Scientific Calculator

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
tatanab

Re: Scientific Calculator

Post by tatanab »

rjb wrote:British Thornton. Do they still exist or did they disappear when electronic calculators arrived. Now where's my abacus ! :shock:
image.jpg

That's the one. It is still in my sideboard in its plastic sleeve with schoolboy doodles and instructions.
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

5318008 surely? :wink:
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

My Casio HS-8l does square roots. Does that make it scientific?

It has solar cells and has never needed batteries. I think I got it in the 70s. Expect it to see me out..

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
IanW

Post by IanW »

SMP ("Schools Maths Project" IIRC) tables (i.e. a book of logarithms and trigonometry look-ups) up to O-level

And then calculators allowed for 1/2 of A-level basically for the "mechanics" part of the exam papers.

First scientific calculator was a Casio FX502P in 1980 (for afore-mentioned A-levels). Cost an arm and a leg.

This was a programable calculator which I programmed to, amongs other things, play noughts and crosses.

Still in regular use today, in my workshop, which is too dusty to consider running / ruining a computer.

It was the thing that led me down the treacherous path in to software development.
IanW

Post by IanW »

P.S. Any calculator whose result of "1 + 2 x 3" is "9" gets thrown into the bin as not being a "scientific" calculator.
The only permissible correct answer is "7".
IanW

Post by IanW »

P.P.S. I prefer "58008618" :wink:
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

IanW wrote:P.S. Any calculator whose result of "1 + 2 x 3" is "9" gets thrown into the bin as not being a "scientific" calculator.
The only permissible correct answer is "7".

It is amazing how few people remember that from school. We once embarrassed our French teacher at the start of our high school lives when he set us some simple maths problems to do (the catch being that the questions and your answers were to be in French). After handing back half of the class' work commenting on how they obviously weren't listening in maths some brave soul pointed out that maybe he had forgotten the maths he was taught. To his credit he did check with one of the maths teachers and apologised during the next lesson to those he'd criticised. Then, without hesitation, he criticised those who hadn't followed the rule and told them they obviously weren't listening in maths! :lol:
JJF

Post by JJF »

I have a slide rule. In getting it out to remind myself what it looked like I discovered that in its box there is an instruction booklet that cost 9d.
I also have book of Log tables with my military number stamped on it.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

JJF wrote:I have a slide rule.

And if you can't find it or for others who don't have a slide rule any more, modern technology to the rescue (and it works - drag the bits to where need them to be ...)
http://www.antiquark.com/sliderule/sim/n3t/virtual-n3-t.html

Ian
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

My scientific calculator hasn't been used in absolutely years.
Even my Garmin will do scientific calculator functions let alone my iPad and computer. What do I need my calculator for?
Mick F. Cornwall
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Mick F wrote:My scientific calculator hasn't been used in absolutely years.
Even my Garmin will do scientific calculator functions let alone my iPad and computer. What do I need my calculator for?

Dunno, but I use a calculator quite a bit for working out budgets for various things. Just lately it was working the projected cost of lists of new clothes I need because I have lost so much weight. I usually use the one on my tablet or phone, sometimes the one on the PC, and sometimes my little solar one. Nothing complicated or scientific though. Anyway, as for you I suppose there is pride of ownership? :D

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Mick F wrote:My scientific calculator hasn't been used in absolutely years.

You obviously don't need one.

I have one right here beside my computer. It's more functional than a Garmin (and easier to use), doesn't need me to go looking for the app and doesn't occupy screen real-estate like my computer and doesn't occupy desk real estate like my iPad.

They all have their uses mind.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Psamathe wrote:

And if you can't find it or for others who don't have a slide rule any more, modern technology to the rescue (and it works - drag the bits to where need them to be ...)

Ian

Ooh, that's lovely 8)
"42"
profpointy

Post by profpointy »

squeaker wrote:
Psamathe wrote:

Ian

brilliant - love it !

thanks
blackbike

Post by blackbike »

rjb wrote:British Thornton. Do they still exist or did they disappear when electronic calculators arrived. Now where's my abacus ! :shock:
The attachment image.jpg is no longer available

I've got that slide rule and its grey plastic case and instruction booklet. We were recommended to buy them for maths lessons at school in 1972, just before the age of calculators.

Her is a web pic of my first scientific calculator which I've still got in the loft at my dad's. It cost me £29.99 in Oct 1976 and I bought it the day before I went to university.

Rockwell44RD_1_b.jpg