View from the bridge

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: View from the bridge

Post by Mick F »

Tadcaster Bridge.

Excerpt from an email from Chat Noir.
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=13467

I see that the bridge at Tadcaster has just collapsed. Some of our favourite
bike cafes are in the town, will need to plan carefully how we deal with the
enforced diversions and still allow time to stop. Funnily enough, we were
walking in the fields and woods around Tad this afternoon and wanted to go
to a café but the bridge was closed at the time (flooding), only to collapse
3 hours later.
Mick F. Cornwall
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
You need to stand along way back to see this and then not possible to see all of it.
"Stover Way A38 Bridge Crossing"............ :?
I am sure it will see use but how much you canatell.
Attachments
2016-01-16_221239_A.jpg
Phew I need a rest.
Phew I need a rest.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
colin54

Post by colin54 »

The view of the River Yarrow from Alance bridge during last summer's warm weather, and the same view last week, a bit different. It feeds the Yarrow Reservoir, part of the Rivington Reservoirs, supplying drinking water to Liverpool.

P1100044.JPG

P1110702.JPG

https://web.archive.org/web/20120223180 ... asp?id=775
They were looking pretty depleted at one point.
P1100039.JPG
Nu-Fogey
colin54

Post by colin54 »

View of a bridge really. I've noticed this 'skew' bridge on the Leeds - Liverpool canal just south of Chorley where a railway line crosses it at an oblique angle. I was amazed how the curved stones were carved,
they appear to change direction in the middle of the span.The bridge was built in 1838, and is mentioned in the wikipedia article .It's built to a logarithmic pattern apparently, some clever folks about,
the designer and the stone masons, not me though, it just boggles my mind.
Views from both directions.
P1110916 (1024x636).jpg

P1110917 (1024x424).jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skew_arch
Nu-Fogey
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I rode under that bridge on Tuesday pm this week,stopping off at Adlington Marina Cafe on the way home :)
We'll have to have ride out that way together,if you're up for it give me a PM :)

EDIT,BTW from the marina at Adlington to Cowling bridge has to be the worst bit of laid tarmac I've ever come across :(
Last edited by reohn2 on 11 Apr 2019, 4:10pm, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I took my first longish ride of the year on 24 Feb. It was perhaps 40 miles, mostly along rivers. I took a few pictures thinking of this thread, but hadn't got round to uploading them. So, here they are. It was a warm day for February. I think it got up to 8 degrees, but there was plenty of snow this winter. Some of it still hasn't melted.
Attachments
20190224_165207s.jpg
20190224_174550s.jpg
20190224_165845s.jpg
20190224_165735.jpg
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Hammersmith Bridge 'closed indefinitely' after faults found

... pedestrians and cyclists will retain access to the crossing from Barnes to Hammersmith.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-47891838
RickH

Post by RickH »

colin54 wrote:View of a bridge really. I've noticed this 'skew' bridge on the Leeds - Liverpool canal just south of Chorley where a railway line crosses it at an oblique angle. I was amazed how the curved stones were carved,
they appear to change direction in the middle of the span.The bridge was built in 1838, and is mentioned in the wikipedia article .It's built to a logarithmic pattern apparently, some clever folks about,
$matches[2]
P1110917 (1024x424).jpg

I rode under there quite recently too but hadn't twigged the skew arch nature of it.

I was aware of the Store St Aqueduct on the Ashton Canal, near Piccadilly Station & completed in 1798, mentioned in your link (where the canal goes over the road). I'd ridden & walked over that one many times before I became aware of its uniqueness.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
colin54

Post by colin54 »

It's easy to take bridges for granted, they can almost go unnoticed until there's a problem, like the Hammersmith one mentioned above.
In contrast to the sophistication of the skew bridge, I happened upon this bridge made from about five pieces of rough hewn stone , I wonder how old it is ? The stream drops a few feet the other side of it into a narrow gorge, I'd never noticed it before yesterday, half way up Winter Hill. A bit of a feat itself in it's own way, the two slabs on top must weigh a good bit.The water flows through a slightly more modern bit of concrete pipe upstream of it. I imagine there are thousands like these around the country, just as useful as modern bridges in their day. Maybe a sheep crossing ?
P1110942.JPG
Nu-Fogey
RickH

Post by RickH »

colin54 wrote:It's easy to take bridges for granted, they can almost go unnoticed until there's a problem, like the Hammersmith one mentioned above.

