View from the bridge

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
colin54

Re: View from the bridge

Post by colin54 »

Thanks Rick, I'll have a mooch up there next time I'm passing.
Nu-Fogey
RickH

Post by RickH »

colin54 wrote:Thanks Rick, I'll have a mooch up there next time I'm passing.

Where the canal crosses under the road at Red Rock. If you take the road down the hill a couple of hundred yards there is a small car park on the right with access to the railway line. It is the same line that crosses the canal about 2/3 of the way up the flight of locks - also a cycle route but not a continuous route with the Red Rock one.

Click to enlarge
Click to enlarge
(Google Maps link)

The other end links to the canal via steps where the canal goes over the river Douglas at Adlington. I think you can get via a path & minor road (Harrison Road) to the next bridge over the canal but I've not been that way. There is also an intermediate link between the canal & rail line using a farm track bridleway about half way along, a short way north of the muddy cutting section.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
colin54

Post by colin54 »

Rick, kind of you to take the trouble, much appreciated. I know the car park you mean, I went past it on the way back . I think I've possibly been on that track a bit further up via a bridge over the canal, but I may be mistaken, it's all a bit unknown territory up there for me, I'll have a look anyway, thanks.
Nu-Fogey
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Another memory from me! :D

We lived here.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.57654 ... 312!8i6656

On a Sunday morning, I would ride my bike down the road under the railway bridge (now long-since gone) to the paper shop opposite the bottom of the Red Rock lane ........... near the Bleach Works (again, long-since gone).

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.58428 ... 312!8i6656

I would pick up the People and the Pictorial and take them home to Mum and Dad.
The shop was run by the Mr and Mrs Williams ........... and their son Ian was at school with me.
Mick F. Cornwall
colin54

Post by colin54 »

Mick, there's a closed pub at the top of Red Rock Lane by the canal bridge called Bridge 63, I suspect it must have been called something different back in your day. I've lived over this way for 4 years now and I don't think I've ever seen it open. I took a picture of the Post Box on it's wall the other day as it was a Victorian one (still open).
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.58417 ... 6656?hl=en
P1120492.JPG

I live at the Newburgh end of Skem, so that's the way I normally get out of town, I only have to brave one roundabout then, so I quite often pass places that I've seen mentioned in your posts .
Nu-Fogey
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes, I remember the pub. We often drove that way, over the humped-back bridge with the pub on the left (heading for Standish direction).
Can't remember the name of it back then. We moved out to Wrightington when I was nine.

Robin House. Mum named it that, after we bought it and modernised it. It used to be a shop with the front door on Highmoor Lane. I painted the Robin House name on the stone post. Still there! :D

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.59856 ... 312!8i6656

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.59856 ... 312!8i6656

Moved from there to a brand new bungalow in Newburgh in about 1966 aged 14.
Ranleigh Drive.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.58435 ... 312!8i6656

Mrs Mick F is Burscough-Girl. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

colin54 wrote:Rick, kind of you to take the trouble, much appreciated. I know the car park you mean, I went past it on the way back . I think I've possibly been on that track a bit further up via a bridge over the canal, but I may be mistaken, it's all a bit unknown territory up there for me, I'll have a look anyway, thanks.

Beaten to it by Rick,from the car park in Rick's photo that track leads directly to Adlington where it steeply descends to the River Douglas passing under the L&L,where you go under the canal and up a short stepped climb(walk)and join the L&L towpath just after the 90degree turn in the canal.
The L&L towpath is a nicer ride though IMHO.

The pub at Red Rock used to called be The Crawford Arm BITD I did bit of googling:- http://wiganworld.co.uk/communicate/mb_ ... ubject=the old Crawford Arms pub at Red Rock
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Stratford-upon-avon canal: Edstone Aqueduct

100_3736.JPG

100_3721.jpg

100_3732.jpg

100_3720.jpg
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Coincidentally I just yesterday watched a short film on YouTube about that very aquaduct posted by a couple living on a narrowboat,quite interesting :)
W H Auden
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

reohn2 wrote:Coincidentally I just yesterday watched a short film on YouTube about that very aquaduct posted by a couple living on a narrowboat,quite interesting :)

you notice the narrow boat is on the side near the walkway and the people there. I dont think I would want to look down the other side. would probably experience vertigo
colin54

Post by colin54 »

Nice pictures mercalia, there must be a fair amount of weight in just the water, impressive.
Good to see your '1-Down', mine's just getting it's post winter fettle at the moment.
r2 thanks for that I had an investigate last night, and that is the track I'd been on previously, but accessed further along the towpath, a bit of it is a farm road which was under about 10'' of water for a short stretch as I recall.
I've cycled all the L&L in sections from both ends of the canal, I think that stretch above Wigan is as nice as any of them.
Mick I remember you'd mentioned Robin House before and looked out for it when I went past.
There is now a posh cafe in the Post Office at Newburgh (PO still open).Towards Skem there is another cafe attached to a garden centre with indoor and outdoor fishing ponds. I think you linked a street view in the same spot a while back, picking tatties or something when it was farmland, on that corner anyway ?
The place is called Applecast, It has a charitable function you can read about here, if it's of interest to you.
http://www.castnw.net/
Nu-Fogey
Morzedec

Post by Morzedec »

He1 He! He! Go on then, all of you, identify this one for me.

And the one after as well !

Happy days,
Attachments
YYY.jpg
XXX.jpg
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mercalia wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Coincidentally I just yesterday watched a short film on YouTube about that very aquaduct posted by a couple living on a narrowboat,quite interesting :)

you notice the narrow boat is on the side near the walkway and the people there. I dont think I would want to look down the other side. would probably experience vertigo

Heights have never bothered me,falling from them is another matter entirely though :shock: :wink:
W H Auden
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

mercalia wrote:Stratford-upon-avon canal: Edstone Aqueduct

100_3736.JPG

100_3721.jpg

100_3732.jpg

100_3720.jpg

taken with a Kodak EasyShare CX7530 pocket 5 mp camera

great little camera with auto focus zoom lens, has optical viewfinder that zooms, as well as normal rear screen, uses 2 AA batterys and takes an SD card. will record simple video with sound

I have a few of these since they are quite old now and if you can find one shouldnt cost more than £5 on ebay.
ideal camera for cycle touring as 5mp is fine
RickH

Post by RickH »

colin54 wrote:Rick, kind of you to take the trouble, much appreciated. I know the car park you mean, I went past it on the way back . I think I've possibly been on that track a bit further up via a bridge over the canal, but I may be mistaken, it's all a bit unknown territory up there for me, I'll have a look anyway, thanks.

Just a note to mention that the Adlington (Northern) end of the path is closed - until Jan next year if I read the sign right (note to self: take a photo of notices to confirm what they say later). I can't comment on the current state of the Red Rock end as I joined the railway line at the bridleway part way along, that was mentioned previously.

reohn2 wrote:The L&L towpath is a nicer ride though IMHO.

This is even more applicable for now.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.