York Rally 2015

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
merseymouth

York Rally 2015

Post by merseymouth »

Hi there, Simple question - "Why is the CTC Management promoting Eroica Britannia so heavily, yet not show a single measure of support for the re-invigorated York Rally?". As the EB has illogical restrictions over who may ride what, it must surely be up to the CTC to provide for the broad spectrum of riders & machines ! TTFN MM
RogerThat

Re: York Rally 2015

Post by RogerThat »

I think probably the answer to your question is 'public profile'. The York Rally, although a long standing event (I still have my 1986 badge!) is not really well known outside of ctc and touring circles. The Eroica is a international event (which gets inches in the broadsheets and cycling press) with participants coming from all over the world and expects to peak 10,000 this year with over 80,000 visitors to the attractions. Bang per buck the CTC is right to focus on the Eroica as not only does it enhance its local profile but also an international community gets to find out about the organization and it's ethos.

If you only have a certain marketing spend to promote the CTC at large events, you're going to pick the event which has the best yield per marketing £ spent!
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

Does that extend to Cycle magazine though? What is the marginal cost of adding a few decent mentions of the Rally?

BTW, is it me or are they really keen to get their money's worth out of that Eroica picture of those 3 ladies in CTC garb!
gaz

Post by gaz »

merseymouth wrote:Hi there, Simple question - "Why is the CTC Management promoting Eroica Britannia so heavily, yet not show a single measure of support for the re-invigorated York Rally?"....

Simple answer, the York Rally is being organised independently of CTC. The organisers have already stated that they do not want assistance from CTC although they would welcome their attendance at the event at trade rates. Presumably the CTC would have accepted a request from York Rally for any advertising of the event, also at trade rates. I do not know if CTC will be attending in any formal capacity.

There are very many other cycling events that CTC is not actively promoting.

York Rally 2015 info from the organisers can be found in this thread.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
PH

Post by PH »

merseymouth wrote: yet not show a single measure of support for the re-invigorated York Rally?".

It has had some promotion Cycle Clips.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

gaz wrote:
merseymouth wrote:Hi there, Simple question - "Why is the CTC Management promoting Eroica Britannia so heavily, yet not show a single measure of support for the re-invigorated York Rally?"....

Simple answer, the York Rally is being organised independently of CTC. The organisers have already stated that they do not want assistance from CTC although they would welcome their attendance at the event at trade rates. Presumably the CTC would have accepted a request from York Rally for any advertising of the event, also at trade rates. I do not know if CTC will be attending in any formal capacity.

There are very many other cycling events that CTC is not actively promoting.

York Rally 2015 info from the organisers can be found in this thread.

Eroica Britannia is nothing to do with the CTC either. In any case CTC national HQ gave damn all support for the York Rally when it was a CTC event.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
gaz

Post by gaz »

The York Rally was independent of National Office for a long time even when it was wearing it's CTC hat. From the thread I linked above:
Si wrote:There are a number of events where it is not National Office policy to support in a major way, yet these are still merrily ticking along under their own steam, thus I wouldn't really see any Mulder & Scully type hidden plot at N.O. to do away with York unless further proof can be supplied. Indeed, I seem to remember that when N.O. did offer a bit more involvement a while ago the organisers were keen to stay independent...however, I stand to be corrected here.

As for CTC's promotion of L'Eroica, it is promoting it as a fundraiser, looking for riders to take part to raise funds for CTC. Same for Prudential RideLondon.

CTC is also looking for Volunteers to assist with marshalling and promotional activities at L'Eroica and marshalling and Dr Bike at Prudential RideLondon.

It sees both of those events as opportunities to bring CTC's message (whatever that may be) to a wider audience, could they achieve that at the York Rally?

I'd expect a number of CTC members to be involved in the organising of the York Rally but they are volunteering for the York Rally Committee, not CTC. Frankly it's hard for me to see CTC asking for Volunteers to run a publicity and information stand when such Volunteers are most likely to be the very people who are already promoting the event.