It is easy to miss the niceties of the bridge itself. Not cycling but walking at the weekend (started & finished at Turton Tower) & we went over a small bridge at Turton Bottoms. The views from it were nice, lots of ducks in the stream. While we were waiting for some stragglers I wondered what the bridge itself was like & spotting a way down the bank went to investigate...

Bridge at Turton Bottoms
Bridge at Turton Bottoms

colin54 wrote:In contrast to the sophistication of the skew bridge, I happened upon this bridge made from about five pieces of rough hewn stone , I wonder how old it is ? The stream drops a few feet the other side of it into a narrow gorge, I'd never noticed it before yesterday, half way up Winter Hill. A bit of a feat itself in it's own way, the two slabs on top must weigh a good bit.The water flows through a slightly more modern bit of concrete pipe upstream of it. I imagine there are thousands like these around the country, just as useful as modern bridges in their day. Maybe a sheep crossing ?
P1110942.JPG

Whereabouts "half way up Winter Hill"? We've lived up on Winter Hill overlooking Horwich for over 35 years & I'm still finding new places & things! :D There's been a lot of activity over the centuries that has often left its mark hidden away.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
colin54

Post by colin54 »

[quote="RickH"/
Whereabouts "half way up Winter Hill"?[/quote]
On the left just before the steep bit up to the 90 degree left hand bend, I'd stopped for a rest that's how I noticed it.Street view going down the hill so you can see it.It crosses Dean Brook which goes under the road, I hadn't noticed !
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.63402 ... 6656?hl=en
Nu-Fogey
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

colin54 wrote:View of a bridge really. I've noticed this 'skew' bridge on the Leeds - Liverpool canal just south of Chorley where a railway line crosses it at an oblique angle. I was amazed how the curved stones were carved,
$matches[2]
P1110917 (1024x424).jpg

The house we are about to move into was once occupied by William Froude who designed a skew bridge on the Bristol to Exeter Railway Line. Froude was a prodigious Victorian mathmetician Engineer, Hydrodynamicist and Naval Architect, who initialy worked for IK Brunel.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

colin54 wrote:It's easy to take bridges for granted, they can almost go unnoticed until there's a problem, like the Hammersmith one mentioned above.
In contrast to the sophistication of the skew bridge, I happened upon this bridge made from about five pieces of rough hewn stone , I wonder how old it is ? The stream drops a few feet the other side of it into a narrow gorge, I'd never noticed it before yesterday, half way up Winter Hill. A bit of a feat itself in it's own way, the two slabs on top must weigh a good bit.The water flows through a slightly more modern bit of concrete pipe upstream of it. I imagine there are thousands like these around the country, just as useful as modern bridges in their day. Maybe a sheep crossing ?
P1110942.JPG

I know that place well,I'm usually hitting 40mph down the hill behind where the photo was taken :D
It 's more than likely a sheep crossing or part of the old drove road between Rivington and Belmont.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

since retiring in 2016 I've not been able to get out on the bike as much as I would like to :oops: , so when I saw this thread revival I was determind to get out and get a picture, so 20 miles and a pair of dysfunctional legs later :lol: :lol:]
the bridge
the bridge

the view, the tunnel under runway 25 right at Manchester airport
the view, the tunnel under runway 25 right at Manchester airport

the river is the Bollin.
like a cathedral inside
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

Went for a pleasant pootle today and while the hordes of holiday-makers were struggling to get down the narrow road to Whitesands Beach just outside St.Davids, we turned off and headed across Dowrog Common, where we enjoyed a picnic sat on the bridge, with distant views to Carn Llidi.
Didn't see a motor car the whole time we were there. :)

1904-202Moto.jpg