SMIDSY........is alive and well and living near you

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
661-Pete

Re: SMIDSY........is alive and well and living near you

Post by 661-Pete »

Geoff.D wrote:Makes me even more amazed at how the TdF riders pick themselves up time and again after having slid down the road.
They're a good deal younger than you and me (and plenty of others here)! Anyway good luck with your claim.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
rabmania

Post by rabmania »

Who am I to say? But I reckon your bank account should be several thousand pounds better off once the CTC legals get going. You won't get legal redress, so take it.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Geoff.D wrote:Again, thanks for the good wishes. I'm OK, and not suffering the stiffness I expected. The most awkward/painful spot is the gravel rash/lacerations on my right hip/buttock. Makes me even more amazed at how the TdF riders pick themselves up time and again after having slid down the road.

Anyhow, I've been back to the site today and taken some photos and measurements. There is a clear sight line of 250m before the point of impact. If the driver had been unsighted for (at least) that distance, I would have thought she would have been able to slow adequately, with due regard to traffic behind. Afterall, how do we cope with pedestrians stepping onto a zebra crossing, quite legally, at a distance of 250m. To remain unsighted for that length of time (about 11 secs at the reported 40mph) seems to me to be quite careless.

Had she been intermittently unsighted, then what's she doing not seeing me?

I've decided that I'm not particularly interested in a personal injury claim, but that I will claim for financial loss. However, I'll get in touch with the CTC for advice as to proceeding with a challenge should there be no further action from the authorities. The advice may well be that it's not worth pursuing in pragmatic terms. But, it may be worth it in order to make the point. I'll keep the forum posted.

Personal injury claim is worth making - even if only to make sure that the value of kit is properly accounted for.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

10 years ago I was involved in a minor collision. I asked the CTC solicitors who said they would offer help on personal injuries but only guidance on how to claim for damage and loss of possessions. I decided to leave them for serious cases and just deal with the insurance company myself. The company (Direct Line) were very easy to deal with. As soon as I sent them receipts for parts (about £125) they paid up, and when I felt I'd had enough recovery time from 3 stitches I phoned and they made an offer on the phone, £300 which I accepted. I could certainly have pushed for more but do not want to be part of the compensation culture which I pay for in my own motor insurance premiums. Even if I felt vindictive towards the driver a larger claim from me would not hurt him personally because of course the insurance company pays out and the driver only losses part of any no claims bonus. As for pursuing a police prosecution, in my case I felt it was not sensible.