View from the bridge

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
colin54

Re: View from the bridge

Post by colin54 »

There was a road closed sign at the top Back Lane, Newburgh leading down to a local powered swing-bridge crossing the canal, I thought I'd roll the Carra-dice and see if I could get across anyway. A bit of luck, pontoon!
Cars could not cross due to bridge repairs but the Canal and River Trust had put this plastic pontoon (floating bridge) in place, which could be walked across with a bicycle, it felt surprisingly stable. A lot of these swing bridges on the canals are manually operated but this one is swung by an electrically controlled hydraulic pump and ram, they were doing repairs to the system by the look of things.
P1140816.JPG

P1140819.JPG
Nu-Fogey
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Colin
Rode out that way yesterday(on Honda powered machine)on the way to Southport and saw the sign.
About five years ago they were building a new bridge on the River Weaver at Dutton Locks(just down stream from Acton Bridge swingbridge on the A49) and had a similar floating bridge that cars could drive over who needed access to the houses at the locks,like you I was impressed by the stability.

Nice photos,as ever,thanks :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
colin54

Post by colin54 »

reohn2 wrote:Colin
Rode out that way yesterday(on Honda powered machine)on the way to Southport and saw the sign.
About five years ago they were building a new bridge on the River Weaver at Dutton Locks(just down stream from Acton Bridge swingbridge on the A49) and had a similar floating bridge that cars could drive over who needed access to the houses at the locks,like you I was impressed by the stability.

Nice photos,as ever,thanks :)

Cheers John, If you or anyone else is out and about over this way Wanes Blade Road/Mains Lane is closed at the Bridge where the River Tawd joins the River Douglas, you can't get across it by bike or even by foot.
I might go and have a look at it today just to see what's occuring.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.60690 ... 6656?hl=en
Nu-Fogey
PH

Post by PH »

It won't win any prizes for the view, but Derby's latest pedestrian/cycle bride is a very useful crossing of the A52 which slices the city in two even more so than the river. 18 months late, partly due to Covid, and apparently way over budget, along with all the A52 road widening works, it's a great improvement over what was there before. I have no idea why it's so high, I understand the width is so an emergency vehicle can use it if needed. I've crossed it over a dozen times and it's not been open a week yet. They're still working on some of the approach paths.
Br-1.jpg

Br2.jpg

And the obligatory bike on a bridge photo
Br-3.jpg
colin54

Post by colin54 »

The closed Wanes Blade Rd / Mains Rd bridge re-opened this week. They had been shot-blasting &
painting the railings, it looked like a big job and entailed shrouding scaffolding in plastic covering
you can see how high the river gets by the vegetation stuck in the scaffolding in the first picture (click).
Road re-opened and scaffolding off in second picture.

P1140843.JPG

P1120018.JPG

I was impressed that the pontoon bridge on the canal mentioned previously,has lighting and the muddy path around the back of the house leading to it is also lit , top job !
P1140907.JPG
Nu-Fogey
colin54

Post by colin54 »

I went under the canal bridge (aquaduct more accurately I suppose) pictured in this previous post.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=98044&start=105#p1455329
I think they were lining the canal bed out with clay to prevent leakage, it didn't work unfortunately, if that
was indeed the case. I had a ride up the disused railway line under the canal yesterday, water still pouring down.
The scale of the stonework on the canal and elsewhere in these parts is truly impressive, there must have been thousands of stonemasons employed back then. Click to enlarge.
P1130123.JPG

The water is also getting behind the wall on one side and is pouring through.
P1130135.JPG

I wonder if the problem is related to the steel construction method, it looks like a brick lining behind the steelwork.
P1130130.JPG
Nu-Fogey
RickH

Post by RickH »

You're in a cutting there, so below ground level. It may just be water from the completely saturated ground behind finding it's way out. I've certainly seen plenty of places nowhere near a canal doing similar in recent weeks.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Wimps crossing the Avonmouth M5 bridge. (lejog).
Wimps M5 bridge.jpeg

Wimps C2C
Wimps bridge a.jpeg

Wimps C2C - don't look down.
Wimps C2C bridge.jpeg
You'll never know if you don't try it.
colin54

Post by colin54 »

RickH wrote:You're in a cutting there, so below ground level. It may just be water from the completely saturated ground behind finding it's way out. I've certainly seen plenty of places nowhere near a canal doing similar in recent weeks.
Quite possibly so Rick, though the water from the bridge seems to be a permanent feature, but I'd not noticed it coming out of the stone wall before.The ground sure is full at the moment.
Nu-Fogey
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Bere Ferrers station.
Tamar Valley Line.
IMG_0395.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

colin54 wrote:The closed Wanes Blade Rd / Mains Rd bridge re-opened this week. They had been shot-blasting &
painting the railings, it looked like a big job and entailed shrouding scaffolding in plastic covering
you can see how high the river gets by the vegetation stuck in the scaffolding in the first picture (click).
Road re-opened and scaffolding off in second picture.

$matches[2]

$matches[2]
I was impressed that the pontoon bridge on the canal mentioned previously,has lighting and the muddy path around the back of the house leading to it is also lit , top job !
P1140907.JPG

Nice bike
I am here. Where are you?
RickH

Post by RickH »

Minding grandchildren for their mum this morning. I decided to make the most of the nice weather & take a "long cut" back via Wigan Top Lock & Haigh Hall.
DSC_3865.JPG
_20210601_134420.JPG
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

It's 55years+ perhaps, since I was last there! :D
Mick F. Cornwall
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Will be on the canal but I doubt we'll be down that far.
I am here. Where are you?
colin54

Post by colin54 »

I had a ride down the pier at Southport yesterday and took some picture of the Marine way bridge, an impressive structure.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marine_Way_Bridge
Close-up.
P1150752.JPG
View from the end of pier across the mud at low tide.
P1150748.JPG
Picture at the foot of the support cables, with a cyclist for a better sense of scale.
P1150753.JPG
It crosses an artificial lake, which becomes a yachting lake a bit further north, I like Southport, lots to see and do for a holidaying visitor.
Nu-Fogey