Microchips

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Microchips

Post by Mick F »

We've had one of our cats microchipped.
He was a stray and although happy here, if he strays again it would be possible to identify him.

I was wondering, would I - personally - be happy to be chipped?
I think I would.
If in the future, I become lost and confused ....... or drunk ...... someone could identify me and take me home. :D

Should we chip babies shortly after birth?
Mick F. Cornwall
NUKe

Re: Microchips

Post by NUKe »

NUKe

Post by [XAP]Bob »

As responsible servants we have had our masters are chipped - the catflap only lets them in if it can read the chip.

We have alternatives - maybe a wristband...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
beardy

Post by beardy »

I thought you were all being tracked by your mobile phones.

As am I but it appears I have been sat on a shelf for the last month. :lol:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

NUKe wrote:1984
Yes, but as has been said, mobile phones track your movements.

Credit/debit cards too, plus loyalty cards. They all paint a picture of where you are, who you are and where you've been.
You need a passport to travel abroad, and that too is tracked. Car numberplate recognition, CCTV in towns and cities and shops and banks and schools and factories. We are tracked whether we like it or not.

Microchipping is a step too far?
Dunno really, but I wouldn't mind. I feel it's a good idea and has much to commend it, and at least you can be identified if you unfortunately get taken to hospital or even squidged under a lorry.
Mick F. Cornwall
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Mick F wrote:
NUKe wrote:1984
Yes, but as has been said, mobile phones track your movements.

Credit/debit cards too, plus loyalty cards. They all paint a picture of where you are, who you are and where you've been.
You need a passport to travel abroad, and that too is tracked. Car numberplate recognition, CCTV in towns and cities and shops and banks and schools and factories. We are tracked whether we like it or not.

Microchipping is a step too far?
Dunno really, but I wouldn't mind. I feel it's a good idea and has much to commend it, and at least you can be identified if you unfortunately get taken to hospital or even squidged under a lorry.

Although I agree with the "1984" comment, in practice the reading distance of the chips is relatively short range so currently credit cards/mobile phones, numberplate recognition provide far better tracking.

However, it would not take too long for shops to install door readers so they start recording who visits, when and link that to what you do in-store. Then the government would make it a legal requirement for stores (and other readers) to download their data to a central government database (to prevent all this terrorism ...). Then we would get the laws making it illegal to wear specifically designed metal bracelets (which would undoubtedly appear to prevent/limit readers - bit like the wallets for your credit cards that screen and prevent contactless payments. etc. etc.

So I don't have a problem with being chipped; just how governments and companies would then extend the functionality to create the 1984 society. And they are already doing that.

Ian
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Psamathe wrote:And they are already doing that.
Yup.

We filled up with petrol today at the local supermarket.
No doubt I was filmed operating the pump etc, and no doubt Mrs Mick F was filmed going to pay.
They know our car reg number, they know who payed the bill via bank account records, they know what we look like, and it's a small step to find out our credit history and our history in general.
Mick F. Cornwall
Erudin

Post by Erudin »

PDQ

Post by PDQ »

Guess it depends on whose in power and whether/if you trust them.
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

Fingerprints.
Retinas.
Faces.
Deportment.

All can be used to identify and track us. Why use chips?
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

And bicycle registration...
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

mrjemm wrote:Fingerprints.
Retinas.
Faces.
Deportment.

All can be used to identify and track us. Why use chips?

Good point.

Perhaps someone should have recorded the retinas of our cat instead of chipping him.
Mick F. Cornwall
skicat

Post by skicat »

Mick F wrote:Perhaps someone should have recorded the retinas of our cat instead of chipping him.

If your cat is anything like ours, her eyes are shut for about 23.5 hours a day so recording the retinas would be a non-starter.
The hurrier I go, the behinder I get
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

We have had both brand of microchip cat flap, both rubbish and died. Had many issues with sureflap at last house and now have a pet porte that won't lock. Nice when working though...
Penfolds11

Post by Penfolds11 »

[quote="Psamathe"]However, it would not take too long for shops to install door readers so they start recording who visits, when and link that to what you do in-store. Then the government would make it a legal requirement for stores (and other readers) to download their data to a central government database (to prevent all this terrorism ...). /quote]

There is already development in place to track shoppers as they walk past a shop and to send adverts to their mobile phones in an attempt to encourage that shopper to visit said business.

http://www.channel4.com/news/pop-up-ads-coming-to-your-phone-thanks-to-government-cash