Lonely Heart?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Lonely Heart?

Post by Mick F »

Received an email this morning into our Hotmail account. It went straight into the Junk folder, but I had a sneaky peek at it.

Should I reply?
or maybe someone else wants to? :lol:

Edited for punctuation and paragraphs.
There were no attachments, just the text.

blessinglyly@outlook.com

My Dearest One
My name is Blessing, I am a young lady with a kind and open heart, I value honesty, openness, truth, sincerity and mutuality, I dislike lies, selfishness and egoism, I believe that love will rescue our world.

I find myself as a romantic, sensitive and kind person, I believe that every one is kind and responsive. I consider myself to be an optimistic and purposeful person, I have faith in my success, faith makes our hopes stronger and convinces us of existence of the things that we can't see, I am searching of true love, I am sure if the feelings are true no distance can destroy them, I enjoy my life, but life can't be complete if you don't have a person to share it with.

Hoping To Hear From You

Yours, Blessing
Mick F. Cornwall
The Mechanic

Re: Lonely Heart?

Post by The Mechanic »

Blessing has probably already cloned your address book, stolen your bank account details and is, as I write, emptying your account of your hard earned cash.
Cancer changes your outlook on life. Change yours before it changes you.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

No.
Cannot be done.

Our Hotmail address is just that, Hotmail and nothing to do with anything in this home. We only use it for internet shopping and for people we don't know.

Anyway, she seems such a nice person, I doubt she has any malicious intent. :lol: :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

You two timing so and so......

She is already spoken for
maxcherry

Post by maxcherry »

Follow your heart :lol:
Honestly chaps, I'm a female!
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

You can fool some of the people all of the time and those are the ones she loves.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

There are some people on the internet who would lead such a person on and then make them do ridiculous things on camera with the promise that the money will be transferred forthwith. Some of the photos are hilarious. Go on, you know you want to!

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Last time I heard from her, she was lamenting the untimely death in a plane crash of her late husband Sir Archibald M'balo M'ponga the chairman and chief executive of the Nigeria National Bank, and looking for a way of transferring his surplus US$ 30,000,000 (THIRTY MILLION US DOLLARS) into her account. She even promised me 10% of the proceedings, if I'd help her out by sending her my bank details, PIN and password IN THE UTMOST SECRECY....

Wish I'd taken her up on her offer..... :lol: :shock: :twisted:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
jezer

Post by jezer »

As an older poster, and one who learned proper language and punctuation in the 50's, I fear internet scams can go undetected for those who can't spell properly. It's obvious to most of us who attended old style education that the poor spelling alerts us to scams. Modern education doesn't seem to alert youngsters to the risk.
Power to the pedals
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

jezer wrote:As an older poster, and one who learned proper language and punctuation in the 50's, I fear internet scams can go undetected for those who can't spell properly. It's obvious to most of us who attended old style education that the poor spelling alerts us to scams. Modern education doesn't seem to alert youngsters to the risk.

Quite true - I reckon I've often saved myself at the brink, from a headlong plunge into disaster, merely through noticing a spelling or grammatical error. Trouble is, if we go back to teaching our kiddies how to 'talk English proper', as it was for me in the 1950s, the scammers too will have learnt how to write fluent English. And then where will we be?

The worst, at the moment, are those that purport to come from BT - usually telling me or my wife that our E-mail account is "about to expire" or whatever. The problem is, that both my wife and I do have BT E-mail accounts - and the phishing messages look very genuine.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
gaz

Post by gaz »

There is a kind of logic to the bad grammar, spelling, etc.

In some cases it's a deliberate ploy to bypass spam filters looking for key phrases.

More simply it narrows the pool of respondents down quickly, leaving the scammers to focus on those who were trusting/vulnerable/lonely/foolish/greedy/gullible enough to have responded despite the bad grammar and spelling.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Vinko

Post by Vinko »

Hang on, hang on. First things first.

You need to find out more about her, she hasn't even mentioned what type of bike she has got, let alone frame material and size of tyres. Is she a helmet wearer or not and does she prefer Caradice or Ortlieb or something a bit more...err "risqué" shall we say? These things need to be established first - they can make or break a relationship. Even if she is going on about the "existence of things that you can not see"......You want to see her bike first!

I've been caught out by this kind of thing before. The last one I met with from an advert like this "led me on" for several dates. She bought me flowers, meals out, tickets to concerts and drove me around in her Mercedes.... until I eventually found out that she didn't even have a bike!

Be warned!

PS - Also, does she even like Spam ?
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

jezer wrote:As an older poster, and one who learned proper language and punctuation in the 50's, I fear internet scams can go undetected for those who can't spell properly. It's obvious to most of us who attended old style education that the poor spelling alerts us to scams. Modern education doesn't seem to alert youngsters to the risk.

On a serious note (sorry), but I read a (serious) article some time ago regarding the spelling and grammar in these scams and apparently it is completely deliberate. The scammers are probably capable of writing better english than most of us are. But they are also smart and they have a target audience (those who are taken in by such scams). They don't want to waste their time on handling responses from people who will not be taken in by their scam and writing the poor spelling/grammar means that those who are unlikely to be suckers will not bother to even respond. But those who are more likely to be taken-in don't notice the language errors as much. Thus it is a deliberate filtering technique, saving them time (and thus money).

Ian
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

gaz wrote:More simply it narrows the pool of respondents down quickly, leaving the scammers to focus on those who were trusting/vulnerable/lonely/foolish/greedy/gullible enough to have responded despite the bad grammar and spelling.

Psamathe wrote:On a serious note (sorry), but I read a (serious) article some time ago regarding the spelling and grammar in these scams and apparently it is completely deliberate. The scammers are probably capable of writing better english than most of us are. But they are also smart and they have a target audience (those who are taken in by such scams). They don't want to waste their time on handling responses from people who will not be taken in by their scam and writing the poor spelling/grammar means that those who are unlikely to be suckers will not bother to even respond. But those who are more likely to be taken-in don't notice the language errors as much. Thus it is a deliberate filtering technique, saving them time (and thus money).

I must admit, I wasn't aware of this, but having done a bit of googling, I can see how this is plausible.

Scary, because it introduces another dimension into the multiple layers of deception!

I have to say, I find it quite an effort to deliberately introduce bad grammar into what I write (aside from the odd split infinitive with which everyone is familiar, thanks to Captain Kirk! :lol: ). I know this because some years ago I registered incognito on a forum with which I'd had previous hostile issues (not this forum I hasten to add!). In order to further disguise my identity, I tried to introduce a measure of convincing poor grammar into the few posts I made on that forum. I found this was far from easy: old habits die hard, and I soon gave up the attempt.

Needless to say, writing like Nigel Molesworth is not what I'm on about, as any fule kno....
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Interesting.

Here's the original, exactly as I received it.:
(Dug it out of the Trash)

My Dearest
Blessing kigbafori (blessinglyly@outlook.com)

My Dearest One My name is Blessing i am a young lady with a kind and open heart,i value honesty,openness,truth,sincerity and mutuality,i dislike lies,selfishness and egoism, i believe that love will rescue our world.I find myself as a romantic,sensitive and kind person,i believe that every one is kind and responsive.I consider myself to be an optimistic and purposeful person,i have faith in my success,faith makes our hopes stronger and convinces us of existence of the things that we can't see,i am searching of true love,i am sure if the feelings are true no distance can destroy them,I enjoy my life,but life can't be complete if you don't have a person to share it with.Hoping To Hear From You,Yours Blessing
Mick F. Cornwall