Cheap saddles

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mick146

Re: Cheap saddles

Post by mick146 »

I've been looking through "my posts" and came upon the one about my cheap saddle...after over two years that cheapo is still going strong,and is still as comfy as ever....it cost £7.50 !!

It's a bit scuffed on the side,where the bottom (no pun intended)of the range plastic covering has given up in the battle of being leant on rough walls.

I've needed no "Rectumotomy" as kwakkers tried to scare me of...(I couldn't sleep for a while thinking of the horrors of that)...the shop still stocks the same type,and I may go buy another one soon,as a treat for the bike.

So there !!...you don't always get what you pay for.
Old enough to know better.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Does it have a name? - by which I mean maker's name or brand name.

Two years yes, but how many miles, and how many miles do you ride in a sitting? Don't misunderstand - I'm neither getting at you nor questioning you, just interested, as many others will be.

The thing about a plastic topped saddle for winter, is that, in extremis, it doesn't need the TLC that a leather one does, nor does it suffer from the lack of it.
meic

Post by meic »

My £5 Lidl saddle went on the "workhorse" bike in May 08. It has now done 5,200 miles.
Including tours and several rides around or above 100 miles in a day.

The only thing I have noticed about the saddle, is that I just dont notice it at all!
Yma o Hyd
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

meic wrote:The only thing I have noticed about the saddle, is that I just dont notice it at all!

You must have a saddle shaped bum. I've yet to find a saddle that I didn't notice. :(

I think I might bite the bullet and buy a Brooks in the hope it'll mold to my botty - even if it does offend my vegetarian ideals...
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

MEIC

100 miles a day and comfy - well - you'll not get much better than that.

KWACKERS

That's ok - cows are vegetarians.
mick146

Post by mick146 »

Hiya,JohnW,

I'm not a long distance or a speed ace cyclist...my bike is my only means of transport....used for shopping,visiting family and whatever.

The saddle is a "Massi"...I had never heard the name before I bought it....I intended it to be an emergency replacement when my expensive one broke...to get me home.

I don't do great mileages (after all,I am nearly 70)..my usual trips are into Lincoln (5 miles each way),a walk round the shops,and then back...or maybe uphill and a ride round the historic quarter,which becomes about 10 miles each way.

I often decide to come back by "the long route" which is along the riverside path,and maybe out in the country on the way,making a 25 or 30 mile round trip....these trips are taken at a steady pace...I often stop to look at nature,and take a few pics.

That cheapo saddle still feels comfy to my bum,and when it dies I'll buy another one the same.

The most miles I did in a day on it was just over 35.

Total mileage?...well,I've done 18,000 miles in 6 years,so if I've had my saddle 2 years....about 6,000 miles.

When it dies,I will bury it with full military honours !!
mick146

Post by mick146 »

I was on the forum this evening and remembered my post about my cheap saddle...

It's still perfectly ok after two and a half years !!....and when I bought it I thought "If I get six months out of it I can't grumble"....and it's still comfy as ever.

And I haven't needed a "Rectumotomy" or whatever it was called.