fm v DAB

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
coffeedrinkerUK

fm v DAB

Postby coffeedrinkerUK » 27 Oct 2014, 3:20pm

It all seems to have gone quiet on the question of = Does anybody know what is happening about the elimination of FM radio wave bands and the total proposed take over/coverage of DAB. ?

fossala

Re: fm v DAB

Postby fossala » 27 Oct 2014, 3:24pm

At work we can only get Radio 1/2/3/4/4extra/5live/6music/bbc asian. All other DAB channels don't work :x

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 27 Oct 2014, 3:58pm

Last time we tried DAB here, we could hardly get anything. We took the radio back to the shop and got our money back.

We listen to the radio on-line, as the FM reception is not very good. Why change to DAB that is even worse?

We're in the market for a new car.
Not one that I've looked at has a DAB radio, just FM/AM/CD/MP3
Mick F. Cornwall

al_yrpal

Postby al_yrpal » 27 Oct 2014, 4:55pm

Our DAB radio in the house picks up lots of stations, no prob. Probably because we live in 'The Promised Land!' But I now often listen to talk radio via Tunein Radio via WiFi on a tablet. Don't think I would go for DAB in the car. I can get radio through Freesat and that goes through my Denon HiFi Amp which is great for listening to music.

This may be useful to Mick....http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/real-wo ... e=20141027

Personally, as we do quite low milage I am not concerned about mpg.

Al
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. What do you do to make a difference?

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 27 Oct 2014, 5:10pm

This is going a bit off topic! :oops:
We've had our Clio since brand new in April 2001, and it's feeling very old fashioned.
My head has been turned by the Fiat 500 with the Twinair 105bhp engine. Zero VED and very good fuel consumption.
A quick fag-packet calculation shows we'd save £50 a month by driving one compared to our 1.6 16v Clio. (£205 pa VED and 33mpg long-term average)

Back on topic.
We've considered a few different Zero VED cars, and not one has a DAB radio.
Why not?
Mick F. Cornwall

661-Pete

Postby 661-Pete » 27 Oct 2014, 5:18pm

Forget FM v DAB - I'm bothered about when and if Radio 4 LW (198 KHz) is going to fizzle out? It's our lifeline when in France - we can just pick it up (quality varies according to time of year, worst in Midsummer) but at least it's British! With no landline, WiFi or 3G, we'd be stuck otherwise (I'm not proficient enough in French to be able to follow French news broadcasts right through). I suppose one day I'll have to get a landline put in and use the rather dodgy broadband...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).

NUKe

Postby NUKe » 27 Oct 2014, 5:25pm

Mick F wrote:This is going a bit off topic! :oops:
We've had our Clio since brand new in April 2001, and it's feeling very old fashioned.
My head has been turned by the Fiat 500 with the Twinair 105bhp engine. Zero VED and very good fuel consumption.
A quick fag-packet calculation shows we'd save £50 a month by driving one compared to our 1.6 16v Clio. (£205 pa VED and 33mpg long-term average)

Back on topic.
We've considered a few different Zero VED cars, and not one has a DAB radio.
Why not?

You will need to factor in the depreciation of the new car, And factor inthe costs of servicing and ownership of both vehicles before you realisticly save anything.
Nice car though if you really want to change. I wouldn't worry about DAB as you live in a fairly rural area you will probably be changing your car again before the coverage is any good.
NUKe

barrym

Postby barrym » 27 Oct 2014, 5:38pm

Mick F wrote:My head has been turned by the Fiat 500 with the Twinair 105bhp engine.

Me too, not specifically the 500 but the Twin air. Its also in the new Panda and Alfa Mito.

But on the economics, I can't justify getting rid of the old Golf:-(, especially with so many desirable bicycles winking at me.

Cheers
Barry
--
Cheers
Barry

bogmyrtle

Postby bogmyrtle » 27 Oct 2014, 5:40pm

Can you carry a bike in it or on it?
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.

TonyR

Postby TonyR » 27 Oct 2014, 5:41pm

I've got a car with FM and DAB. I use FM. DAB in a car is hopeless. Long periods of silence when there is insufficient signal for it to work. My experience of static DAB is not much better and the sound quality is appalling on most stations. Even the high bit rate Radio 3 is not good.

Flinders

Postby Flinders » 27 Oct 2014, 6:06pm

The powers that be keep pushing DAB but as long as manufacturers of new cars are giving it the proverbial finger and a lot of people just aren't interested in changing their house radios (either because coverage is bad or for any other reason) it isn't likely that FM's days are over anytime soon.

Bonefishblues

Postby Bonefishblues » 27 Oct 2014, 7:06pm

...and remember the Twin Air will get nothing like its reported combined mpg (by a wider factor than most cars, I see it oft-reported). Characterful thing, though.

Second owner Leaf turn your head, perhaps?

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 27 Oct 2014, 7:32pm

bogmyrtle wrote:Can you carry a bike in it or on it?
We won't be buying any car unless they put a tow bar on it.
We have a tow bar mounted bike rack, and often use a trailer for utility stuff.
Bonefishblues wrote:...and remember the Twin Air will get nothing like its reported combined mpg (by a wider factor than most cars, I see it oft-reported). Characterful thing, though.

Second owner Leaf turn your head, perhaps?
No.
I would like an electric car, and the Renault Zoe is a better bet then the Leaf.
I've seen the Leaf, and it's way too big.

I cannot believe that the published figures can't be correct(ish). They are - after all - a comparison from one car to the next, and whether you get the absolute figures or not is besides the point. The published figures for our Clio vs the published figures for the 500 TA 105bhp ............. we'll be quids in with respect to running costs.
Flinders wrote:The powers that be keep pushing DAB but as long as manufacturers of new cars are giving it the proverbial finger and a lot of people just aren't interested in changing their house radios (either because coverage is bad or for any other reason) it isn't likely that FM's days are over anytime soon.
That's my take on it too.
Mick F. Cornwall

TonyR

Postby TonyR » 27 Oct 2014, 7:59pm

Mick F wrote:I cannot believe that the published figures can't be correct(ish). They are - after all - a comparison from one car to the next, and whether you get the absolute figures or not is besides the point. The published figures for our Clio vs the published figures for the 500 TA 105bhp ............. we'll be quids in with respect to running costs.

Believe it.

The same report claimed that the more economical a car is to run, on paper, the greater the discrepancy between its theoretical and actual fuel consumption. This means that the official figures can’t even be relied on as an indicator of relative performance.

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/fu ... gures.html

coffeedrinkerUK

Postby coffeedrinkerUK » 27 Oct 2014, 8:10pm

We the British public were told two or three years ago that the government wanted to use the fm and long wave wavebands for other services and we would all be on DAB.
There are a few excellent sound quality fm radios on the market that don't come cheap. I'm cautious about buying one because it could be redundant in time, and yes I do know there are radios that have both. Today looking at what's on the market, i see there is something called DAB+ also what's that.
I'm not sure about cars!