Reason No. 41 Why this Forum is Great

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Heltor Chasca

Reason No. 41 Why this Forum is Great

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Some of you may know (or are possibly unsurprised) that my marriage ended in early December. Insert appropriate emotion here.

On this forum I have found an outlet where like-minded people can share, laugh, learn, get angry, be compassionate and escape from the domestic drudgery life chucks at us.

Unlike my failed marital quest: I have found that instead of one person not listening to me, tolerating my quirks, putting up with my cultural nuances, my long hair and beard AND my occasional peculiar ethics...

...there are at least 8 of you! You know who you are.

I give up on humanity.

But thanks for being there all of you...[emoji4]
gaz

Re: Reason No. 41 Why this Forum is Great

Post by gaz »

Sorry , what was that? I wasn't paying attention, could you type it again for me? :wink:
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

As hopefully not one of the octet, I have appreciated reading your posts and am glad that this forum has given you some form of release following the sad break-up of your marriage (which I didn't know about).
It's only lately that I've noticed a few more rants than usual and also the odd bickering between a few participants.
For me, this forum gives me a wonderful escape from watching the drivel on the telly most evenings and keeps me up to date with quite a few hot topics.
I'm not sure if it is educational or not, which is why I haven't a clue if your forum name is actually real, a play on words or what. Any clues please.
fausto.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I too am sorry to read about your divorce,having been through it myself(forty years ago though)I know how much upset it can cause,and I hope your separation is amicable.
What can I say only,all the best and I hope things work out for you.

The forum is open to all some people come and stay others don't for whatever reason,but IMO the more the merrier and opposing opinions so,long as kept cordial,are part of life and forums.Respect is a key word on any forum so long that remains the forum will flourish IMHO.

Once again all the best and thanks for your input
John
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

My post was very open and honest AND loaded with humour as it seems to be a good way for me to deal with things. My jibe about 8 new 'thorns in my side' is to be taken lightly. I certainly haven't got any issues with anyone on here. There are strong characters as there are in any group but that neither worries or annoys me. So don't worry if anyone thinks they are one of the CTC 8. No birching yourselves over my flippant comments. OK?

My 'name' Heltor Chasca is actually my Springer Spaniel's kennel name. 'Hel Tor' being an outcrop of rock where she was bred and 'Chasca' being the name I gave to her: The Incan goddess of the Dawn.

My name is Blair! I also get called Badger, Beard, Blair Hair, Dad and Daddy...

...and on here...Heltor Chasca!
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I don't really get what all this is about - but presumably I'm not one of the eight!

There are large parts of this forum that I don't often visit, so there are probably a lot of regulars with whom I don't cross paths.

I will say this. A forum is - well - a forum. Sniping, banter, a bit of name-calling, slanging-off, all these things happen. I've been many places, and almost always ended up 'flouncing' off. On the way I've put up with a lot of nasty stuff.

This forum is better than most. There is a 'clique' but it's not a very exclusive clique, it's more a case that a smallish number tend to dominate the posting statistics (mea culpa, especially when it comes to the Three Word nonsense!). Newcomers don't seem to be cold-shouldered here like there are in one or two other places I could mention...

On one of those 'other places' I refer to, they have a 'Private' section which is only visible to forummers with a certain post count threshold. On that section forummers have a habit of unleashing all their personal stuff, woes and the like: I think that was the original intention in setting up this section. But I was fearful of it becoming a haven for cliqueyness, of exclusionism, a place where people could share their distaste for lesser mortals. I think a bit of that happened too.

I don't want any such 'private' section to be set up here, no way! This is a public forum and let it remain that way!

So no criticism of you implied, HC, in putting up your recent circumstances. You decided to share, and that's welcome. I only hope this doesn't trigger a bombardment of spam from outside the forum.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

661-Pete wrote:I don't really get what all this is about - but presumably I'm not one of the eight!

There are large parts of this forum that I don't often visit, so there are probably a lot of regulars with whom I don't cross paths.

