View from the bridge

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
colin54

Re: View from the bridge

Post by colin54 »

Cowsham wrote: 21 Nov 2021, 9:22am View from the top of the Bingley 5 lock rise looking over Salts Mill.

20210630_104845.jpg
A nice cafe at the top I remember, did it feel claustrophobic in those deep locks ?
Did you curse when you got to the next flight of three just after that , there's more ! ?
Nu-Fogey
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

No pics, I fear but in the early post-war years when we lived in Armley, Leeds, coal was delivered to the then newly-built Kirkstall power-station in horse-drawn barges, which were unloaded by cranes with grab-buckets. We combined watching them with trainspotting. There used to be a toyshop called the Dolls' Hospital, in the County Arcade, near the Mecca ballroom, later of Jimmy Savile notoriety. The DH had a red toy crane with a grab-bucket on display which I coveted but never owned.

There were also two bridges on the canal tow-path, newly-built over the sort of canal siding where the barges were unloaded
Jules59

Post by Jules59 »

IMG_20210610_135415397.jpg
Carrbridge on the LEJOG this year

how do you rotate pics on here ?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

IMG_20210610_135415397-2.jpg
IMG_20210610_135415397-2.jpg (69.94 KiB) Viewed 1086 times
Jules59 wrote: 21 Nov 2021, 11:41pm... how do you rotate pics on here ?
I don't know. I did that by downloading, rotating and uploading rather than using any tools provided by the site.

Jonathan
colin54

Post by colin54 »

Jules59 wrote: 21 Nov 2021, 11:41pm IMG_20210610_135415397.jpg

how do you rotate pics on here ?
Wow, what a graceful looking bridge, and a lovely background.

Here's a waning moon I took a picture of yesterday morning on the way to the boot sale, it showed a red aura as a cloud floated across it and was reflected in the water beneath,on L&L canal swing bridge by The Slipway pub just past Burscough, West Lanc's.
P1160015 (3).JPG
They are replacing the lock gates at the start of the Rufford Branch of the L&L and have drained it by pumping out the water. The white building in the background on the left, is 'The Ship Inn' in Wheat Lane, Lathom, note that the pint glass in the foreground of the picture is still almost full.
Apparently a local 'supping' legend, is that a young Royal Navy rating fell in whilst on Shore Leave over 50 years ago, 'he didn't spill a drop', one awestruck youthful Public Bar 'regular' said recently, 'I think they said his name was Mick or something'. '
'It happened just after two bells', croaked an elderly local known only as 'Old Salt', who was sat unnoticed in a dark corner of the bar, slowly savouring a large tot of 'Lamb's Navy' whilst pulling as hard on his second 'Senior Service' of the day as his raddled lungs would allow, praying he avoided the new Landlord's wrath by sitting next to an open porthole.
'.....'The old Landlord was always good for a drop of 'afters' ' he said; appearing quite misty eyed as he recalled 50 odd years of his 'misspent' youth. ' The bloke clambered out of the drink and asked for another pint, he said 'this one's cloudy' , I was there that night, I know' ; After recounting this likely story he politely hawked into an adjacent spittoon as if in admiration of the fondly remembered young Matelot's style ... took a deeper swallow of his rum, and resumed his study of a damp 1972 copy of 'Navy Times he'd just stumbled upon laid on the towpath.
Having heard enough of this nonsense, the Landlord piped our storyteller abroad with a hefty shove and these words, 'Get aht' (he was a despised southerner), yer can't smoke in boozers anymore 'Pugwash' - and take that .......parrot wiv you, it's eaten all me nuts off the bar.
The assembled Audi and 4x4 owners resumed their deep fried squid starters 'marineated (sic) in it's own ink', and tutted amongst
themselves at the type of people allowed in 'their' pub nowadays, and silently resumed noshing their 'fine aquatic dining experience'.

