Pissoirs/Mens toilets

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
tyreon

Pissoirs/Mens toilets

Post by tyreon »

Remember mens toilets? I can recall when there were any number of mens urinals around city suburbs and centres. They were of all shapes and sizes and on occasion I would use them for their purpose. But these days...where have they gone? And,is anyone missing them? I recollect some Victorian gems(one of the best being in Hull)wherein giant marbled tombed panels separated users. They were done out with style,class,brass and occasional stained glass. Down south I am sure I can recall using a pissoir(of French design)in a seaside town. This was the sort where your head appeared above the parapet and your legs were exposed but the 'business end' was obviously shielded. What happened to them? Have mens bladders become stronger or walls and bushes now replaced purpose built urinals?

I guess cost was one factor why many closed down. Another was 'cottaging'(tho that would not be a crime these days,yes?)

I googled pissoirs and came up with some architectural gems. Then I thought of France,the Mecca of pissoirs,and thought...hey,I haven't seen them there for a time. Hope they're not disappearing
LollyKat

Re: Pissoirs/Mens toilets

Post by LollyKat »

Have you read Clochemerle? The 1972 TV version is also available on DVD. Both are very funny.
nez

Post by nez »

Good cycling link Lollycat
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

There's an impressive one at the Chiltern Open Air Museum, relocated there from Caversham.

http://www.coam.org.uk/about-us/historic-buildings/caversham-public-convenience/

It's fully functional and accessible without paying an entrance fee. This has proved quite “convenient “ for me on occasions as it's on one of my local routes.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

My favourite is at Pingvellir in Iceland

Competely glass walls
RogerThat

Post by RogerThat »

You can't beat the convenience, of an al fresco convenience...
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

There are still some in the Digbeth area of Brummagem. traditional cast iron jobs. Painted from time to time, but not in service.
I find myself wondering if they were ever connected to the sewers...

At any rate, I understand that over most of the country they have been superseded by shop doorways... :twisted:
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully... That hasn't changed!
Pyranha

Post by Pyranha »

There are rising urinals set into the street in Lomdom, according to the BBC. A little less discreet in use than a proper pissoir.
tyreon

Post by tyreon »

Norman H: That Chiltern job is a 5* if it's still as 'original'.

We also have the demise of the 'attendant' supervised toilet. You still get them on the continent,and very well kept they are too.

I see there is a Best Kept Toilet Award given sometime every year to some toilet. I think it's well valued by those with 'urgent medical needs',usually the more elderly.

I believe the toilet where Wilfred Bramble(Steptoe) was once arrested for cottaging is now a restaurant. I think it's at the back of Oxford St,close to the water pump where cholera was first identified.

And which reminds me: visited John Wesley's Methodist church in London recently. Downstairs is the 'working(?)' Victorian crapper.
Manc33

Post by Manc33 »

Pissoir, sounds like a foreign footballer.
He could play alongside Danny Shittu.

And running down the wing its Enrique Pissoir, he dribbles around Penor, he looks up, sees Danny Shittu to his right who receives the ball and in turn floats a great one in.
We'll always be together, together on electric bikes.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

We've now hit rock bottom(sorry)in the tea shop,I thought things were bad when we began discussing urinals,but Russell Brand's got two threads in his honour :shock:

Before we know where wee are we'll be discussing religion,that should attract the Mods.I did say we were at rockers bottom,(oops,there I go again,another pair of trousers ruined :oops: )
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Sorry John,… ..
I have used this… the greatest public toilet in the land.http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserRe ... tland.html

..on my tour of the inner hebrides.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

al_yrpal wrote:Sorry John,…

Well it is about toilets :wink: .....
W H Auden
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

You can even get postcards from the lady that collects the fees…
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

al_yrpal wrote:You can even get postcards from the lady that collects the fees…

LADY!! :shock:
In a gents toilet :shock:
Fees you say :wink:
ooh er! :shock:

'e by gum,a little worrying is that Al,and you a Tory too :roll:
Last edited by reohn2 on 4 May 2015, 8:21pm, edited 1 time in total.
W H Auden