Creme Eggs - how do you boycott yours?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
fluffybunnyuk

Creme Eggs - how do you boycott yours?

Postby fluffybunnyuk » 17 Jan 2015, 12:33am

They changed the recipe, shrunk them, and now 5? in a box....
Thank Cr*** the american platic cheese makers for these novel innovations...

First no chocolate coins...now this...

Vinko

Re: Creme Eggs - how do you boycott yours?

Postby Vinko » 17 Jan 2015, 7:44am

What!!! I need to check this out, it can not be true :cry:

Spinners

Postby Spinners » 17 Jan 2015, 7:54am

Buy 'em and burn 'em!

I might not have actually thought that out...
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)

Tonyf33

Postby Tonyf33 » 17 Jan 2015, 8:37am

outgrew them years ago, will be warning others of the nasty non 'cadbury's' Creme egg. I buy much of my chocolate from Lidl, have a great range of quality choclate and just make my own eggs at easter. Creme eggs are not that hard to make tbh..bit of fondant, some patience, melted choclate..ta-da :D

661-Pete

Postby 661-Pete » 17 Jan 2015, 9:24am

This thread comes at a particularly apposite time for me, seeing as I'm trying to cut out as much sugar as possible from my diet (NY res.). So I'm delighted to be able to say with perfect honesty, [pompous] one of these wretched objects will never make its way into our household [/pompous].

What are they anyway?

No don't answer that, I have come across them, to my eternal shame. Wasn't there a massive TV advert campaign many many moons ago? Bit on the lines of the old 'Milky Bar Kid' series?

Having said all this, I still regret not being able to make my favoured chestnut/chocolate fridge cake, especially since chestnuts are still in season. But with an ingredients list including raisins, chopped prunes, chocolate (even the most expensive couverture choc still has a lot of sugar in it!), and crushed gingernut biscuits, along with a liberal helping of butter - no wonder it piles on the Kg!! :(

[boast] I have lost over 3Kg since Xmas :D [/boast]
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).

Vantage

Postby Vantage » 17 Jan 2015, 10:56am

I read up on this after news reports of it on facebook. They've changed from using milk chocolate to cocoa chocolate because it's cheaper.
I used to buy these soon as I saw them on the shop shelves.......not any more. Why change something that was perfect? Eejits!
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.

Vinko

Postby Vinko » 17 Jan 2015, 12:13pm

Vantage wrote:I read up on this after news reports of it on facebook. They've changed from using milk chocolate to cocoa chocolate because it's cheaper.
I used to buy these soon as I saw them on the shop shelves.......not any more. Why change something that was perfect? Eejits!

What's Facebook :lol:

Vinko

Postby Vinko » 17 Jan 2015, 12:14pm

Tonyf33 wrote:outgrew them years ago, will be warning others of the nasty non 'cadbury's' Creme egg. I buy much of my chocolate from Lidl, have a great range of quality choclate and just make my own eggs at easter. Creme eggs are not that hard to make tbh..bit of fondant, some patience, melted choclate..ta-da :D

This sounds fun, any recipe? Also, how do you get them to be "egg shaped"?

Like to try this.

fluffybunnyuk

Postby fluffybunnyuk » 17 Jan 2015, 2:07pm

use egg moulds (1/2 egg shape) pour the chocolate in let it set...add each layer let it set...then use a hot spoon to weld the 2 moulds together...
lol im a dab hand with chocolate but not metal...

Home made eggs taste much better, but sourcing good quality chocolate is difficult. heres hoping that green and blacks can buy themselves back out of the Cr*** empire.

[XAP]Bob

Postby [XAP]Bob » 17 Jan 2015, 6:01pm

Meh, they're not Hershey's, so that's one thing.

They're different, but not drastically so. The reduction to 5 in a box is silly, they're eggs!

What's sillier is the current pricing...
Box of 5 is £2, or 3 for £1
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.

Tonyf33

Postby Tonyf33 » 17 Jan 2015, 6:12pm

Vinko wrote:
Tonyf33 wrote:outgrew them years ago, will be warning others of the nasty non 'cadbury's' Creme egg. I buy much of my chocolate from Lidl, have a great range of quality choclate and just make my own eggs at easter. Creme eggs are not that hard to make tbh..bit of fondant, some patience, melted choclate..ta-da :D

This sounds fun, any recipe? Also, how do you get them to be "egg shaped"?

Like to try this.

As fluffy says above. doesn't even have to be egg shaped tbh. Here's a nice simple recipe for the fondant, not mine cos I don't share my patisserie recipes.. 8) :lol:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic ... k-all.html
I haven't made eggs for a couple of years now, as a pastry chef back in ye olden days I was always being asked to make them..less hassle than occasion cakes though..lol

If you want to make larger eggs then the packaging that the cheapo eggs come in or even the textured ones of the more expensive eggs work well. Just need to ensure you get the chocolate at a similar thickness (even a tad thicker at the edges)

Flinders

Postby Flinders » 17 Jan 2015, 8:00pm

Thanks for that, you just reminded me I got some egg moulds which I've never used.....I may give it a go... if I can find where I put the things.

I tried the new creme eggs. Not totally uneatable (like Hershey), but not nearly as nice as they used to be. To have to burn off all those calories afterwards, eating one has to be a superlative experience, not just a vaguely sweet one, so I won't be buying any more.

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 18 Jan 2015, 9:58am

Tonyf33 wrote:outgrew them years ago .....
Me too.
Far too sweet and sickly.

Maybe even worse now?
Mick F. Cornwall

Tonyf33

Postby Tonyf33 » 18 Jan 2015, 9:08pm

Mick F wrote:
Tonyf33 wrote:outgrew them years ago .....
Me too.
Far too sweet and sickly.

Maybe even worse now?

on a long ride I take a lidl branded marathon (or two if I'm feeling naughty..lol) I love desserts & patisserie but nasty cheap sickly sweet choklut is just yuk.

Lambretta

Postby Lambretta » 19 Jan 2015, 1:31am

Mmmm walnut whips