Coincidences

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Vorpal

Re: Coincidences

Post by Vorpal »

I've never had coincidences with things, but I do with people.

I once ran into my cousin at an airport 400 miles from I lived and 2000 miles from he lived. Neither of us knew that the other was travelling. It was a very large international airport, so the chances of us being int he same place at the same time were vanishingly small. And if either of us had been a few seconds later or earlier, we certainly would have missed one another.

I ran into someone I knew from the USA in Australia.

Once when I was hiring, one of the people who answered the ad (general ad, published by my company, my name wasn't on it) was someone whom I knew from another country and another company.

I bumped into a dear friend in London once, when we were both visiting. I was living in Essex at the time, so it wasn't so strange that I was in London, but she was living in California. She hadn't planned on visiting London. She was supposed to change planes there, but there were some travel delays, so the airline put her up in a hotel for the night & I ran into her at Paddington. We had a very pleasant meal together.

Other things like that have happened, but those were probably the most remarkable.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Vorpal wrote:I've never had coincidences with things, but I do with people.

I once ran into my cousin at an airport 400 miles from I lived and 2000 miles from he lived. Neither of us knew that the other was travelling. It was a very large international airport, so the chances of us being int he same place at the same time were vanishingly small. And if either of us had been a few seconds later or earlier, we certainly would have missed one another.

I ran into someone I knew from the USA in Australia.

Once when I was hiring, one of the people who answered the ad (general ad, published by my company, my name wasn't on it) was someone whom I knew from another country and another company.

I bumped into a dear friend in London once, when we were both visiting. I was living in Essex at the time, so it wasn't so strange that I was in London, but she was living in California. She hadn't planned on visiting London. She was supposed to change planes there, but there were some travel delays, so the airline put her up in a hotel for the night & I ran into her at Paddington. We had a very pleasant meal together.

Other things like that have happened, but those were probably the most remarkable.

Think of the hundreds of journeys where you did not meet anyone
Thing is, like people do like things, although one can communicate with millions of people one chooses people like oneself
I could hardly imagine knowing anyone who voted to leave the EU
Likewise, I know many people here but they all like cycling, books, railways, or do they? :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Some years ago my younger son was in the queue for an entry visa at the Cambodian border and the next person in the queue was a neighbour from two doors away down the street. They were travelling entirely independently of each other to the extent that neither knew the other was travelling anywhere.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Don't know if this counts as a coincidence - or a supernatural event - or a 'communication' - or what.... Decide for yourself.

Scene: student antics 50 years ago. Some friends and I are messing around with a Ouija board (and several bottles of plonk). Well, not a 'proper' Ouija, an improvisation with an upturned wineglass on a smooth table. But it worked...

As the evening gets more and more 'lubricated', someone chimes in with "Who'll win the Derby?" (this must have been a few days before the event). Out pours a meaningless stream of gobbledygook. But we faithfully copy down the letters - and I pocket the piece of paper. :twisted:

On the day itself, I grab a newspaper and go through the names of the runners, attempting to do a 'sliding match' against my sequence of random letters. One of the horses does a three-letter match. I know nothing whatever about horse-racing, but I gather that this horse is a rank outsider priced at 25-1.

That evening I watch the news. Said horse came second. If I'd plonked all my hard-earned on it, each-way, I'd have made a packet....

I hasten to add this disclaimer: I have never, ever, put money on a horse. I don't gamble on principle. Ah well.... :(
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

661-Pete wrote:That evening I watch the news. Said horse came second.

Why not first?

It's a poor or cruel ghost that offers such "second rate" information...
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

kwackers wrote:Why not first?

It's a poor or cruel ghost that offers such "second rate" information...

I don't know either. Perhaps it was a second-rate ghost.... :shock:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Took a bus today, one way, 10 minutes, first bus trip for years, except on holiday
(I walked the other way, 90 minutes :wink:)
Bought a ticket for €3,20. At the next stop two inspectors got on to check the tickets!
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Took a bus today, one way, 10 minutes, first bus trip for years, except on holiday
Bought a ticket for €3,20. At the next stop two inspectors got on to check the tickets!

Do the bus company not trust one inspector to do he job on their own :shock:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

reohn2 wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Took a bus today, one way, 10 minutes, first bus trip for years, except on holiday

No idea, that was at lunchtime in the suburbs, not many drunks or football fans about, but people caught without a ticket can get nasty anytime
Inspectors are very rare in my experience
Maybe travel could be free as discussed elsewhere, then the inspectors could claim the dole :?
rjb

Post by rjb »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

No idea, that was at lunchtime in the suburbs, not many drunks or football fans about, but people caught without a ticket can get nasty anytime
Inspectors are very rare in my experience
Maybe travel could be free as discussed elsewhere, then the inspectors could claim the dole :?

Thats Angela's boys for you. :lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
RickH

Post by RickH »

reohn2 wrote:

When I did part of a commute using the Manchester Metrolink down to Altrincham, every so often there would be a posse of inspectors get on to check tickets - enough of them to check everybody on board between one stop & the next. I guess it made it harder to avoid them if you didn't have a ticket.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
KTHSullivan

Post by KTHSullivan »

All of the front doors along my street open inwards; is this a glitch in the matrix or is that deja vu, I new I was going to say deja vu: Spooky :?
Just remember, when you’re over the hill, you begin to pick up speed. :lol:
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

KTHSullivan wrote:All of the front doors along my street open inwards; is this a glitch in the matrix or is that deja vu, I new I was going to say deja vu: Spooky :?

Is that not normal?
KTHSullivan

Post by KTHSullivan »

Quotidian certainly, but is it chance or design? Are doors opening the same way a reflection of our limited perception of reality in a multidimensional space time universe and as a consequence do the doors really exist. Are coincidences a deep seated desire to see patterns where they might not exist. Does this forum exist? Or do we think it just does.

Do you think I have too much coffee in the morning :?
Just remember, when you’re over the hill, you begin to pick up speed. :lol:
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

KTHSullivan wrote:Quotidian certainly, but is it chance or design? Are doors opening the same way a reflection of our limited perception of reality in a multidimensional space time universe and as a consequence do the doors really exist. Are coincidences a deep seated desire to see patterns where they might not exist. Does this forum exist? Or do we think it just does.

Do you think I have too much coffee in the morning :?

In Pontypandy the houses give directly on to the pavement so the doors have to open inwards
I know Pontypandy exists, but it was moved to the coast so Sam Tan could do ever more daring rescues
Elvis Cridlington is my favourite I think, but he did not complete his training so Penny has to "bale" him out
Penmaenmawr am byth!