P1160025 (2).JPG
P1160031 (2).JPG
Who knows, it may even be true ! :)
viewtopic.php?p=1653151#p1653151
Last edited by colin54 on 22 Nov 2021, 11:00am, edited 1 time in total.
Nu-Fogey
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

colin54 wrote: 21 Nov 2021, 8:10pm
Cowsham wrote: 21 Nov 2021, 9:22am View from the top of the Bingley 5 lock rise looking over Salts Mill.

20210630_104845.jpg
A nice cafe at the top I remember, did it feel claustrophobic in those deep locks ?
Did you curse when you got to the next flight of three just after that , there's more ! ?
No I just enjoyed the whole experience -- the reason we went that direction from skipton was because the 5 lock rise is manned and at that time I was still suffering injuries from the bad off ( well documented here ) so couldn't do the lock gates.

Everything that side of skipton is swing gates so my youngster was able to push them open and shut ( most of the time -- got some help from passers by and other boaters )

The only problem was on the way back up the 5 rise was that I had to watch out for one or two big stones that stuck out of the wall which could catch on the boat and damage it so I had to push it / steer it away from the sides. The volunteers warn you where the stones are.

I enjoyed using the combination of engine and rudder to keep the boat away from the sides and especially the shelf of the lock. A bit tricky as the boat only steers in forward gear so you have to think ahead as everything happens in delayed action. An odd time I pushed against the wall with my foot if I mucked up.
I am here. Where are you?
colin54

Post by colin54 »

Thanks for the reply Cowsham, I've noted recently that some of the boaters have their boats equipped with bow thrusters to aid with low speed steering manouvering .
I used to ride that way to Silsden most Mondays when I lived in Leeds, and I worked out that the slope of the path at the side of the Five Rise Lock is exactly 20%, I could pedal to the top,..... just.
Glad you enjoyed your trip.
Nu-Fogey
Jules59

Post by Jules59 »

Jdsk wrote: 21 Nov 2021, 11:44pm
I don't know. I did that by downloading, rotating and uploading rather than using any tools provided by the site.

Jonathan
It was the correct way up when I uploaded it.
I'm on another forum where pics sometimes get rotated when uploaded, but they can be rotated back in one's forum gallery.
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

Jules59 wrote: 21 Nov 2021, 11:41pm IMG_20210610_135415397.jpg
Is that Sluggan Bridge at NH 870 220? I went over that in October but don't remember it being so picturesque.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Carrbridge is on the Old A9 on the way north from Pitlochry to Inverness.

Dunno why the Mercian photo came out twice.
Mercian JOGLE in 1994 and Chopper JOGLE in 2010
Carbridge.jpg
Carbridge.jpg
Attachments
image.png
image.png (242.28 KiB) Viewed 965 times
Mick F. Cornwall
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I think some like looking at there bikes posted on this site :)

But I am confused as to why mick has so much luggage, maybe he sneaked in some camping trips and couldn't decide what to leave at home :lol:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Jogle on Mercian unsupported 11 days in 1994 mainly youth hostels.
Jogle on the Chopper with trailer. 3 weeks in 2010 unsupported mainly B+Bs.

My Lejog and Back in 2006 on Mercian with trailer doesn't have a photo at Carrbridge.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

How about this one?
ab FRB.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
peetee

Post by peetee »

Ooo, goody. I had hoped a picture of the Forth rail bridge would feature eventually. IMHO the most magnificent, beautiful structure ever built. :D
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
colin54

Post by colin54 »

Mick F wrote: 3 Dec 2021, 9:14am How about this one?
You could entitle it four wheels, Forth Bridge, Mick.
Perhaps not, I'll get me cape....
A nicely constructed stone bridge built in open farmland, Bridge 3 on the Rufford Branch of The L&L canal.
The canal ends up in The River Douglas at Tarleton Lock which then flows into the River Ribble upstream from Preston, boats can then get a piloted passage across the river into the Lancaster Canal which heads further north.
Some pictures of that in the link below.

http://www.penninewaterways.co.uk/ll/ll93.htm
P1160032.JPG
P1160034.JPG
Nu-Fogey