View from the bridge

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cowsham

Re: View from the bridge

Post by Cowsham »

If you managed to get yourself up on that pipe and fell you'd probably die cos the water isn't deep enough to break your fall.
I am here. Where are you?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Colin
I know that structure well :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

colin54 wrote: 18 Nov 2021, 8:47am Form following function, a rather graceful bridge carrying gas over the L&L Canal, with slightly less elegant anti-vandal fluttering eyelashes at each end.
P1150914.JPG
P1150916 (2).JPG
One pipe larger in diameter than the other for some reason.
That's near Burscough on the way towards Newburgh if my memory serves me.
Mick F. Cornwall
colin54

Post by colin54 »

That's it Mick.
Nu-Fogey
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Last in that direction..............

Six years ago perhaps.

We drove to Newburgh to stay at the Red Lion to go to a wedding reception and evening do at Briers Hall Lathom. Mrs Mick F and daughters took a taxi back to the Red Lion, but I walked back to the RL.

Down (if you can call "down" in that part of the world!) towards Hoscar and turned right up Back Lane and crossed the LL Canal to Newburgh past the school and out by the Post Office to turn left up the road by Newburgh Green to the Red Lion.

Red Lion was one of the first pubs I went into .......... aged 17.
Played darts in the "tap room" with my mates. Three pints of Burtonwood, and then walked back home up Cobbs Brow Lane.
Probably not been on the LL Canal since then other than our wedding reception on a canal barge in Burscough November 1973.
Rowland Boatel moored just down from the Methodist school and chapel
Married at the chapel. :D

This is us on the Roland Boatel in Burscough.
Cake.jpg
You and Me.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Lovely couple Mick -- you look like me at about 19 yrs but there is where the similarities ended cos I'd be bald by about 22!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

She 17 and me just 21. First daughter born less than two years later.
It's 50years in January since we met. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Mick F wrote: 19 Nov 2021, 8:59am She 17 and me just 21. First daughter born less than two years later.
It's 50years in January since we met. :D
These days some people might think that's too young to be married but I think it's a great time to marry. If I'd had my life over I'd have married younger. When I was married at 27 I was one of the last of my peers to tie the knot. All the girls of my age were old married women with kids by that stage. Now all grannies and grandas I feel left out again.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Cowsham wrote: 19 Nov 2021, 9:39am These days some people might think that's too young to be married but I think it's a great time to marry. If I'd had my life over I'd have married younger. When I was married at 27 I was one of the last of my peers to tie the knot. All the girls of my age were old married women with kids by that stage. Now all grannies and grandas I feel left out again.
I don't know... I was not mature enough to marry, then. I moved in with my ex when I was 21, and it proved to be a poor choice. I'm glad we didn't have any children. I have some friends who did marry at that age and later regretted it.

I do think that there are some advantages to marrying and/or starting a family later in life. Mental and emotional maturity and economic stability are probably the most significant elements, but not the only ones. The main disadvantage is (maybe) not having as much energy to chase after the little ones (for those who have children later in life).

Obviously, this sort of thing is different for everyone, but I was into my 30s before I met someone I wanted to have children with.

I know folks my age who have nearly grown grandkids, and one person a couple of years older than me who just had her first great grandchild. My kids are 12 & 15. On the other hand, many of my friends from school days, either have children a similar age to mine, or just a bit older, and the same with my generation in my family (cousins, siblings, step-siblings).

I am a better parent for having had them later in life, but I know that's not true for everyone.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

We were lucky perhaps.
Met on a blind date, and sort of hit it off straight away. I was just 19 and she 15 nearly 16.
Very happily married despite my being at sea and away for weeks/months every now and then. She's a stalwart and kept everything running as a "single parent" of the two girls.

We still have all the letters we wrote to each other over the years. Letters? Who remembers letters these days? :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

I'll probably get into trouble for this next observation / opinion but I think people are waiting far too long these days to have kids. I think the older the parents the more chance of health problems for the kids. Just more chance not an inevitability.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Cowsham wrote: 19 Nov 2021, 10:51am I'll probably get into trouble for this next observation / opinion but I think people are waiting far too long these days to have kids. I think the older the parents the more chance of health problems for the kids. Just more chance not an inevitability.
The increasing rate of Down syndrome in the children of older women is well known, and the same effect, although smaller, is seen in men. But we can now offer screening for that.

The same is true for some other congenital abnormalities.

But there are many other factors including further education and financial stability. It would be a big mistake to make this decision based only on the problem of congenital abnormalities without taking all of these into account.

Jonathan
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

The age at which people have children seems to be increasingly unrelated to the age they marry. The legal side seems to be lagging in that a married couple are often in a different position to an unmarried couple, although that is slowly being changed. I get the impression it's something that it would be better with more info at the least.

On a slightly different point, twenty-odd years ago when I was a volunteer advisor at CAB, it was totally taboo/ verboten to refer to anything other than a "partner" except when advising on the aspects of legislation which were specifically different for married people: it caused some confusion, especially with older couples who tended to assume partner = business partner. Now that same-sex marriages are possible, wife/husband seem to be acceptable words again
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

thirdcrank wrote: 19 Nov 2021, 12:45pm The age at which people have children seems to be increasingly unrelated to the age they marry. The legal side seems to be lagging in that a married couple are often in a different position to an unmarried couple, although that is slowly being changed. I get the impression it's something that it would be better with more info at the least.

On a slightly different point, twenty-odd years ago when I was a volunteer advisor at CAB, it was totally taboo/ verboten to refer to anything other than a "partner" except when advising on the aspects of legislation which were specifically different for married people: it caused some confusion, especially with older couples who tended to assume partner = business partner. Now that same-sex marriages are possible, wife/husband seem to be acceptable words again
Not if you're biologically a woman or man but don't want to be known as such -- confused? - you should be.
colin54

Post by colin54 »

A great story Mick, it sounds like you are both blessed.
Here's a fuller view of that bridge framing a narrow boat, and another one a bit further along of a narrow boat fuming a bridge. I liked the early morning mist being burned off the surface of the water, and the smoke from the boat's funnel in the second picture, it's laden with fallen branches, bow & stern . A moorhen floats along in the foreground. Bridge 35 between Newburgh and Burscough.
P1150889 (2).JPG
P1150884 (3).JPG
Nu-Fogey