking,especially about a course,I'll let you how we get on.
W H Auden