Daylight

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Daylight

Post by Mick F »

Just about smack on 08:00.
Outside it's just getting light enough to see to just about read the proverbial newspaper, though streetlights are still on and if I were to go for a ride now, I'd need good lights, or walking I'd need a torch.

Some folk are wanting the abolishment of GMT in the winter, and have BST instead.

Why?
Surely, this daylight level now wouldn't be there until 09:00 :shock: :shock:
Goodness knows what it would be like Up North.
Mick F. Cornwall
Audax67

Re: Daylight

Post by Audax67 »

Call me Goodness (no, don't). I worked between Edinburgh and Glasgow during the Heath-period Winter of Discontent when they kept BST all year long and called it British Standard Time. Getting into the office while it was still pitch dark outside was horrible, especially since when we left the office it was already dark again. It was like living in Hell.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Because we'd still be going to work in the dark, but at least the kids would be able to see their way home.

Personally I'd like GMT all through the year, and look at "normal working hours" as things that can change. Maybe we start school at 8am in Summer and 9 in winter?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

It's black upt North Mick [emoji3]. Even the hens don't want to come out at 8:00.
Usually anyone who wants to muck about with time lives or works in a city. I've always altered my working day to suit the light.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Mick F wrote:Just about smack on 08:00.
Outside it's just getting light enough to see to just about read the proverbial newspaper, though streetlights are still on and if I were to go for a ride now, I'd need good lights, or walking I'd need a torch.

Some folk are wanting the abolishment of GMT in the winter, and have BST instead.

Why?
Surely, this daylight level now wouldn't be there until 09:00 :shock: :shock:
Goodness knows what it would be like Up North.

But these days I have to plan to be home from my ride by 15:00 (if it's an overcast day). So switch to BST throughout the year and I get an extra hour I can enjoy daylight later in the day rather than earlier in the day.

Personally I'd be in favour of BST throughout the entire year.

Ian
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

In these electronic ages it's not beyond the wit of man to have clocks that continually adjust a few minutes a day so that it's always going dark at about 10 at night. :wink:

That would be brilliant, the one thing that I like about summer is that there seems to be time on an evening to do stuff, in winter it always feels like bedtime as soon as you've had your tea...
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

What Bob says.

I would prefer to not have the clocks change at all, and it would make sense for us to stick to GMT, which I believe to be our 'standard', while as the name suggests, BST is a seasonal 'adjustment'. However... I prefer to have light in the evenings as when home I live by the clock of society and miss out on the morning light, and my day is cut short by the arrival of darkness. For this reason, I'd like the idea of businesses, etc. (school of little relevance to me, bar the school run next door) adjusting to make most of the daylight, with consideration to people's lives outside work.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Is this one of the results of retailers starting the Christmas promotions earlier every year? Like hot-cross buns in December: a complaint about BST months before the clocks go forward. What's next? The annual reviews of bike lamps starting to appear in April?

PS To try to make sure this runs and runs, if you do venture out before noon, make sure you wear extra hi-viz togs. I expect that this will be one of the issues that only English MP's will be allowed to vote on. What's happening about independence for Cornwall.? If they had their own parliament, they could set the clocks to whatever time they liked.
Last edited by thirdcrank on 19 Dec 2014, 10:36am, edited 1 time in total.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Mick F wrote:Just about smack on 08:00.

A provincial title?

Yep, slow morning, you're right :)
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

[XAP]Bob wrote:Maybe we start school at 8am in Summer and 9 in winter?
The kids start school at 9am now, but they're walking to the bus at soon after 8am whilst it's still dark-ish. They'd have to start at 10am to be ok, but what time would they finish?

Daylight seems to be about 8:30 now here, and twilight about 4:30pm. This makes 8hrs maximum of useable daylight. The further north you go, the lower the useable daylight span, so we're quite lucky being so far south.

I'd be interested to here what other members have for daylight spans.
Perhaps Inverness has only 4hrs?
Mick F. Cornwall
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

That's the point - you can't suit everyone but most importantly there are no more hours in the day however you move the clocks.

So why bother - use time as a nice scaffold to hang your activities. We can predict when the sun will rise and set, so we can plan that this half term we'll start school at 9:30...
Most workers and offices would benefit from a slightly smeared start/end time of the day.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
dellwood33

Post by dellwood33 »

Newcastle this morning was a 8.30 sunrise & it will be getting dark at 3.30pm, so an effective daylight period of about 7 hours or so.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

8:45-3:25 in aberdeen

6:40 "daylight"
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Numbers,people complain about numbers :?
When a retired person complains about numbers things are getting bad.

MickF pretend it's a different number :wink:

[XAP]Bob wrote:Personally I'd like GMT all through the year, and look at "normal working hours" as things that can change. Maybe we start school at 8am in Summer and 9 in winter?

Spot on,what's the problem?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Look up the times here. http://www.timeanddate.com/sun/uk/reading

I would love England to adopt Continental time and was disappointed when the Scots voted to stay. I love long summer evenings and hate sundown at 4pm. Changing to Continental time would be the greatest improvement in quality of life IMO.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......