Facebook

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
[XAP]Bob

Re: Facebook

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Haven't logged into my FB account for nearly a year, still connect to the chat service via a proper jabber client on my work PC though - useful contact list...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I like Facebook. I have to admit I get tired of of stupid memes and pushy politics on there. But it's a good way for us to communicate with family and friends around the world. I can post pictures of the kids, and things we do for grandparents, etc. to see. Most of the contact between my children and their kin is via the phone and computer, so it's important to us.

I also used Facebook to find clubs to join and things of interest in the area when we moved a few years ago.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

Facebook is like TV, radio, magazines or radio most of it is rubbish but its worth keeping for the 1 or 2 programmes a week, or a month that you enjoy

At the moment it sounds like you haven't learnt to use the technology in a way that works for you. At the moment you are doing the TV equivalent of watching every programme instead of the ones you enjoy

Unfollow (not unfriend) the friends that annoy you or post too much, select how much you want to know about them - maybe just "life events", find some pages that you "like" based on your interests and don't feel compelled to go on there when you don't want to

Don't throw the TV away because you dont like Big Brother or I'm Celebrity get me out of here, you might miss a great film or documentary just don't watch the dross
gaz

Post by gaz »

kwackers wrote:... Sure you could do the same stuff using forums like this (although IMO timeline views are much better for that sort of thing) but people don't and where they have the number of members is often in the 1's. At least on Facebook everything is under "one roof" and so easy to find. ...

My local CTC memebr group set up a forum last summer. Very few people signed up, even fewer posted. Late Autumn they launched a Facebook group.

I don't do Facebook but I did recognise the decision as a death knell for their forum and wiped my own account.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Penfolds11

Post by Penfolds11 »

I've delved into Facebook and view it, much like the OP, as a focal point for sanctimonious narcissism. There is also growing evidence that Facebook is a security threat based on the amount of persona information people release on it. Privacy is not as secure as FB would like us to believe: Which? managed to get a credit card issued in the name of a staff volunteer without their involvement (but with their consent) based on information found within their FB pages.

I have had a twitter account for a couple of years yet have never sent a tweet; however I see it as a useful news-gathering device.

I despair of the decline in verbal communication skills in modern society and blame it, righty or wrongly, on the proliferation of online social media. Of course, I also need a lot more than 140 characters to put my views across so Twitter isn't much good for people like me! :wink:

Many love FB and/or tweeting, I don't. 8)
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

mnichols wrote:Facebook is like TV, radio, magazines or radio most of it is rubbish but its worth keeping for the 1 or 2 programmes a week, or a month that you enjoy

At the moment it sounds like you haven't learnt to use the technology in a way that works for you. At the moment you are doing the TV equivalent of watching every programme instead of the ones you enjoy

Unfollow (not unfriend) the friends that annoy you or post too much, select how much you want to know about them - maybe just "life events", find some pages that you "like" based on your interests and don't feel compelled to go on there when you don't want to

Don't throw the TV away because you dont like Big Brother or I'm Celebrity get me out of here, you might miss a great film or documentary just don't watch the dross

+1
I use it. Not a lot, but I do like to keep up with whatever my family and few friends are doing.
The bike club has a group page which since it's launch, has remained friendly and civilised. Reminders for club meets and so on are easier for everyone to follow and there's a fair bit of banter that keeps most of us entertained.
Keeping your friends list small helps to keep endless amounts of c**p spilling into your view and setting privacy settings properly keeps even more c**p out. As for worries about your personal data and information being open to abuse, people can only interfere with what you put on the internet. If I don't want something shared, I don't share or upload it. Duh!
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
Flite

Post by Flite »

-
tried to stop them either by simply looking in settings (notifications -> email

Thanks Kwackers , found that now
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

I have a Facebook thing so that I do not have to send our son the "You dead yet" texts. Very few others are on my list and I do not put much on there.

As for personal details according to my personal details I am over 100 years old yet they are still trying to set me up with "Young free and single girls".
So much for targeting advertising and the snooping Cookies (no I have never looked at and of they young women on the internet)
I am not a FB fan.
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
Vinko

Post by Vinko »

Some interesting thoughts here. Thank you.

