Coincidences

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
reohn2

Re: Coincidences

Post by reohn2 »

KTHSullivan wrote:All of the front doors along my street open inwards; is this a glitch in the matrix or is that deja vu, I new I was going to say deja vu: Spooky :?

Not that deja vu again! :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

KTHSullivan wrote:Quotidian certainly, but is it chance or design? Are doors opening the same way a reflection of our limited perception of reality in a multidimensional space time universe and as a consequence do the doors really exist. Are coincidences a deep seated desire to see patterns where they might not exist. Does this forum exist? Or do we think it just does.

Do you think I have too much coffee in the morning :?

I think you probably do,but then again do I think?
And is belief in coffee and or doors real,imagined or dreamed about or is the dream reality and this the dream preventing us from seeing the dream state for what it truly is,reality?

PS,no coffee was consumed before typing this post,that is I don't this so,and if it was I dreamt it,or it could be that I......... ......need to sleep now for a clearer understanding of it all......
Last edited by reohn2 on 23 Feb 2018, 11:10am, edited 1 time in total.
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
KTHSullivan wrote:Quotidian certainly, but is it chance or design? Are doors opening the same way a reflection of our limited perception of reality in a multidimensional space time universe and as a consequence do the doors really exist. Are coincidences a deep seated desire to see patterns where they might not exist. Does this forum exist? Or do we think it just does.

Do you think I have too much coffee in the morning :?

In Pontypandy the houses give directly on to the pavement so the doors have to open inwards
I know Pontypandy exists, but it was moved to the coast so Sam Tan could do ever more daring rescues
Elvis Cridlington is my favourite I think, but he did not complete his training so Penny has to "bale" him out
Penmaenmawr am byth!

Precisely,in exactitude!
W H Auden
KTHSullivan

Post by KTHSullivan »

I think that Heisenberg could have been right! Has Pontypandy really been moved :shock:
Just remember, when you’re over the hill, you begin to pick up speed. :lol:
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

KTHSullivan wrote:I think that Heisenberg could have been right! Has Pontypandy really been moved :shock:

Yes, it started as PONTY pool + Tony PANDY but it was moved, looks just like Penmaenmawr now
Great for learning Welsh, just select English subtitles :D

Seriously, childrens books and films are maybe the best way to learn a new language, S4C has plenty of them in the bore da, good morning
Cymru am byth!

Sam Tan is great, he really knows all about "safety", he should join these fora
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
KTHSullivan

Post by KTHSullivan »

Many years ago living in S.Wales as a student, I arrived home one evening having been out with a few chumingtons for a libation. As one does I reached for the cornflakes (Other breakfast cereals are available) and turned on the "plug in drug"; I quickly realised I was so "confused" that I could not understand either the speech as broadcast, or indeed the subtitles provide by S4C (Sianel Pedwar Cymru). I quickly decide that I had enjoyed myself too much with the delights of Brains beer and retired to my somewhat spinning bed. The following (admittedly) late morning/early afternoon I decamped to the S.U. building to have intercourse (not in the biblical sense) with my now, in a relativistic sense sober cohort and read the previous days "Western Mail". It appeared that S4C (see above) were showing a polish surrealist film entitled the "The Hourglass Sanatorium" with Welsh subtitles! But during that brief period the previous evening I seriously considered that my wave function had in fact collapsed and I was slipping into a alternative reality. Do you think that this was a coincidence? As the week before I was in Penmaenmawr. :shock:
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

KTHSullivan wrote:Many years ago living in S.Wales as a student, . . . . . . .

Could very well have been :lol: :lol: :lol:
W H Auden
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

KTHSullivan wrote:Many years ago living in S.Wales as a student, I arrived home one evening having been out with a few chumingtons for a libation. As one does I reached for the cornflakes (Other breakfast cereals are available) and turned on the "plug in drug"; I quickly realised I was so "confused" that I could not understand either the speech as broadcast, or indeed the subtitles provide by S4C (Sianel Pedwar Cymru). I quickly decide that I had enjoyed myself too much with the delights of Brains beer and retired to my somewhat spinning bed. The following (admittedly) late morning/early afternoon I decamped to the S.U. building to have intercourse (not in the biblical sense) with my now, in a relativistic sense sober cohort and read the previous days "Western Mail". It appeared that S4C (see above) were showing a polish surrealist film entitled the "The Hourglass Sanatorium" with Welsh subtitles! But during that brief period the previous evening I seriously considered that my wave function had in fact collapsed and I was slipping into a alternative reality. Do you think that this was a coincidence? As the week before I was in Penmaenmawr. :shock:

Did it shock you into staying on the straight and narrow? Could have suited me, there are a lot of Polish people here, +1
Do you remember what you were doing in pen back then?
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

Mrs. Copy spent a few childhood holidays in Penmaenmawr (over 45 years ago).
Last year we were up in the area and we decided to see if we could find the B&B she stayed at.
The first day we couldn't find it but that night she recalled that on returning from playing on the beach, she could see the quarry clock on the way back to the B&B.
The next day we tried to find it again and following the directions from the beach (and going underneath the new by-pass) she felt we were heading in the right direction.
After clambering up the steep hill, we came upon a house and she said "this is it!"
She was so delighted to find it that I said I'd take a photograph of it and he we could show it to her brothers and sisters.
As I was doing so, a lady came out of the house with a young girl and looked at me suspiciously (Mrs Copy was now hiding around the corner).
I explained what I was doing and that Mrs. C had stayed here as a child.
The lady then said that it was originally her grandmother's house and had run it as a B&B in the 60's and 70's.
I shouted to Mrs.C that it was OK to come out from hiding and when they all got chatting, it turned out that Mrs. C had met this lady there when she was a small child visiting her grandmother.
Was it a coincidence that she came out of the house at the exact time we were there, or just another fortunate meeting in this small world of ours?
A happy occurrence though. :D
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

fausto copy wrote:Mrs. Copy spent a few childhood holidays in Penmaenmawr (over 45 years ago).
Last year we were up in the area and we decided to see if we could find the B&B she stayed at.
The first day we couldn't find it but that night she recalled that on returning from playing on the beach, she could see the quarry clock on the way back to the B&B.
The next day we tried to find it again and following the directions from the beach (and going underneath the new by-pass) she felt we were heading in the right direction.
After clambering up the steep hill,..

We love Penmaenmawr, thanks for the story
One may climb up through the quarry, there is a public path and some old levels up high
'My Whole World' by Anne Forrest is a very interesting book about childhood in Pen
KTHSullivan

Post by KTHSullivan »

Do you remember what you were doing in pen back then?

Waiting for a train in the ******* rain to take me back to Cardiff. Just done a 2 day walk across the Carneddau in the ******* rain. I remember when I got back to Cardiff it was raining.
pwa

Post by pwa »

The most striking and sad coincidence of my life occurred when I was about 20. I was a student in Leeds and my flat was in Headingley. At the time the so-called Yorkshire Ripper was murdering women on a regular basis, and the news was full of it. One evening I went for swift couple of pints at a pub with a few friends and on the way back we discussed what we would do if we heard a scream. Would we have the courage to go to help. We passed a vacant building plot covered with scrub and I pointed that out as an example. Would I be able to find the courage to rush in there, in the dark, if we heard a scream? Idle banter, of course.

But some months later I watched with horror as news of the latest Ripper killing came onto a TV screen, and the pictures were of that same scrubby patch of ground! I know it was coincidence, not premonition, but it confused me for a while.

The young woman who died there was not a <i>[derogatory word removed]</i>, unlike some earlier victims, and showed that all women were at risk.

(The derogatory word removed was the standard dictionary word for a person who provides sexual services in exchange for money, not a judgemental alternative.)
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

Cyril Haearn wrote:We love Penmaenmawr, thanks for the story
One may climb up through the quarry, there is a public path and some old levels up high
'My Whole World' by Anne Forrest is a very interesting book about childhood in Pen

Thanks for that. I've ordered a copy for you know who.
Abradable Chin

Post by Abradable Chin »

meic wrote: it happens because there are thousands of connections that go on each day but we only notice the ones that involve a coincidence and fail to notice when there isnt

That's pseudo-science, which is exactly what Rupert Sheldrake is accused of. You've explained an observation (that people experience a small but non-zero number of improbable coincidences in their lives) by assuming that the large number of events occurring to people is sufficiently large so as to make at least one remotely probable event probable. Has it been measured? Maybe, but it would be difficult.
Rupert Sheldrake came up with a hypothesis, called morphic resonance...that similar things are connected despite distances in space, and separation across time. He cites a few examples of it.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I'm not sure that's a fair summary of what meic was saying, as you seem to imply it included some inevitability in people's experience of a small number of coincidences, when all (I think) he was saying is that coincidences are nothing more than that: coincidences. In other circumstances, I'm sure meic would speak for himself but he's not the regular poster he once was.