Government plans to increase speed limits to ease congestion

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
RogerThat

Re: Government plans to increase speed limits to ease conges

Post by RogerThat »

Tracked vehicles do indeed tear up tarmac surfaces, which is why you normally see tanks ect trailer mounted in the countryside.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Maybe the maximum speed limit on motorways could be increased to 71 mph. And all new vehicles must be fitted with limiters, seems a fair trade-off
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Maybe the maximum speed limit on motorways could be increased to 71 mph. And all new vehicles must be fitted with limiters, seems a fair trade-off

Can't do that. All such regulations are EU wide and as long as the Germans have no speed limits on Autobahns EU legislation must fall in with this. There is a recommendation that Autobahn users don't go over 155 and that's why many German cars are limited to this speed but not Porsche....
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

pete75 wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Maybe the maximum speed limit on motorways could be increased to 71 mph. And all new vehicles must be fitted with limiters, seems a fair trade-off

Can't do that. All such regulations are EU wide and as long as the Germans have no speed limits on Autobahns EU legislation must fall in with this. There is a recommendation that Autobahn users don't go over 155 and that's why many German cars are limited to this speed but not Porsche....

A famous maker of electric vehicles has a new one that can do 400 kmh :(
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
pwa

Re: Government plans to increase speed limits to ease congestion

Post by pwa »

My impression is that speed limits are being reduced all over the place. The exception being unclassified lanes where the National Speed Limit remains, probably because there isn't the funds to have them reassessed.

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.63458,- ... 6?hl=en-GB

This road goes up from 30 to 40 at this point, but I remember it being 60 all the way along. I'd still cycle on the parallel cycle track though, for the peace and quiet rather than for safety.