"like" :D

I am actually finding it difficult to leave Facebook (not in terms of the decision, but in terms of wiping and closing the account). I hadn't realised I had put so much up on there, quite shocked how much I had got pulled into it and so deleting it is going take some time. Having looked at the deactivation/delete account part, it seems that deleting everything myself first is actually the best option.

I have realised however that there are some interesting things on there, the odd page and a few "groups". So I might look at having another account in a false name or even my own name again (it is a common name and if I don't have any other data on there or if that is nonsense then surely I will get left alone :shock: )and using it just to access those things and not post anything. I understand you can turn off the bit to allow "friend requests", does anyone know if you can do the same about removing the "message service" as that bit has annoyed me before.

Also, does anyone know if you can have a Facebook account and have no "friends" on there at all? I realise how daft that sounds, but is something I am thinking of just to access some of the other bits...... I guess there is one way to find out!

(Edwards - How do I turn ON the bit where I get "young, free and single girls" to contact me? Please "share" :lol: )
Colin63

Post by Colin63 »

I like Facebook. I get to follow the accounts of many organisations that interest me, an that keeps me up to date with science, astronomy, cycling and natural history among other things. By playing around and following links I get to discover lots of new things too. I get to have regular contact with people I like but who are on the periphery of my normal social world, and that's nice too. Conversations flow.

You can't dip into Facebook or Twitter to realise their benefits. It's not instant gratification, it's a different way of building relationships and connections and it takes time. My life is richer because of this. It's a good thing.
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

Vinko wrote:
Also, does anyone know if you can have a Facebook account and have no "friends" on there at all? I realise how daft that sounds, but is something I am thinking of just to access some of the other bits......)

If you unfollow your friends its the same thing, but without the potential of hurting peoples feelings. You will never see anything they post (unless you want to)

I just accept the friend request and unfollow people

Also you have their details should you ever need them
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Edwards wrote:As for personal details according to my personal details I am over 100 years old yet they are still trying to set me up with "Young free and single girls".
So much for targeting advertising and the snooping Cookies (no I have never looked at and of they young women on the internet)

Facebook has no clue about targeted advertising. Everyone gets ads for stuff they've browsed for and hot singles. I also get friend requests from girls called Candy who have sexy profile pics. :roll:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
gaz

Post by gaz »

Vinko wrote:Also, does anyone know if you can have a Facebook account and have no "friends" on there at all? I realise how daft that sounds, but is something I am thinking of just to access some of the other bits......)

If anyone is starting from scratch kwackers gives some advice here about how to avoid gaining any fb friends.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Vinko

Post by Vinko »

gaz wrote:If anyone is starting from scratch kwackers gives some advice here about how to avoid gaining any fb friends.

Thank you for that Gaz. Didnt see that thread!
Jeckyll_n_Snyde

Post by Jeckyll_n_Snyde »

I despise FB :evil: ...if i had my way it'd be banned....it's used as a weapon by many for various reasons and as such it's more dangerous than a loaded gun IMO....one of my daughters was bullied via this "tool" so much that she attempted suicide and ended up being hospitalized for a while...and to add insult to injury several years later one of my ex gf's (upon splitting up) decided to "publicly" humiliate me using FB as her favorite weapon of choice :twisted: :twisted: at which point i closed my account; this being rather unfair to the good/decent people that i conversed with.

I'd previously noted that some users used FB as a means to attack others with "words" and had no regards to the damage that would follow their rant etc. but i just generally ignored the remarks up until the point it became personal towards myself and my daughter.

I believe some have taken their lives because of this "social networking" tool and yes whilst a text message/phone-call/letter etc. etc. could just as well do as much/same damage they aren't "public" like FB is.

The sooner it's removed/banned/becomes non-popular etc. etc. the happier i and others will be.
MALE by the evolutionary process of natural selection
Heterosexual by choice
Atheist by the grace of G** :wink: :wink: :wink: