Tattoos...Um, No Thanks...

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
cc1085

Re: Tattoos...Um, No Thanks...

Post by cc1085 »

Tattoos are not a fashion and have been with us for thousands of years and will probably continue for as long as humans are on the planet, which may not be for much longer due to the severe climate change we are creating by releasing all those elements back into our living room, that have been locked up for millions of years. No I'm not a tree hugger,this is just a fact of our activity, so enjoy this life as much as you can and stick with the bicycle and we will all be ok.
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/t ... 80/?no-ist
Jeckyll_n_Snyde

Post by Jeckyll_n_Snyde »

landsurfer wrote:Food banks are now asking questions of adults with "sleeve" tattoos on their arms asking for assistance

mmm i find that a bit harsh if that is the case....IMO a foodbank/charitable organisation shouldn't be judging those they are helping ...a person's "previous wealth" shouldn't come into it...just because they are asking for help/assistance (food in this case) doesn't mean they are lying about their income; they may have fallen on hard times and the last thing they probably need is someone looking down/judging them because they "appear" to have been wealthy/better off at some point.

As for tattoos; i have my daughters names with DOB's on my arms (non-viewable with a long sleeved shirt/arm warmers if i so choose) and i'm very proud of them... IMO it's a personal thing whether to have/wear/show them, just like wearing a helmet/headphones or having a single pannier is a choice....each to their own i suppose.
MALE by the evolutionary process of natural selection
Heterosexual by choice
Atheist by the grace of G** :wink: :wink: :wink:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

cc1085 wrote:Tattoos are not a fashion and have been with us for thousands of years
I don't disagree with you, and I doubt anyone else would.

My point about fashion, is that in the western world, tatoos used to be the preserve of manual workers, sailors, etc. These days, young ladies sport them, footballers have them, models and filmstars have them, just about anyone has one and in full view too.

Welcome to the forum BTW. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
tyreon

Post by tyreon »

I am happy to pay for tattoos for others: Tony Blair and Jack Straw: 30 pieces o silver. Or 1,000,000 + coffins. I could go on,but you get the idea!
townbikemark

Post by townbikemark »

Heltor Chasca wrote:
nicmarsh wrote:hi
index.jpg

[emoji23] Too funny. Thanks for sharing Nic.

I'm also laughing because the "old boys' club" on this forum is having a proper old man moan about us young 'uns. Funny.

I'm 40, feel pretty youthful, haven't got any tattoos but I'm not old enough yet to not consider having one. I'm still in my tolerant decade. When does that change?

I'm only having a friendly dig. I'm actually quite fond of you all. [emoji4]...hc

You may or may not know how old we are.

Seems lot of people over 40 are getting tattooed.

Good and bad aspects to every age - I for one, am convinced it's never been a better time to be a cyclist for example. But I can't ever remember liking tattoos, smoking, sado-masochism, sorry, piercings or other dross many others do to be rebels or follow the crowd.
stereotype nonconformance...unpigeonholable...

http://townbikemark.blogspot.co.uk/
townbikemark

Post by townbikemark »

Jeckyll_n_Snyde wrote:
landsurfer wrote:Food banks are now asking questions of adults with "sleeve" tattoos on their arms asking for assistance

mmm i find that a bit harsh if that is the case....IMO a foodbank/charitable organisation shouldn't be judging those they are helping ...a person's "previous wealth" shouldn't come into it...just because they are asking for help/assistance (food in this case) doesn't mean they are lying about their income; they may have fallen on hard times and the last thing they probably need is someone looking down/judging them because they "appear" to have been wealthy/better off at some point.

I suppose it depends when the tattoo appeared - easy to notice and remember when it's all over the arm...some that have them are known for spending money that should be spent on something else on whatever they fancy...

reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

landsurfer wrote:you think you've got problems ... see my son ... google.. tittybonbon .....
Yes we love him ....
and support him ... happily

Sorry if I caused offence,my comment was an offhand attempt at humour.
I'm by no means homophobic or transgenderphobic,etc.
Live and let live :) .
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

cc1085 wrote:Tattoos are not a fashion and have been with us for thousands of years and will probably continue for as long as humans are on the planet,

That doesn't mean they aren't fashion.Fashion is an exhibit of who we like to show the world who we are at that moment or for a given timespan,usually by clothing,make up,hairstyle,lifestyle,etc.
All or any of which can be changed at any time.