I will say this. A forum is - well - a forum. Sniping, banter, a bit of name-calling, slanging-off, all these things happen. I've been many places, and almost always ended up 'flouncing' off. On the way I've put up with a lot of nasty stuff.

This forum is better than most. There is a 'clique' but it's not a very exclusive clique, it's more a case that a smallish number tend to dominate the posting statistics (mea culpa, especially when it comes to the Three Word nonsense!). Newcomers don't seem to be cold-shouldered here like there are in one or two other places I could mention...

On one of those 'other places' I refer to, they have a 'Private' section which is only visible to forummers with a certain post count threshold. On that section forummers have a habit of unleashing all their personal stuff, woes and the like: I think that was the original intention in setting up this section. But I was fearful of it becoming a haven for cliqueyness, of exclusionism, a place where people could share their distaste for lesser mortals. I think a bit of that happened too.

I don't want any such 'private' section to be set up here, no way! This is a public forum and let it remain that way!

So no criticism of you implied, HC, in putting up your recent circumstances. You decided to share, and that's welcome. I only hope this doesn't trigger a bombardment of spam from outside the forum.

All good to know Pete. There isn't a CTC 8. It was a humorous play on the recent disappearance of a singular 'thorn' and my increased activity and banter with others on this forum since my routine took a 180 degree turn. 8 is just a nice number. The CTC 8 do not exist. If I genuinely did a tally up, I'm sure there are more than 8 characters on here! [emoji1] I'm also not a finger pointer or witch hunter. This forum is purely educational, entertaining and companionable stuff for me. I am one of those in society who prefers not to have a television.

But there you go: this just demonstrates one of the issues with forums: My quirky humour can easily misconstrued...b
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Heltor Chasca wrote:................... I am one of those in society who prefers not to have a television...........

..................which makes you interesting for a start. I have one or two cycling colleagues who have the same preference, and they are the most interesting blokes that I know - luckily their wives are of a similar persuasion. Me? - do I have TV? - yes. Do I watch it? I only watch "Match of the Day" and then only when Chelsea have been beaten! At the moment, my two heroes in life are Beryl Burton and Bradford City. My wife doesn't watch the soaps - so I'm really blessed.

To avoid being ignored Heltor, you'll have to post on every section - not all of us look on all sections.

I hope that you are beginning to recover from the trauma, and that those who call you "dad" and "daddy" are not suffering. Our two girls are in their thirties now, but "dad" is still the sweetest word I hear. My genuine best wishes to you.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

41! and 42 is the answer to the life the universe and everything.

What is 43?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Actually there are 27 000 registered users and rising

What is reason 44?
gaz

Post by gaz »

Cyril Haearn wrote:What is reason 44?

"Cheddar cheese and pickle"?

I may have miscounted and it does depend upon how you count the reasons. As an example is "Cheddar cheese and pickle" one reason or two, not to mention whether "Harpo, Groucho, Chico" are combined as a singular Marx brothers reason or three individual reasons.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Because it has a mixture of people who know nearly everything and people who know nearly nothing

A technical question gets answers with comprehensive facts, much more than one needs to know about cone types & sizes for example, +1

About politics, crime, happenings in distant countries there is often not much more than speculation and fantasy
I do love stories, +2

I know little about either subject so I spend a lot of time here :)
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

this forum and others like it are important for us old people as it keeps the brain matter working, so important to stop you getting senile( or in some cases more senile :wink: ). One good thing the internet has given us?
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I would not have expected this thread to be 'bumped' - but so it is, and hence my (and others') outpourings about 'good and bad forums' have come to the front once more, after a gap of over three years....

I still think this is a forum worth preserving, but occasionally I've had doubts. I can understand a bit of aggro when we're debating politricks - especially that awful B*****t issue and the antics of a pair of straw-headed individuals. OK by me - that's human nature. But when fur starts flying (necessitating a Mod intervention) over the thorny issue of where you stow a bike on board a train.......!? :shock:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

661-Pete wrote: OK by me - that's human nature. But when fur starts flying (necessitating a Mod intervention) over the thorny issue of where you stow a bike on board a train.......!? :shock:

:lol: :lol: That's far more important than politics!
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom