Obsessing...

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
townbikemark

Obsessing...

Post by townbikemark »

A section of one of my favourite cycling blogs, Lovely Bicycle has a section on obsessing...

http://lovelybike.blogspot.co.uk/#

I've noticed I have my own obsessions, especially looking over bikes parked at railway stations. When I see them, being a hubgear fan, I immediately look at the back wheel to see if it has one, a big fat hub. If it has, I look at the rest of it to see if it has dynamo lights, rear rack and Brooks saddle, paying attention to see if it has any features I can copy to improve the utility of my own bikes. I look to see if it's looked after and nice and clean like I try to keep my own......Same with features on bikes in a typical LBS, odds are one or two at most in the entire shop...

Anything with all those exposed cogs especially rusty ones or single speed I tend not to give a second glance...

Yes, I do wonder about myself...as do others no doubt, wondering what I'm looking at...Anybody else with obsessions?
stereotype nonconformance...unpigeonholable...

http://townbikemark.blogspot.co.uk/
iandriver

Re: Obsessing...

Post by iandriver »

I try not to be obsessive (or a busy body) when looking at the cycles in the rack at work. All those rusty chains and half flat tyres. I have to bite my lip and keep going. I suspect most would find a phantom chain oiler at bit creepy......
(No bicycle repair man You-tube clips please)
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
hondated

Post by hondated »

townbikemark wrote:A section of one of my favourite cycling blogs, Lovely Bicycle has a section on obsessing...

http://lovelybike.blogspot.co.uk/#

I've noticed I have my own obsessions, especially looking over bikes parked at railway stations. When I see them, being a hubgear fan, I immediately look at the back wheel to see if it has one, a big fat hub. If it has, I look at the rest of it to see if it has dynamo lights, rear rack and Brooks saddle, paying attention to see if it has any features I can copy to improve the utility of my own bikes. I look to see if it's looked after and nice and clean like I try to keep my own......Same with features on bikes in a typical LBS, odds are one or two at most in the entire shop...

Anything with all those exposed cogs especially rusty ones or single speed I tend not to give a second glance...

Yes, I do wonder about myself...as do others no doubt, wondering what I'm looking at...Anybody else with obsessions?

Great you've now made my obsession even worse. If I am not looking at bikes in the street, going past me or indeed at stations I will now be looking at this blog.
I can think of worse obsessions to have though so thanks.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Obsessing,
Comfort>tyres>tyre pressures>riding position>gearing
Things have to be 'right' to be 'right'.
That rightness is my own rightness for my own pleasure... ...old fart with too much time on my hands :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

iandriver wrote:I suspect most would find a phantom chain oiler at bit creepy......

:lol:
I know how you feel, though, and I was sorely tempted recently to use an Allen key to turn the stem around on a brand new Carrera Subway parked outside my local Asda so that the disc brake was on the left, not the right, and the fork was pointing the right way... :roll:
The phantom fork fixer... :D
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I look at parked single speeds too, most have a free wheel (falsche Fixie). I rejoice when I see a real fixed sprocket. Obession or problem? Nöö!
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

kylecycler wrote:
iandriver wrote:I suspect most would find a phantom chain oiler at bit creepy......

:lol:
I know how you feel, though, and I was sorely tempted recently to use an Allen key to turn the stem around on a brand new Carrera Subway parked outside my local Asda so that the disc brake was on the left, not the right, and the fork was pointing the right way... :roll:
The phantom fork fixer... :D

More doogooders please, just put a note on it so the rider knows it will behave differently %)
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I am a self obsessive.......about my bikes, others I mostly just don't like, but look more at the way others fit the bike or not.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.