The problem with tattoos is that when the the person moves on the tattoos stay.

which may not be for much longer due to the severe climate change we are creating by releasing all those elements back into our living room, that have been locked up for millions of years. No I'm not a tree hugger,this is just a fact of our activity, so enjoy this life as much as you can and stick with the bicycle and we will all be ok.
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/t ... 80/?no-ist

The human race's problem is success,we are simply too prolific for the planet to support and overpopulation is the problem.
I believe the maths indicate that one third of the current populous(2+ billion)is sustainable without impacting on the planet's resources unduly.
I do agree though we're heading for big trouble and at the current levels of population growth/consumption we will exhaust resources,unless the planet reacts....
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
townbikemark

Post by townbikemark »

reohn2 wrote:The human race's problem is success,we are simply too prolific for the planet to support and overpopulation is the problem.
I believe the maths indicate that one third of the current populous(2+ billion)is sustainable without impacting on the planet's resources unduly.
I do agree though we're heading for big trouble and at the current levels of population growth/consumption we will exhaust resources,unless the planet reacts....

Counterbalanced I think by the human race's ability to adapt to its environment, including reducing any negative impacts; Malthus was wrong and I'm confident modern day pessimists will be proved so.

hondated

Post by hondated »

I have got two and it just seemed a right of passage being brought up on a large council estate and my dad had one.
At least I chose to have at the age of 15 a rose with mum and dad but my mates mum was not impressed with his naked lady.I have not seen him for decades but I bet just like mine his too is just an inky mess on his arm.Do I regret it no it was what I wanted at that time. Probably a macho thing.Would I have one now no and I am glad my son of 42 as known as well. In fact all his mates have them so he takes pride in not having any
Just got to worry now about my three grandson's not having any. There dads got one though.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

I have tattoos And proud of them.
Ihad them done 20 years ago and they are still not an inky mess.
townbikemark wrote:
Jeckyll_n_Snyde wrote:

I suppose it depends when the tattoo appeared - easy to notice and remember when it's all over the arm...some that have them are known for spending money that should be spent on something else on whatever they fancy...

Do you have any real evidence for this or is it just you don't like Poor people and associate tattoos with them. People of all walks oflife have tattoos and for a variety of reasons and you can't stop people going to food banks who do have them.
Last edited by NUKe on 9 Feb 2015, 1:12pm, edited 1 time in total.
NUKe

Post by Ben@Forest »

Mick F wrote:I defence of footballers ...............
One question I remember is which sport has the most injuries?

Turns out it's professional football ............... rather than any contact sport.
Ankles, cartilages, shins, leg muscles and tendons etc.

I don't think this is even close to being true. It may be that there are more injuries in soccer/football in the UK because a greater number of people play it compared with other sports but as a percentage of people who participate all the sports below have more deaths/injuries than soccer (not in any especial order):

Horse racing
Mountaineering
BASE jumping
Rugby
Gaelic football

As has been the subject of this forum before cycling is of course a tricky one, because the lines between cycling as a sport, pastime or as a means of transport are blurred. But in sportives I've seen two nasty accidents and been in one myself (alone) and when I say nasty I mean ambulances had to be in attendance and transported the unfortunates to hospital. Though I've now cycled many more hours than I ever played football I never saw that severity of accident whilst on a pitch.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Ben@Forest wrote:
Mick F wrote:I defence of footballers ...............
One question I remember is which sport has the most injuries?

Turns out it's professional football ............... rather than any contact sport.
Ankles, cartilages, shins, leg muscles and tendons etc.

I don't think this is even close to being true. It may be that there are more injuries in soccer/football in the UK because a greater number of people play it compared with other sports but as a percentage of people who participate all the sports below have more deaths/injuries than soccer (not in any especial order):

Horse racing
Mountaineering
BASE jumping
Rugby
Gaelic football

As has been the subject of this forum before cycling is of course a tricky one, because the lines between cycling as a sport, pastime or as a means of transport are blurred. But in sportives I've seen two nasty accidents and been in one myself (alone) and when I say nasty I mean ambulances had to be in attendance and transported the unfortunates to hospital. Though I've now cycled many more hours than I ever played football I never saw that severity of accident whilst on a pitch.
I'm only quoting our games master.

He said that there are more injuries per game in pro football than any other game including rugby.
Mountaineering and base jumping aren't in the argument. Horse racing is racing, and I ain't got a clue about Gaelic football. :wink:

Any road up, it isn't my fact, it's my old games master's fact.
Mick F. Cornwall
hondated

Post by hondated »

Blimey NUKe I m pleased to read that yours haven't blurred after 20 years but by saying that you made me realise mine are nearly 50 years old. So I can only hope that in another 30 years yours will still not be blurred. I don't necessarily agree with all MIckf's views on tattoos but given he was in the Navy so long given the peer pressure from his colleagues he must have felt he did well not to have any done.
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Mick F wrote:
He said that there are more injuries per game in pro football than any other game including rugby.
Mountaineering and base jumping aren't in the argument. Horse racing is racing, and I ain't got a clue about Gaelic football. :wink:

Any road up, it isn't my fact, it's my old games master's fact.

What's even more surprising than any games master's statistic about football is that cheerleading is by some considerable distance the most dangerous sport for American women (and according to some stats the most dangerous sport in America full stop). But how is cheerleading classified as a sport?