fm v DAB

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
martin biggs

Re: fm v DAB

Postby martin biggs » 28 Oct 2014, 5:29pm

we use 2 Pure DAB units and are really pleased with the performance of them .

as for when and if the swap will ever happens who knows

coffeedrinkerUK

Postby coffeedrinkerUK » 28 Oct 2014, 7:37pm

DAB is duffing down the sound quality by shrinking the signal and that's on a full DAB signal.
I understand that moving around in a car signal loss happens but I cant see the decision of using the wavebands for other services being changed by the car manufacturers, most of which are in other countrys. Anyway is the proposed move still on ?

Psamathe

Postby Psamathe » 28 Oct 2014, 8:32pm

Flinders wrote:Radio 4 is on a downward slide....The Digital Human is embarrassingly awful.

I happened to hear this recently (I was painting and just wanted something to break the silence. And I agree it was dreadful. Episode I heard was about invented languages. I wont be listening to that program again. I wanted something to break the silence ... silence is better.

Ian

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 28 Oct 2014, 8:49pm

I'm up early normally, and early enough for the shipping forecast and Farming Today. The Today Programme is good and often there's something on at 9am to interest me, but by 9:45 I've turned it off. Woman's Hour is dismal, to say the least.

Maybe R4 will be on again by lunchtime, and You and Yours can be either entertaining or horrible, then World at One is on next. From then, it depends if I'm in the mood or not for The Archers and the Afternoon Play, but soon after that, it's off again. Maybe sometimes I'l leave it on as there's a few things sometimes worth listening to.

Mainly, like now, there's silence ..... except for Mrs Mick F clicking away with her knitting needles. :lol:

BTW, we bought a car today. Picking it up later in the week or maybe the weekend. Twinair 0.9L zero VED and with all the bells and whistles. :D
Fiat 500.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall

horizon

Postby horizon » 28 Oct 2014, 9:21pm

Mick F wrote:
BTW, we bought a car today.

:D
Let's just get Brexit done so that we can get on with the important job of re-joining the EU!

Edwards

Postby Edwards » 29 Oct 2014, 7:17am

Mick did you check if a towing bracket can be fitted? Not all small cars can have them now as they are not rated for them.
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar

francovendee

Postby francovendee » 29 Oct 2014, 8:00am

MicK F, Hope you like the new car. I've been impressed with how the car manufacturers have picked up on the public liking a car that is a little different from the rest on offer.
The success of the new Beetle, new Mini and now the 500 are all proof of this. Designs of yesteryear with modern reliability is a winner and they've all sold in good numbers. Not sure if it'd work with a new Ford Anglia though. It always looked horrible in my eyes but I'm sure some may have loved it's shape.

cjchambers

Postby cjchambers » 29 Oct 2014, 8:07am

Edwards wrote:Mick did you check if a towing bracket can be fitted? Not all small cars can have them now as they are not rated for them.

The 0.9L Fiat 500 is rated 440kg for unbraked and 830kg for braked.

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 29 Oct 2014, 8:42am

Yes, we can get a towbar. The place where we're buying the 500 can organise it, but we've decided not to fit one for the time being. The cost will be £200+ so we'll budget for it (probably after Christmas) instead of getting it now.

Nice little car, 13,000 miles from new, first registered in Sept 2011. We're calling her "Rosa". The 500's are quirky and chic, and a bit of a head turner. She has Bluetooth, will take MP3, has auto climate control, and a 85bhp turbo engine ....... but no DAB facility.

Also, you can fit a memory stick in the USB socket and it records your driving style. You then upload the info into your computer via free software. http://www.fiat.com/com/PublishingImage ... efault.htm
Rosa 1.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall

Bonefishblues

Postby Bonefishblues » 29 Oct 2014, 9:05am

Characterful little car - I'll be interested to see how you go on fuel consumption, do report back :)

Bonefishblues

Postby Bonefishblues » 29 Oct 2014, 9:30am

francovendee wrote:MicK F, Hope you like the new car. I've been impressed with how the car manufacturers have picked up on the public liking a car that is a little different from the rest on offer.
The success of the new Beetle, new Mini and now the 500 are all proof of this. Designs of yesteryear with modern reliability is a winner and they've all sold in good numbers.

Some might say it's rather a poverty of imagination to have to go into your back catalogue :lol:

squeaker

Postby squeaker » 29 Oct 2014, 9:43am

Bonefishblues wrote:Some might say it's rather a poverty of imagination to have to go into your back catalogue :lol:
+1, though the only connection between the real Mini and the current BMW bloatwagon is the name (and the factory?) :roll:
"42"

NUKe

Postby NUKe » 29 Oct 2014, 9:48am

Edwards wrote:Mick did you check if a towing bracket can be fitted? Not all small cars can have them now as they are not rated for them.

He's not going to tow it behind his Raliegh chopper is he ? :o ( sorry Edwards, couldn't resist)
NUKe

squeaker

Postby squeaker » 29 Oct 2014, 11:50am

cjchambers wrote:

The 0.9L Fiat 500 is rated 440kg for unbraked and 830kg for braked.

'Bravo' to FIAT for that: too many 'small' cars seem to omit a (legal) towing option, IMHO.
"42"

squeaker

Postby squeaker » 29 Oct 2014, 12:00pm

Mick F wrote:BTW, we bought a car today. Picking it up later in the week or maybe the weekend. Twinair 0.9L zero VED and with all the bells and whistles. :D
The attachment Fiat 500.jpg is no longer available

Oooh: and you can get a matching bike (not to mention the shirts) :roll: :lol:
Image Attachments
500bike.jpg
"42"