Helium

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Helium

Postby Mick F » 20 Feb 2015, 4:21pm

Strange that there's a world shortage of Helium, but we still fill toy balloons with it. :shock:

Wiki wrote:As of 2012 the United States National Helium Reserve accounted for 30 percent of the world's helium. The reserve was expected to run out of helium in 2018. Despite that a proposed bill in the United States Senate would allow the reserve to continue to sell the gas. Other large reserves were in the Hugoton in Kansas, United States and nearby gas fields of Kansas and the panhandles of Texas and Oklahoma. New helium plants were scheduled to open in 2012 in Qatar, Russia and the United States state of Wyoming but they were not expected to ease the shortage
Why are we wasting it?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/scien ... 39108.html
Mick F. Cornwall

661-Pete

Re: Helium

Postby 661-Pete » 20 Feb 2015, 4:56pm

Probably using it to make people talk funny - especially on TV chatshows. :shock:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).

Audax67

Postby Audax67 » 20 Feb 2015, 5:55pm

Why are we wasting it? Because the people who worry about it aren't the ones making money out of it, and money talks louder than worry.
Have we got time for another cuppa?

fluffybunnyuk

Postby fluffybunnyuk » 20 Feb 2015, 5:58pm

Deuterium-Tritium reactions produce 4-Helium+14MeV energy. One day i'm sure there will be plenty :lol:

661-Pete

Postby 661-Pete » 20 Feb 2015, 6:13pm

Better, I think, to collect it from Jupiter: there's plenty around there. I wonder if some future generation could set up a pipeline? Would have to be pretty flexible! :lol:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.

SteveHunter

Postby SteveHunter » 20 Feb 2015, 6:44pm

If I was to get some could I inflate my bike tyres with it, would that make my wheels lighter and then I could go faster ;)

fluffybunnyuk

Postby fluffybunnyuk » 20 Feb 2015, 7:17pm

well if your really obsessive 2kg of helium should completely negate your bikes weight :lol:
No idea of the size of the blimp needed though to be attached to the bike, but i'm betting its a decent size. help!...wheres an engineer when you need one...
Hydrogens better but i wouldnt risk it with a spark...

Elizabethsdad

Postby Elizabethsdad » 20 Feb 2015, 7:49pm

Saw an article once in which a professor of Physics at Oxford was roundly condemning the use of helium for filling balloons after he had to cancel a long running experiment due to running out of liquid helium before it was completed - several million pounds worth of research wasted just because some bloody kids want a floating balloon on their birthday was the gist of it. It is also the gas standardly used in analytical laboratories in gas chromatography instruments. Trouble is it is lost to space and there aren't any natural sources producing any to replace what is lost.

kwackers

Postby kwackers » 20 Feb 2015, 8:21pm

Elizabethsdad wrote:Saw an article once in which a professor of Physics at Oxford was roundly condemning the use of helium for filling balloons after he had to cancel a long running experiment due to running out of liquid helium before it was completed - several million pounds worth of research wasted just because some bloody kids want a floating balloon on their birthday was the gist of it. It is also the gas standardly used in analytical laboratories in gas chromatography instruments. Trouble is it is lost to space and there aren't any natural sources producing any to replace what is lost.

On a local FB page someone asked if anyone had a local source for helium for their kids balloons. I posted a link to the problem and was roundly condemned by one and all.
Basically having floating balloons at a kids party is far more important than even the mere suggestion they might want to make an informed choice let alone the actual problems caused by running out of helium.

Psamathe

Postby Psamathe » 20 Feb 2015, 8:25pm

Audax67 wrote:Why are we wasting it? Because the people who worry about it aren't the ones making money out of it, and money talks louder than worry.

+1
And once the world runs-out, there is no getting it back or recovering it from the atmosphere in the future. Human race is so shortsighted.

Ian

661-Pete

Postby 661-Pete » 20 Feb 2015, 9:38pm

When I was a kid, we used to blow up our own party balloons, using lung-power, pure and simple. No helium nonsense for us! If you didn't have the breath to do it, keep exercising until you have. And I also learned how to make a balloon (an ordinary, air-filled balloon, that is) - stick to the ceiling. Anyone else remember?

Mnd you, I also remember the 'balloon race' event at the local fete. Using helium balloons. You would buy a balloon, write your name on an attached label, and let it go. You had to trust to someone finding the label and posting it back; the one that went furthest won the prize. I reckon there was a lot of cheating...

Audax67

Postby Audax67 » 20 Feb 2015, 9:39pm

It's a shame that western culture doesn't have an ingrained belief in reincarnation. As it is, the prevailing mode of thought is "well yes, it's all going to the dogs, but there'll be plenty to see me out." If we believed we'd be back we'd be a bit more careful...

...maybe. But look at the smog in India.

In the end, we're a bunch of monkeys dancing on the slopes of an active volcano.
Have we got time for another cuppa?

661-Pete

Postby 661-Pete » 20 Feb 2015, 9:48pm

Seriously ... this helium shortage business has, in fact, been bothering me at the back of my mind for some years - perhaps ever since I was a physics student all the way back in the 1960s. One misuse which I certainly deplore, is certain high street shops which deploy someone in the street to give away helium balloons (with livery) to passing kids as an advertising stunt. The name of Arg*s springs particularly to mind. Should these companies be challenged about this practice? Have they already?

Elizabethsdad

Postby Elizabethsdad » 21 Feb 2015, 8:23am

kwackers wrote:
Elizabethsdad wrote:Saw an article once in which a professor of Physics at Oxford was roundly condemning the use of helium for filling balloons after he had to cancel a long running experiment due to running out of liquid helium before it was completed - several million pounds worth of research wasted just because some bloody kids want a floating balloon on their birthday was the gist of it. It is also the gas standardly used in analytical laboratories in gas chromatography instruments. Trouble is it is lost to space and there aren't any natural sources producing any to replace what is lost.

On a local FB page someone asked if anyone had a local source for helium for their kids balloons. I posted a link to the problem and was roundly condemned by one and all.
Basically having floating balloons at a kids party is far more important than even the mere suggestion they might want to make an informed choice let alone the actual problems caused by running out of helium.

Oh and on the subject of floating balloons - a lot of them float off and finally come back down in the Pacific Ocean where then get eaten by albatrosses, turtles and such like which ends up killing them. So no, just no.

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 21 Feb 2015, 9:47am

Interesting observations.
Thank you, and you all seem in accordance with my thinking.

I raised this subject because we're putting on the village pantomime. This year it's The Wizard of Kernow.
http://gladgunni.com/
(Kernow is Cornish for Cornwall.)

Mrs Mick F is playing one of the stooges, and I'm back-stage managing the scenery changes. Hard work for all the cast and us lot at the back. We have a matinee this afternoon, and the last night is tonight. We've done five evenings so far including dress rehearsal.

Any road up, there's a scene with a mock-up balloon basket that the dame and the two stooges are flying over Kernow to Pasty Paradise. The mock-up balloon basket has half a dozen helium-inflated coloured balloons, and we need a new set for each performance, but today we'll manage the matinee and the night with one lot.

That's lots of helium used.
Mick F. Cornwall