For CTC it seems to me to be very much a case of damned if they do try to support the Rally and damned if they don't:
Si wrote:Bazza, the York Show / Rally / Experience was run by its own committee (indie MG I believe ) who were not part of CTC Head Office, thus its independence has not really changed much. Head Office has offered help where it can but really it would appear that Head Office would be happy for the Rally to run itself. I guess they will damned whatever they do: if the CTC try to help the Rally organisers then they'll be accused of interfering and destroying the event, but if they stand back and let the Rally committee get on with it then they'll be accused of not helping and not caring. And if the York Rally committee should make an unpopular decision then the CTC Head Office will be blamed for it.

Time will tell.

I certainly wish the organisers of the York Rally every success and an abundance of sunshine.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

RogerThat wrote:I think probably the answer to your question is 'public profile'. The York Rally, although a long standing event (I still have my 1986 badge!) is not really well known outside of ctc and touring circles. The Eroica is a international event (which gets inches in the broadsheets and cycling press) with participants coming from all over the world and expects to peak 10,000 this year with over 80,000 visitors to the attractions. Bang per buck the CTC is right to focus on the Eroica as not only does it enhance its local profile but also an international community gets to find out about the organization and it's ethos.

If you only have a certain marketing spend to promote the CTC at large events, you're going to pick the event which has the best yield per marketing £ spent!

I agree and illustrates everything that's wrong with the CTC in it's current form :? .
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
RogerThat

Post by RogerThat »

I think the ctc do an excellent job of marketing themselves and cycling with the resources available to them. I was very much impressed by their presence (and pro active friendliness) at last year's Eroica, as were many of the foreign visitors I spoke to.

In these budget restricted times you really can't put your shoulder to every cause and event and it's important to get the best value for money for every marketing £ that's spent.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

RogerThat wrote:I think the ctc do an excellent job of marketing themselves and cycling with the resources available to them. I was very much impressed by their presence (and pro active friendliness) at last year's Eroica, as were many of the foreign visitors I spoke to.

In these budget restricted times you really can't put your shoulder to every cause and event and it's important to get the best value for money for every marketing £ that's spent.

The CTC, or to give it's full title, The Cyclists Touring Club, is a members club not a marketing organisation.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

pete75 wrote:
RogerThat wrote:I think the ctc do an excellent job of marketing themselves and cycling with the resources available to them. I was very much impressed by their presence (and pro active friendliness) at last year's Eroica, as were many of the foreign visitors I spoke to.

The CTC, or to give it's full title, The Cyclists Touring Club, is a members club not a marketing organisation.

No Pete it was :(
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi There, My issue with the "EB Beer Festival" have been stated before, chiefly their "Narrow Mindedness" (Trike restrictions).
But sadly the CTC Management are slipping back into the same narrow outlook, since Kevin Mayne departed?
Mr Tuohy talks of getting "50'000 people to start using their neglected bikes again"! Not quite the inclusive words needed.
For many years I refused to renew my membership, while the CTC used the strapline "Keeping you on two wheels", that was until confronted Kevin about it. I now regret getting a 5 year subscription, as new management = old thinking!
The CTC should not be actively promoting the "Beer Fest" to the detriment of other event over the same period, although as has been previously stated the new ethos of the so called charity is not very charitable! TTFN MM
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

merseymouth wrote:Hi there, Simple question - "Why is the CTC Management promoting Eroica Britannia so heavily, yet not show a single measure of support for the re-invigorated York Rally................

Spite?
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

JohnW wrote:
merseymouth wrote:Hi there, Simple question - "Why is the CTC Management promoting Eroica Britannia so heavily, yet not show a single measure of support for the re-invigorated York Rally................

Spite?

Precisely.

I shall be at the rally on the lightweight section if anyone wants to talk bikes and drink tea. :wink: :wink:
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
RogerThat

Post by RogerThat »

I'd be interested to see the official CTC line on this subject. I've always had a soft spot for the York Rally but I can see how Eroica is just so much more bang per bucks for getting the ctc message and brand 'out there'.

Gauntlet laid down... ;)